Rob Drummond on Donnie McPherson | Syracusefan.com

Rob Drummond on Donnie McPherson

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
http://wakeupcalldt.com/

In this interview Rob talks about the goose bumps he got as he entered the city of Elmira. I have made that trip to pay homage to Ernie on several occasions.

AX5MH7.jpg

This is the billboard that greets you, L-R NBC news anchor Brian Williams, film & TV magnet Hal Roach, our Ernie, Mark Twain, another SU grad, retired NASA astronaut Eileen Collins, John W. Jones railroad station master credited in assisting 800 slaves to freedom, fashion giant Tommy Hilfiger.

My next stop is the cemetery where Ernie is laid to rest. The first time I visited his final resting place I was struck by the simplicity of his headstone and the setting of his grave. My thoughts went back to the day the services were held in Elmira and thousand of friends and admirer's descended on this small city to pay their respects. One cannot help but become emotional.

Before I leave Elmira I always stop at the Ernie Davis Middle School and visit the statue that Bruno Lucchesi did of Ernie and read the inscription.

DSCN0549.JPG

There are a ton of interviews at this site. For the Rob Drummond interview click "Back on the field" tab. There are 22 other interesting episodes.

Clicking on the "Exclusive Interviews" will bring up chats with AJ Long, Zaire Franklin, Wayne Williams, Drew Allen and many, many others.

I always felt that that statue captured what Ernie Davis was as a person.

More than simply a great football player.