RIP Whitey Herzog | Syracusefan.com

RIP Whitey Herzog

An era where managers seemed much more memorable compared to today, less generic to a degree. Also stuck around longer.

I can name more managers from 1985 compared to 2020.

Sparky, Lasorda, Billy Martin, Herzog, Johnson, Howser, Cox, Larussa, Mauch, Rose, Weaver (maybe he was gone by then),

An era where managers seemed much more memorable compared to today, less generic to a degree. Also stuck around longer.

Sparky, Lasorda, Billy Martin, Herzog, Johnson, Howser, Cox, Larussa, Mauch, Rose, Weaver (maybe he was gone by then),
I can name the players of the 70’s teams better than I can of today’s teams.

He was robbed of a WS in 1985. RIP, White Rat.

Earl was gone and back by then. Think he tried a perm for a minute! Pitching defense and a 3 run homer :)

Earl was gone and back by then. Think he tried a perm for a minute! Pitching defense and a 3 run homer :)
20240418_192233.jpg

I saw an interview with him once online when he was with the Cardinals before opening day... he said I know the General Manager did a good job this spring (he was the GM) and I know the Coach will do well (he was the Coach) and its up to the players not to screw it up.

He was baseball savant and considered himself to be the greatest third base coach ever. Also played a big role with the Mets from their beginning as Yogi Berra beat him out for the job as the 2nd manager of the Mets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom