RIP Dale Hawerchuk | Syracusefan.com

RIP Dale Hawerchuk

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House

I grew up near Cornwall, Ontario, and while I have many memories of going to see many Junior Hockey games 1983 and beyond, my memories of 1980 and 1981 are fuzzy. But my dad did say we went to some games when Dale led the Cornwall Royals to two consecutive Memorial Cup championships in 1980 and 1981 which is a fairly big deal in Canada.

In the mid 1980s the Royals retired his number, and I was able to quickly meet him and get his autograph on Dale Hawerchuk night.

Apparently quite an upbeat guy, but unfortunately he faced a very tough battle with cancer for a prolonged period.

We lost a terrific and classy competitor.

I grew up near Cornwall, Ontario, and while I have many memories of going to see many Junior Hockey games 1983 and beyond, my memories of 1980 and 1981 are fuzzy. But my dad did say we went to some games when Dale led the Cornwall Royals to two consecutive Memorial Cup championships in 1980 and 1981 which is a fairly big deal in Canada.

In the mid 1980s the Royals retired his number, and I was able to quickly meet him and get his autograph on Dale Hawerchuk night.

Apparently quite an upbeat guy, but unfortunately he faced a very tough battle with cancer for a prolonged period.
The Royals were a powerhouse back then. I too grew up near Cornwall. Went to a lot of Royal games. Great teams

This sucks.

During the pandemic, MSG in the WNY region has been replaying Sabres games, and watching some of those games, I remembered how good Hawerchuk really was. Did so many small and unappreciated things on the ice.

I had a feeling that he wasn't doing well when, during one of the playoff games last week, the announcers randomly started talking about him (and it was not a WPG game).