RIP Whitey Ford | Syracusefan.com

RIP Whitey Ford

1602260095844.png

Another pitching giant lost. I believe he still has the highest winning percentage for a starter in major league history. RIP, Whitey.

Among pitchers with at least 300 career decisions, Ford ranks first with a winning percentage of .690, the all-time highest percentage in modern baseball history. Clayton Kershaw has a better W/L % (.697), but only 251 decisions.

He might have been the last of the 50's Yankees still alive except maybe like Bobby Richardson and Bobby Brown. RIP. Played on some great teams with a lot of great players. When you think of greatest living Yankee, unless I am forgetting someone, either Reggie, DJ or Mariano. I bet Mickey and Billy have some cocktails waiting.

He might have been the last of the 50's Yankees still alive except maybe like Bobby Richardson and Bobby Brown. RIP. Played on some great teams with a lot of great players. When you think of greatest living Yankee, unless I am forgetting someone, either Reggie, DJ or Mariano. I bet Mickey and Billy have some cocktails waiting.

Don Mattingly? He just played on some lousy teams.

Don Mattingly? He just played on some lousy teams.

RIP to Whitey, and nice long life to celebrate (and still curse 2020).

And yes, Mattingly is on any who's who list of greatest living Yankees. He had the misfortunate of playing during the Land of Misfit Toys era for Yankee starting pitching. Along with the wonderfully balanced trades of Jay Buhner and Rickey Henderson.

Jeter.

Another legend passes. All-time Yankees win leader. RIP.

Manager Aaron Boone told reporters Friday that Ford died, with his family by his side, while watching the Yankees beat the Tampa Bay Rays in Game 4 of the ALDS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom