Right before the BE tournament, somebody asked whether MCW could... | Syracusefan.com

Right before the BE tournament, somebody asked whether MCW could...

RF2044

Living Legend
...pull a Kemba, and catapult this team through the post-season.

I discounted the likelihood of that happening, largely because MCW wasn't the scorer / shooter KW was, and also because we were so out of sync offensively during those last 10 games of the regular season. It was hard to envision us righting the ship at that point, when we seemed to be getting worse at precisely the wrong time of the year.

It doesn't seem so far fetched now. MCW is playing very well, and the team has really done a much better job offensively throughout both the Big East Conference tournament and the NCAAs. We're also getting a modicum of production from the pivot, which didn't happen most of the year. Today, I'm feeling much more optimistic about MCW being a difference maker, putting the team on his back to a degree, and quarterbacking us toward title contention.

Three more victories...

Let's Go Orange!!!

I agree.

Although, there was a little bit of evidence that MCW was capable of taking over a game / long stretch of a game:

- The last minute of play, on the road against #1 ranked Louisville when we made some critical plays (although he also was making up for some turnovers earlier.)

http://syracusefan.com/threads/39-5-seconds-left-68-67-louisville.42467/

- And then in the Big East tournament game vs Pitt, when he went off in the second half for this line in the last 10 mins of the game:

MCW: 10 pts (2-2 FG, 1-1 3PT, 5-6 FT), 1 assist, 2 rebounds, 2 steals & 2 turnovers. Also, scored 10 of the 15 points SU scored in last 10 mins. (And assisted on 3 of the other 5.)

It's just that we have also watched him make some "freshman mistakes" out there too, so I can kinda see why people would be a bit hesitant to fully believe. (Although, that is what you often get with a first-year starter, especially at the PG position, whereas Kemba was a junior with 2 prior years of playing time when he completely took over these games in 2011.)

But people also need to look more at the process instead of simply the results.

By that I mean, you could see that MCW could basically drive to the hoop at will pretty much the entire year. But, since he was having trouble finishing at the rim (for whatever reason - maybe he needed to make a slight adjustment, or maybe he was simply getting some bad rolls), it wasn't making as great an impact as it could. But if you recognize the fact that he has the tough part down (the driving to the hoop & getting his shot off at will), then you will also realize that it's just a matter of time until the baskets start falling for him.

So that once he started to get that final piece of it down (finishing at the rim), then you get a game like yesterday where he drives right by arguably the best defensive guard in college basketball for (what he makes look like) freakin layups!

Same thing with his passing. Evaluate the process, not the results (at first.) The guy makes plays and sees passes nobody else at this level makes and sees. But, he is also prone to some poor turnovers too. But that is what (good) players do...refine their game with experience, and begin to cut down on the poor turnovers. He's not quite there yet with this aspect (especially when Louisville is allowed to prison rape him like they did in the Big East Finals game), but he's getting there, IMO.

One more point: It's also the reason why, despite his poor shooting this year, I would tell him to keep firing. Because if you recognize the process...which is that he is a 6 foot 6 inch guard who can pretty much get his shot off whenever he'd like & that also he was a good scorer in high school...then you can wait a bit on the results.

I'd much rather suffer through some poor shooting nights from MCW early-to-mid season, with the hopes that he can get it going come the end of the season & just become deadly, rather than sit & watch a guy without such an obvious advantage as MCW with his height (say, like a Scoop, just for example...not trying to bash him, but he pretty much maxed-out his talents at SU & didn't have that potential to take his game to another level, IMO) jack up shots, even if they make more of them at the time. I just love watching really high level talented players blossom from being mistake-prone inexperienced players, to becoming stars right before our eyes.

All this...and I haven't even yet mentioned the fact that, seemingly once a game now, he just rips the ball away from some poor guard's hands while on defense, and trots to the hoop for an easy bucket. I mean, he makes it look so goddamn easy sometimes. But then again, I would expect nothing less from the new holder of the Most Steals in a Season in SU History title.

I believe that was me who asked that in the chatroom. I was promptly told "no way".

But it just seems like every team that makes a run does so on the back on a good guard. I thought then...and I still believe now that MCW has all the tools to be that guard that leads SU to postseason success. He has shown to be able to do so while passing, and after last night, scoring. It's just a matter of will he keep this high level of play throughout the next game and hopefully any game after that.

Even in the middle of our tough 10 game slide, I knew MCW had the ability to be the best player in the tournament. He is playing that way right now.

I believe that was me who asked that in the chatroom. I was promptly told "no way".

But it just seems like every team that makes a run does so on the back on a good guard. I thought then...and I still believe now that MCW has all the tools to be that guard that leads SU to postseason success. He has shown to be able to do so while passing, and after last night, scoring. It's just a matter of will he keep this high level of play throughout the next game and hopefully any game after that.

Sorry for not footnoting you appropriately--wasn't sure who posted that query / thread.

no problem. Doesn't matter to me. All that matters is we keep on winning :)

My concern is that I think the real reason MCW is blowing up before our very eyes is because he hasn't been playing BE teams who mug the point guard all the way down the court. I don't think it's any coincidence the MCW we are seeing now is the same one we saw pre-BE play. One other point on this, the only team we've faced outside of the BE who plays BE style D is Temple and we lost to them because they were able to marginalize our guards.

If we are going to win the title we have to go through two BE teams in the next three games. Marquette will be the first team we've played who actually plays D and btw they know how to play against our zone. I said Marquette was the one team in our bracket I didn't want to play for any number of reasons and now we are playing them. I am extremely concerned... if we see the MCW we saw in BE conference play we are done. I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow whether MCW has made the leap or whether he just looks good against the non-BE teams we are playing.

My concern is that I think the real reason MCW is blowing up before our very eyes is because he hasn't been playing BE teams who mug the point guard all the way down the court. I don't think it's any coincidence the MCW we are seeing now is the same one we saw pre-BE play. One other point on this, the only team we've faced outside of the BE who plays BE style D is Temple and we lost to them because they were able to marginalize our guards.

If we are going to win the title we have to go through two BE teams in the next three games. Marquette will be the first team we've played who actually plays D and btw they know how to play against our zone. I said Marquette was the one team in our bracket I didn't want to play for any number of reasons and now we are playing them. I am extremely concerned... if we see the MCW we saw in BE conference play we are done. I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow whether MCW has made the leap or whether he just looks good against the non-BE teams we are playing.
Or the refs call a basketball or hockey game

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

It was just a question of time before MCW became more effective from outside. . . didn't know whether it would be now or next year in D League, though. At this point, I'd rather tab Michael as the game-end Go To Guy because Brandon is still too unpredictable (with CJ around to clean up any misses). I think he's earned it.-VBOF

Or the refs call a basketball or hockey game

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
I have zero faith in the refs when we play a BE team like Marquette. I think at this point in the tournament the refs aren't going to want to be seen as deciding the game so they will let calls go against a clutch and grab team like Marquette. However we will get called because we don't have that rep. We'll see I guess.

It was just a question of time before MCW became more effective from outside. . . didn't know whether it would be now or next year in D League, though. At this point, I'd rather tab Michael as the game-end Go To Guy because Brandon is still too unpredictable (with CJ around to clean up any misses). I think he's earned it.-VBOF
Lottery picks don't usually wind up in the D-League.

He may not start, but he will play in 70+ NBA games next year.

I know i posted it after a game in a thread somewhere and someone replied "no, he doesn't have the offensive moves to do so". I think he does now.

I have zero faith in the refs when we play a BE team like Marquette. I think at this point in the tournament the refs aren't going to want to be seen as deciding the game so they will let calls go against a clutch and grab team like Marquette. However we will get called because we don't have that rep. We'll see I guess.

I'm glad we won't have Big East refs.

I certainly don't expect a free throw disparity of 36 to 7 in one team's favor, like we had on Feb 25th.

I certainly don't expect a free throw disparity of 36 to 7 in one team's favor, like we had on Feb 25th.
I was just thinking before you posted that since the NCAA probably finds our rematch with Marquette funny that they might also find it real funny to schedule Cahill, Higgins and Hess.

Lottery picks don't usually wind up in the D-League.

He may not start, but he will play in 70+ NBA games next year.

I meant that as an either/or -- either his game didn't mature enough by this time (and he wound up in D League learning to shoot) or it did and he'd be highly effective in the NCAAs and be a lottery pick. Glad it seems to be the latter.-VBOF

MCW is a talented guy who badly wanted to play for SU and lead us to great things. He committed early and painfully sat through his first year. This year is important to him as it is to JB and all of the other guys who suffered through the loss of Arinze and Fab. I believe we will beat Marquette through the intensity created by the passion these guys feel in the 3rd year of a great run of SU basketball, having suffered big losses in the first 2.

Grant and Cooney both played important roles last nite and I expect them to give us good minutes from here on out. The team seems on a mission after the embarrassment against Georgetown and has payback to deliver to Marquette, Louisville, and Ohio State. I'm thinking I like how we're positioned and feel pretty confident the team won't lose this year through lack of effort, and further think that we're very hard to beat when the team puts as much effort into the game as they did last nite. SoBeCuse said it well when he said: "Hell of a Ride".

There are BE refs doing these games. We just won't have them exclusively.

As for your original thesis, I will agree with it if we can get past Marquette tomorrow. The Eagles will not be in awe of our zone. They beat us already this year and will be expecting to do so again. If we can muster the reserve to get past them, then I think from what MCW has shown us lately, he can carry this team the rest of the way, including a win over Pitino (if necessary).

Every game MCW plays well in and wins in the NCAA tourney is worth about $1MM in real money for him. I hope he elevates his draft status by approximately $6MM+ within the next 9 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom