Roberson and BJ and Chino...... | Syracusefan.com

Roberson and BJ and Chino......

newmexicuse

All Conference
Still hoping against hope that McC isn't done for the season, but it sure isn't looking good. Really bad timing for Chris as he was off to a very solid start in the FSU game and it was looking like he might have been in the process of turning a corner in terms of getting back to his early season form.

Anyways, that leaves Roberson as the next man up in terms of starting. I had actually thought that Tyler was having a better season than Chris and should have been starting anyways. The big difference now is that Tyler will have to play quite a few more minutes than I had envisioned, and it limits Jimmy's ability to matchup or go with the hot hand between the two of them. Roberson isn't ready to be a consistent big offensive contributor, but we will definitely need him to have a few 15 point games along the way. He is capable of doing that. He has a nice spin move to the hoop & good form on his J - he just needs to knock em down. Maybe it will come with confidence in his new and expanded role.

BJ is the next man up in terms of the front-court rotation. I do not see a lack of talent as an issue with BJ. He has rebounded better than I had expected. He will really need to focus on his rebounding and D rotations and just let the game come to him on the O end. He is not the talent that McC is, but there is no reason why he shouldn't be a solid 7th or 8th rotation guy. Like Roberson, we will need him to have some double digit games from time to time.

Chino, wow, I have been advocating that he be the backup for Rak at the 5 spot. He sure didn't look ready even for that role against FSU. Somehow, some way, this kid needs to give us 5 to 7 solid MPG. He won't need to score, but he will need to to reduce his hacking from a foul a minute to no more than a foul every two minutes. He will also need to help out on the glass.

The biggest hurt for the team in losing McC isn't really as much about losing what he did as it is about losing what he might have done if he could have gotten back to early season form. His loss takes away much of the team's prospective upside, especially at a time when we seem to be uptrending.

Without reading the body of your post, and ONLY reading the headline, I have to reply by saying:

"...oh my!"

Still hoping against hope that McC isn't done for the season, but it sure isn't looking good. Really bad timing for Chris as he was off to a very solid start in the FSU game and it was looking like he might have been in the process of turning a corner in terms of getting back to his early season form.

Anyways, that leaves Roberson as the next man up in terms of starting. I had actually thought that Tyler was having a better season than Chris and should have been starting anyways. The big difference now is that Tyler will have to play quite a few more minutes than I had envisioned, and it limits Jimmy's ability to matchup or go with the hot hand between the two of them. Roberson isn't ready to be a consistent big offensive contributor, but we will definitely need him to have a few 15 point games along the way. He is capable of doing that. He has a nice spin move to the hoop & good form on his J - he just needs to knock em down. Maybe it will come with confidence in his new and expanded role.

BJ is the next man up in terms of the front-court rotation. I do not see a lack of talent as an issue with BJ. He has rebounded better than I had expected. He will really need to focus on his rebounding and D rotations and just let the game come to him on the O end. He is not the talent that McC is, but there is no reason why he shouldn't be a solid 7th or 8th rotation guy. Like Roberson, we will need him to have some double digit games from time to time.

Chino, wow, I have been advocating that he be the backup for Rak at the 5 spot. He sure didn't look ready even for that role against FSU. Somehow, some way, this kid needs to give us 5 to 7 solid MPG. He won't need to score, but he will need to to reduce his hacking from a foul a minute to no more than a foul every two minutes. He will also need to help out on the glass.

The biggest hurt for the team in losing McC isn't really as much about losing what he did as it is about losing what he might have done if he could have gotten back to early season form. His loss takes away much of the team's prospective upside, especially at a time when we seem to be uptrending.
It will be interesting to see how much playing time BJ gets moving forward. He is the back up forwards now so that usually means getting minutes. I don't think we can expect G and Roberson to play 40 every game moving forward. Hopefully BJ with some minutes can knock down the open shots he gets.

chino looked like he didn't have hit feet under him yesterday at all. He was moving like he had cinder blocks as feet. I don't think we can expect much from him in the very few minutes he will see. Hopefully he can show some ability to rebound and play defense when RAK is tired or in foul trouble.

My vote is for Patterson to be the back-up guard and BJJ to anchor the back-up everything else. We'll get killed on the boards and interior when Rak goes out but our only hope is BJJ can become something of a perimter threat and we can play Duke ball while Rak gets some rest or deals with foul trouble.