RIP Mike Connors | Syracusefan.com

RIP Mike Connors

hungrychuck

All Conference
Mike “Wolfie” Connors, beloved Black Duck Cafe bartender, dead at 58

Sad to report the death of former Syracuse DL Mike Connors from a heart attack at age 58.

Mike played on Frank Maloney's teams in the late 1970s and in recent years was an assistant on the staff at Staples HS in Westport CT, where he played himself.

But "Wolfie" was probably best known as a legendary bartender at the Black Duck in Westport, a ramshackle riverside joint that for decades has been one of the quirkiest watering holes in Connecticut.

Great guy gone much too soon. May he rest in peace.

Had the privilege of playing with Mike Connors for two seasons until he abruptly left the team before spring ball '81. Not only was Mike a teammate of mine but was also a good friend who played ball hard and lived life to the fullest. My recollection of him playing football was that he was one tough, mean dude and well liked by his position coach Jerry Angelo and Coach Maloney. I can say that all his former Cuse teammates are deeply saddened by his sudden death but relish the fond memories that we had of Mike during our days on the hill.

Had the privilege of playing with Mike Connors for two seasons until he abruptly left the team before spring ball '81. Not only was Mike a teammate of mine but was also a good friend who played ball hard and lived life to the fullest. My recollection of him playing football was that he was one tough, mean dude and well liked by his position coach Jerry Angelo and Coach Maloney. I can say that all his former Cuse teammates are deeply saddened by his sudden death but relish the fond memories that we had of Mike during our days on the hill.

Did Mike end up staying at Syracuse University after leaving the team?

No he did not for Connors just left one February night and it was the last we saw of Mannix...the nickname given to him by Craig Bingham.

Was he a good ballplayer?

Did he play a decent amount?