RIP Pat Summerall | Syracusefan.com

RIP Pat Summerall

he was 82
Definitely a part of my life growing up watching he and Tom Brookshier do the Giants games and then of course with John Madden. Plus he was a huge part of CBS golf coverage.

Summerall is on the Mount Rushmore of greatest NFL broadcasters IMO. Summerall and John Madden were the original greatest booth IMO. I wasn't old enough to remember him doing the US Open for tennis and Masters for CBS, but he did it all. I remember him saying Chris Boniol on the Madden video game as Chris Bone-yell. True legend and RIP to the great Pat Summerall I know he was the Giants kicker and always defended kickers on the broadcasts.

Here is a classic Madden and Summerall commentary. These two guys definitely had chemistry and you could tell were great friends.

one of the reasons i like pro football so much is because of him.

starting with begging my dad to race home from church so i could hear Brent Musberger do all the 'YOU'RE LOOKING LIVE...' calls.

all the while hoping the Giants had Summerall & Brookshire and then this crazy raider coach from the Lite beer commercials, Madden.

just the way he announced himself...'Im PAT SUMMERALL and this is JOHN MADDEN'...said with a vengeance. envision a clenched fist and tight jaw ready to punch who ever came into the booth...it just screamed BIG GAME.

and then of course who could forget...'and after todays telecast its 60 MINUTES, followed by MURDER......SHE WROTE.'

that emphasis on the comma after murder ruled.

he is, and will be....missed.

:(

Well that's the first death (that i can remember at the moment) i'm not too young to feel. First 10 years of my life (AKA the time spent learning to love sports) were spent listening to him.

THE voice of NFL football for decades. Supposedly his second career, (after being a player), began when they called his roommate, Charlie Conerly, to ask if he wanted to be a broadcaster and Pat answered the phone. They heard that voice and the rest is history.

People forget he was a player, too:

THE voice of NFL football for decades. Supposedly his second career, (after being a player), began when they called his roommate, Charlie Conerly, to ask if he wanted to be a broadcaster and Pat answered the phone. They heard that voice and the rest is history.

People forget he was a player, too:
Pat Summerall kicked one of the biggest field goals in Giants history. His 49-yard, late-game field goal in a driving snowstorm during a regular season finale in 1958 gave the Giants a 13-10 win over the Cleveland Browns forcing a playoff between the teams for the East Division title. The Giants topped the Browns, 10-0, then played the classic championship game against the Baltimore Colts, won by Baltimore, 23-17 in overtime.

They just mentioned on Bud and the Manchild that his name was not Patrick. He was George Allen Summerall, ironically, the name of a famous Redskins coach). He was called "Pat" because he kicked PATs.

About 10 years ago i had a chance to enjoy a few favorite beverages with Pat at the Warrick across from the Hilton in NYC along with some of the NFL film guys. Listening to them tell their tales made for a night i will never forget. I didnt know Pat only met him that one night but he came across as a great guy.

About 10 years ago i had a chance to enjoy a few favorite beverages with Pat at the Warrick across from the Hilton in NYC along with some of the NFL film guys. Listening to them tell their tales made for a night i will never forget. I didnt know Pat only met him that one night but he came across as a great guy.

Broadcasting is one of those sit around and wait professions. One of the things people do when they had to kill time until an even is enjoy a few favorite beverages. It's very easy to make it a habit as Pat did. It's kind of remarkable he lived to be 82. He shouldn't be harshly judged for having a problem that many people, including many in his profession do.

Definitely a part of my life growing up watching he and Tom Brookshier do the Giants games and then of course with John Madden. Plus he was a huge part of CBS golf coverage.
It was a great team.

I could be wrong, but I think Brookshier's infamous comments about the cumulative IQ of L'ville's basketball team led to their separation.

It was a great team.

I could be wrong, but I think Brookshier's infamous comments about the cumulative IQ of L'ville's basketball team led to their separation.
nope, it was their partying.

theres some great stories out there about the after game fiestas.

others with brooksheir waiting at the clubhouse at Augusta or other tournaments and a crowd gathering around him, knowing that Summerall would be there soon and the fun would begin.

they once drove a handsome cab into the lobby of the W in NYC. crazy stuff like that.

CBS took some heat for being a 'boys club', breaking them up and putting this new talent madden with him was too easy.

They just mentioned on Bud and the Manchild that his name was not Patrick. He was George Allen Summerall, ironically, the name of a famous Redskins coach). He was called "Pat" because he kicked PATs.

Wikipedia:
"The urban legend was his nickname became "Pat" because of the abbreviation for "point after touchdown" that a field-goal kicker was credited for in a game summary. But in a 1997 Dallas Morning News story, Summerall said after his parents divorced, he was taken in by an aunt and uncle who had a son named Mike.
"My aunt and uncle just started calling me Pat to go with their Mike," said Summerall, referring to frequently named characters in Irish jokes told during that time."

Mr. Summerall was a friend of my dad's. Boy, could that guy spin a yarn. Great man...may he Rest in Peace.

Had to be over 20 years ago. He had been sober for at least 20 years.

nope, it was their partying.

theres some great stories out there about the after game fiestas.

others with brooksheir waiting at the clubhouse at Augusta or other tournaments and a crowd gathering around him, knowing that Summerall would be there soon and the fun would begin.

they once drove a handsome cab into the lobby of the W in NYC. crazy stuff like that.

CBS took some heat for being a 'boys club', breaking them up and putting this new talent madden with him was too easy.

Per Wikipedia, Summerall-Brookshier was broken up in '81 and the Louisville comment came two years later, when Brookshier was doing play by play. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brookshier

Wikipedia:
"The urban legend was his nickname became "Pat" because of the abbreviation for "point after touchdown" that a field-goal kicker was credited for in a game summary. But in a 1997 Dallas Morning News story, Summerall said after his parents divorced, he was taken in by an aunt and uncle who had a son named Mike.
"My aunt and uncle just started calling me Pat to go with their Mike," said Summerall, referring to frequently named characters in Irish jokes told during that time."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom