Returning production | Syracusefan.com

Returning production

HRE Otto IV

All American
This was in the daily articles and I thought should be its own thread.

According to Bill Connelly's formula, SU will have the 3rd most returning production in the ACC. That won't take into account xfers in. I think this is a good sign for the upcoming season.

Teams ahead of us
FSU- that looks like a L for sure
BC- returning crap won't make you better, plus we get them at home

Teams behind us
Clemson- but they reload so
VA Tech- will be interesting if they improve. Could be a hard game.
UNC- overall talent IMO is still better and it is a road game.
GA Tech- who knows how they turn out
Purdue- this plus having a new HC makes this very winnable even on the road
Army- we should win this
Wake- we play them well at home and they lost a lot
Pitt- home game and they have little coming back. Do we finally beat them?
Western Michigan- should be a win

Plus Colgate who is not part of the ranking.

Based off of last year, the returning production, and H vs A, I think on paper we are looking at 7-5. The big question will be how well do we survive physically those middle 4 games. The first 4 we can and maybe even should sweep. I think those last 4 that 3-1 is a high possibility if we are relatively healthy.

As always, a lot depends on the O-line. I'm very curious how they'll be with the new pieces. If Shredder can stay relatively healthy, I think he'll put up good numbers. I'd love to see a WR compliment OG. Perhaps Jones is that guy. Maybe Alford improves enough to provide more balance.
Even with the substantial losses on defense, I'm really not worried about them. 7-5 seems about right to me without looking too much into things. Putting together back to back bowl games will be huge, IMO. We need to make that a habit again.

As always, a lot depends on the O-line. I'm very curious how they'll be with the new pieces. If Shredder can stay relatively healthy, I think he'll put up good numbers. I'd love to see a WR compliment OG. Perhaps Jones is that guy. Maybe Alford improves enough to provide more balance.
Even with the substantial losses on defense, I'm really not worried about them. 7-5 seems about right to me without looking too much into things. Putting together back to back bowl games will be huge, IMO. We need to make that a habit again.

Agree with this assessment. Would be great for the O-line to not have a huge drop off and for a WR or two to step up.

How many ACC QBs are returning? Depending on that I think the defense could be ok

Just need 6 and a bowl.

Dino would be the first Syracuse HC since Pasqualoni to qualify for bowl bids in consecutive seasons.

Wild.

The last 2 times we went to consecutive bowls were 2012-2013, 1998-1999. And we were pretty fortunate to squeak into bowl games in 1999 and 2013. Let it sink in just how bad that is.

People should embrace the transfer portal and what it giveth vs taketh. It's our Obi-Wan.

giphy.gif

The last 2 times we went to consecutive bowls were 2012-2013, 1998-1999. And we were pretty fortunate to squeak into bowl games in 1999 and 2013. Let it sink in just how bad that is.

People should embrace the transfer portal and what it giveth vs taketh. It's our Obi-Wan.

giphy.gif

To be fair there weren't as many Bowls back in the day. Both 2000 and 2003 were eligible.

We did make a Bowl 3 out of 4 years recently with the one non Bowl season at 5-7. The messy years between then and last season shouldn't make back to back Bowls some accomplishment.

Really the 2010 to 2013 stretch is probably where the program should be over a 4 year stretch. We made a Bowl 3 out of 4 years and went 28-23 overall (14-15 in conference).

To be fair there weren't as many Bowls back in the day. Both 2000 and 2003 were eligible.

We did make a Bowl 3 out of 4 years recently with the one non Bowl season at 5-7. The messy years between then and last season shouldn't make back to back Bowls some accomplishment.

Really the 2010 to 2013 stretch is probably where the program should be over a 4 year stretch. We made a Bowl 3 out of 4 years and went 28-23 overall (14-15 in conference).

None of this makes me feel any better.

But I'd say I'm closer to accepting our place in the college football landscape than most.

I'm still here because I have an addictive yet optimistic personality. And, of course, the transfer portal.

None of this makes me feel any better.

But I'd say I'm closer to accepting our place in the college football landscape than most.

I'm still here because I have an addictive yet optimistic personality. And, of course, the transfer portal.

Our program post McNabb - GRob - last 2 of little GRob - 2020 has been 106-103 over 17 seasons. That is is where we are as a program. If a coach can't be .500 then they probably need to go. But we shouldn't expect any long term successes.

Our program post McNabb - GRob - last 2 of little GRob - 2020 has been 106-103 over 17 seasons. That is is where we are as a program. If a coach can't be .500 then they probably need to go. But we shouldn't expect any long term successes.
I'm surprised the record is even that good.

I'm surprised the record is even that good.

Well those excluded years we are 18-64 over 7 seasons.

Edit

To put it another way if you pretend GRob, Shafer, and 2020 never happened then we are 99-97 since McNabb left. That is a step down but not as bad as it seems.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom