Rob Trudo "I don't see myself behind Omari"(PS) | Syracusefan.com

Rob Trudo "I don't see myself behind Omari"(PS)

CuseLegacy

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2014/08/rob_trudo_guard.html

Syracuse, N.Y. — One of the bigger surprises on Syracuse's pre-training camp depth chart was redshirt sophomore guard Omari Palmer being slotted ahead of returning starter Rob Trudo at left guard.
At the ACC Football Kickoff two weeks ago, SU head coach Scott Shafer called the depth chart overrated and tackle Sean Hickey implied that the starting guard spots are more of an even three-player battle between Palmer, Trudo and returning starting right guard Nick Robinson.
At Syracuse's first media opportunity of camp Saturday, Trudo echoed those sentiments.
"That's kind of how it is," Trudo said. "We've got seven guys who can play, five spots. I don't view myself behind Omari. Omari's a good player, Nick's a good player, John Miller's a good player, but I'm also a good player.
"So no, I don't view myself behind Omari."
Trudo started the spring working out at center as the primary option to replace three-year starter Macky MacPherson before a combination of Trudo's struggles with snapping accurately and the emergence of John Miller shifted him back to left guard.
Trudo said the shuffle didn't affect his play, instead emphasizing that it was Palmer who closed the gap.
Trudo said that he was expecting Palmer to break out this season, and as a veteran, that it's exciting to see. He views the battle, regardless of outcome, as something that will help the team put the best five players in front of quarterback Terrel Hunt.
However, he admitted he was surprised to see Palmer listed ahead of him.
"I didn't expect that, but you never know what's going to happen," Trudo said. "You always have to be on top of your game. Going into camp and competing for a starting job again, we'll see how this works out."
Trudo added that Robinson is healthy entering camp. He said that Robinson looks "natural again" and could just used to put on a couple pounds.
The battle begins with SU's first practice of training camp at 4:45 p.m.

I love everything about this interview. Trudo taking the high road and emphasizing team, as well as, competition. I've seen the opposite happen more often... starter sees post spring depth chart and becomes a problem in the locker room/media. The interview demonstrates his maturity and leadership qualities.