Review of Shafer's D | Syracusefan.com

Review of Shafer's D

Rocco

Watching you.
One of the concepts of Shafer's D is to create enough disruption blitzing that it prevents the QB from accurately hitting his 8-10 yard patterns. Now with that said, the D does have to give up the bubble and jail break screens, which then places alot of emphasis on tackling. So far that has worked out pretty well against everyone except USC when they were dealing with Woods and Lee.

Not really sure about the lack of "batted balls" comment in an earlier thread. We don't have athletic D-Linemen ala Chan Jones or JPP. Their main job is to engage the OLine enough to create holes for the blitzers. Occasionally, it is nice to see one of the DLinemen beat their man and create isolated pressure. This D thrives on the LB's and occasional DB to blitz through the gaps or off the edge (Reddish, Sham). Force the QB into a quick decision and to make a good throw when they realize they are about to get leveled. In college, most QB's will not be able to do this consistently.

The other concept is we will stack the box at the same time, which will shut down the run. Shutting down the run this year has been executed extremely well. We mugged the rushing likes of Ray Graham, Jawan Jamison, Venric Mark and Lyle McCombs. Our gang tackling has certainly been highlighted during these dominant performances against the run. We've been able to jam the rushing lanes, which is a credit to the DLine play (especially Goggins and Brom).

All in all, the D's success will be mainly gaged by how efficiently we can blitz and shut down the run. If we cannot bring good pressure, unfortunately a good QB will find the gaping holes that could be created using this scheme. On the other hand, Shafer utilizes so many different blitz looks that I love this D, especially at the college level.

Shut down the run, bring several different blitz schemes and force the college QB into making quick decisions and accurate throws. I like our odds most of the time.

You are correct in your assessment of Shafer's D.

I don't recall Chandler Jones knocking down many passes.

You are correct in your assessment of Shafer's D.

I don't recall Chandler Jones knocking down many passes.

He knocked down a few, I specifically recall the WVU game last year for some reason. You get my point I think though.

One of the concepts of Shafer's D is to create enough disruption blitzing that it prevents the QB from accurately hitting his 8-10 yard patterns. Now with that said, the D does have to give up the bubble and jail break screens, which then places alot of emphasis on tackling. So far that has worked out pretty well against everyone except USC when they were dealing with Woods and Lee.

Not really sure about the lack of "batted balls" comment in an earlier thread. We don't have athletic D-Linemen ala Chan Jones or JPP. Their main job is to engage the OLine enough to create holes for the blitzers. Occasionally, it is nice to see one of the DLinemen beat their man and create isolated pressure. This D thrives on the LB's and occasional DB to blitz through the gaps or off the edge (Reddish, Sham). Force the QB into a quick decision and to make a good throw when they realize they are about to get leveled. In college, most QB's will not be able to do this consistently.

The other concept is we will stack the box at the same time, which will shut down the run. Shutting down the run this year has been executed extremely well. We mugged the rushing likes of Ray Graham, Jawan Jamison, Venric Mark and Lyle McCombs. Our gang tackling has certainly been highlighted during these dominant performances against the run. We've been able to jam the rushing lanes, which is a credit to the DLine play (especially Goggins and Brom).

All in all, the D's success will be mainly gaged by how efficiently we can blitz and shut down the run. If we cannot bring good pressure, unfortunately a good QB will find the gaping holes that could be created using this scheme. On the other hand, Shafer utilizes so many different blitz looks that I love this D, especially at the college level.

Shut down the run, bring several different blitz schemes and force the college QB into making quick decisions and accurate throws. I like our odds most of the time.

Totally agree. Great post.

It seems that at times, an offense will figure it out for a series or two. It's worth noting that the 1st half of the USC game, we had Barkley flustered a bit. Nothing over the top, forcing check downs. It was working during the 2nd half too, but those WR are NFL guys for sure - plus tackling broke down.

The last 3 games we played "establish the run" pass if you have to teams - and the scheme looked amazing. Should be interesting to see how we play them...

He knocked down a few, I specifically recall the WVU game last year for some reason. You get my point I think though.
Yes, and your point that we don't have any freaks on the D-line to bat away passes is valid. I think the D-line is improving game to game and I think we will start seeing some batted balls.

Yes, and your point that we don't have any freaks on the D-line to bat away passes is valid. I think the D-line is improving game to game and I think we will start seeing some batted balls.
Overall, this year's DL is far better than last years. Would love to have Chandler back but this year's group, with its added beef and depth, has played really well including keeping the LB's uncovered so they can make plays.

Our DLine next year will most likely be MPB, Brom, Crume, Robinson. Backing them up will be Simmons, Walls, Jones/Raymon, Welsh. I am really hoping that we can land Ogundeko as I think he could have a legit chance at early PT. Add Wayne Williams into the mix and the future is bright across the board on the DL. As you said, the line is improving but this year's line is pretty darn good with Sharpe and Goggins in there. Daoust hopefully is keeping them current with swats in practice.

All in.

Our DLine next year will most likely be MPB, Brom, Crume, Robinson. Backing them up will be Simmons, Walls, Jones/Raymon, Welsh. I am really hoping that we can land Ogundeko as I think he could have a legit chance at early PT. Add Wayne Williams into the mix and the future is bright across the board on the DL. As you said, the line is improving but this year's line is pretty darn good with Sharpe and Goggins in there. Daoust hopefully is keeping them current with swats in practice.

All in.

Biggest issue next year will be who steps into the middle. I would have to think the staff believes either Coker or Cam can slide in. Thoughts?

Biggest issue next year will be who steps into the middle. I would have to think the staff believes either Coker or Cam can slide in. Thoughts?
Coker is supposedly a physical beast, yet he couldn't beat out an undersized, but admittedly decent, JUCO guy this year. I think someone else will be there.

Very good question. It is tough to say at this point. Would not be surprised to see the staff go out and land a JUCO MLB. If not, Spruill and Davis are both options. I don't think Coker will be. I am intrigued by James Washington.

We don't have athletic D-Linemen ala Chan Jones or JPP. Their main job is to engage the OLine enough to create holes for the blitzers. Occasionally, it is nice to see one of the DLinemen beat their man and create isolated pressure.

Generally, this is a great post but I'm somewhat confused by the above comment. I mean, I'm not sure exactly what's meant by "athletic" but I actually think this DL is pretty talented and I think you see that born out in the numbers. I mean, Goggins, Sharpe and MPB spend a lot of time in the opponents' backfield (even more than I felt Chandler did) and Crume/Bromley are tough inside.

Generally, this is a great post but I'm somewhat confused by the above comment. I mean, I'm not sure exactly what's meant by "athletic" but I actually think this DL is pretty talented and I think you see that born out in the numbers. I mean, Goggins, Sharpe and MPB spend a lot of time in the opponents' backfield (even more than I felt Chandler did) and Crume/Bromley are tough inside.

I suppose I should rephrase and say "long, lanky and vertically superior". ;)

I was the one that made the comment about batted balls and I'd also like to add SU doesn't block kicks either, is that also in Shafer's scheme?

Hey, I love this team and I prefer a lineman not going for a pass fake and just driving towards the qb. That said open lanes also give open vision to qb's and there is a reason why it's taught to put up your arm(s) once the qb is throwing the ball.

Number 2 regrading hands on passes from the guys covering passes...watch the drift of some of the guys back there...they need to know their spots and yes they are getting better (pressure up front helps that) but the clumping together has to be eliminated on defensive pass patterns. It isn't easy but to get to that next level it has to be done unless the qb is running for his life the whole game, which is always a good thing as well.

I was the one that made the comment about batted balls and I'd also like to add SU doesn't block kicks either, is that also in Shafer's scheme?

That is Special Teams and we all know what a clusterfluck that has become.

That is Special Teams and we all know what a clusterfluck that has become.

I'm quite happy with how the special teams have improved but it's a drive and hand up/timing thing. I'm sure not having 6'5" guys is part of that equation as well.

Coker is supposedly a physical beast, yet he couldn't beat out an undersized, but admittedly decent, JUCO guy this year. I think someone else will be there.
that undersized JUCO is leading this team in tackles in one of the best defensive stretches SU has had in quite some time.

that undersized JUCO is leading this team in tackles in one of the best defensive stretches SU has had in quite some time.

I'm thrilled with Diabate but to be honest I think the DLine stepping up has helped him as well. I really enjoy posting good stuff about this team.

I'm thrilled with Diabate but to be honest I think the DLine stepping up has helped him as well. I really enjoy posting good stuff about this team.
You have to wonder if it's the system or the player. Seems like SU has really sold out to stop the run recently, but earlier in the season, we had a lot of teams trying to dice Cuse up the middle, and I think that's where Siriki was getting the majority of his tackles. You're right though, the DL has really shored everything up, but I wonder if looking at game tape will show that Diabate is playing a few steps closer to the LOS, or if the LBs are in general.

The good news is that this D isn't going anywhere. Super stoked about Shaf as HC.

Reading some of the older posts truly is fun.

The good news is that this D isn't going anywhere. Super stoked about Shaf as HC.

Reading some of the older posts truly is fun.
We got burned on many more screens than USC. NW, Rutgers, MN, USD I think all did as well. Our DBs could never fight off blocks.

We got burned on many more screens than USC. NW, Rutgers, MN, USD I think all did as well. Our DBs could never fight off blocks.

We played South Dakota?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom