RIP Tommy Lasorda | Syracusefan.com

RIP Tommy Lasorda

RIP legend I love this pic from him at spring training.
ErOTYD-XUAgwE1o.jpg

Some of the managers were such characters back in the day. They made the game fun. Tommy Lasorda, Billy Martin, Earl Weaver, Sparky Anderson, Whitey Herzog. And there was no replay, so they got their money's worth.

93 years, that's a life to celebrate.

My other favorite Tommy moment:

as a kid, I’m in the hotel pool in Montreal with my friends. We were there with my dad, to watch the Dodgers-Expos and were staying in the same hotel the Dodgers were in. Tommy comes into the pool area, towel in hand, heading for the jacuzzi I assume. Some lady cluelessly gets all excited...”Hiiii TOMMY! Wow! It’s Tommy Lasorda!!” Just doing exactly what not to do. Tommy looks pissed, and turns around and walks out, grumbling to himself.

My first game at Dodger stadium in the mid 2000’s. They had just renovated the stadium and installed and amazing VIP section where you have seen Tommy and all the celebs sit. Due to a fortunate connection at the time our seats were there. Sat behind Carl and Rob Reiner. As a lifetime Dodger fan I would have been happy in the 3rd deck.

We were led up a private concourse and into a lavish dining area to head to our seats through the glass doors behind home plate. I hear this distinctive voice welcoming everyone to Dodger stadium, Go Dodgers, how ya doin?!? It’s Tommy. He’s holding the door for everyone and chatting everyone up. I was too starstruck to say anything but “Hey, Tommy!” How ya doin kid Go Dodgers! I was like 30.

Later I went in to get some food and there was Tommy at the head of a long table eating and holding court with a crowd of people. Could overhear him telling his stories. I wondered how many games he did that. Held the door for people, welcomed you. Not sure anyone loved the Dodgers more than Tommy.

Last edited:
Wow - I completely missed this in the craziness of that week. RIP Tommy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom