Roberson and Patterson | Syracusefan.com

Roberson and Patterson

wadegarrett

Walk On
The good thing about McCullough and Kaleb's slumping is that means more minutes for Roberson and Patterson to develop. If we are going to be a competitive team in March, we need Roberson and Patterson to step up. Patterson creates scoring opportunities and Roberson is a beast on the boards. Gonna need this in March.

I'm not writing off McCullough yet. He will get better and so will Kaleb.

The good thing about McCullough and Kaleb's slumping is that means more minutes for Roberson and Patterson to develop. If we are going to be a competitive team in March, we need Roberson and Patterson to step up. Patterson creates scoring opportunities and Roberson is a beast on the boards. Gonna need this in March.

I'm not writing off McCullough yet. He will get better and so will Kaleb.
Today was nota good one for the freshman. Kaleb playing poorly and being in foul trouble kept Patterson on the court alittle too long. I like Ron and what he does well, but kaleb needs to be on the court alittle more

Roberson is an animal as long as he isn't matched up with a 6'8" player who has serious strength (which there aren't many of). I'll take 6-8 points and 7+ boards from him all day. I really like his energy and the way he's grown and calmed down over the season.

I'm not as sure about Patterson. I love what he gives us on the defensive end over Joesph, but his offensive game could clearly use some work. He's shown that he can go off from 3, but after he misses 2, he should be driving to the rim every time he's left alone at the 3 point line. If he drove more, he'd be a better asset on offense.

I'm not as sure about Patterson. I love what he gives us on the defensive end over Joesph, but his offensive game could clearly use some work. He's shown that he can go off from 3, but after he misses 2, he should be driving to the rim every time he's left alone at the 3 point line. If he drove more, he'd be a better asset on offense.

Can he drive to the rim every time he attempts a free throw? ;)

Roberson is an animal as long as he isn't matched up with a 6'8" player who has serious strength (which there aren't many of). I'll take 6-8 points and 7+ boards from him all day. I really like his energy and the way he's grown and calmed down over the season.

Agree he should be driving to the rim more, but don't overlook his passing. He does find open shooters.-VBOF

Did I hear the announcers correctly that his attempts today were his first free throws of the season? Maybe [hopefully] that's the reason for the poor effort from the stripe.

He's 5-32 from outside this season (.156), and 2-6 from the line. Maybe shooting isn't his thing?

He's 5-32 from outside this season (.156), and 2-6 from the line. Maybe shooting isn't his thing?

yea, he needs to work on that shot in the off-season. If this dude could dribble he would be playing 40 min a game.

quite possible haha. I've always equated FT shooting to putting in golf. You could have a terrible swing, but a nice putting stroke. Likewise, you could have a poor jumper but decent FT form.

Again, I'm just hoping he's not a 50% FT shooter, for his sake.

Did I hear the announcers correctly that his attempts today were his first free throws of the season? Maybe [hopefully] that's the reason for the poor effort from the stripe.

I think they were the first attempts of his career. And he looked nervous.

Definitely a tough spot to be in for your first collegiate free throws.

Yep, but his form is good. I don't know if he'll take a lot of free throws in his career, but he's got the ability to make most of them.

Gbinije, on the other hand...

I agreed especially about Roberson, he's really starting understand his own game and where he fits IMO. He's a great high energy rebounder who has to be accounted for and he puts pressure on the defense by running the floor so well. He was 4-7 and it looked like he was just a bit quick on a couple jumpers he missed. His defense has really gotten better on the wing and with the effort he puts in playing D you know its only going to get better.
I like Patterson on defense because he pressures the ball no matter what the scheme and although once in a while it costs us its usually a net gain IMO. On offense he is as shaky as Kaleb except with a less reliable jumper. I would have preferred having Kaleb in the game late to shoot FT's because that is one area he's done well and Tech was letting Ron catch the ball.

People are getting on Buss for missing those FTs, it's not like the rest of the team was lighting it up from the line during that meltdown. I get that he should have made at least one of them, but everybody was pitiful at the end there.

People are getting on Buss for missing those FTs, it's not like the rest of the team was lighting it up from the line during that meltdown. I get that he should have made at least one of them, but everybody was pitiful at the end there.

Agreed no one did better than 1 for 1 and as I just mentioned Tech was letting the ball go to Ron. I wish we would have put Kaleb in because I'd bet he's around 70% and likely at least making 1 per trip.

I still think we should have just had Rak sprint to the ball (not allong the sideline like the Nova game) and tossed him an easy pass. VT was short and there's no way the big man on Rak would have kept up with him. Have Rak catch it, hold it, make free throws. Boom

I get the sense that at this point, JB actually feels more confident with Buss handling the ball late in the game than he does KJ.

Also, don't forget that JB gets to see these guys taking free throws in practice. I understand there is more pressure during a game, especially late in a game, but JB mentioned in the presser that Buss shoots free throws well in practice, and he is confident that Buss will do better in the future with that aspect.

Buss is doing a much better job of playing within his current capabilities than KJ is. That is to be expected as Buss is a Soph & KJ is a Frosh.

Rebounders don't slump. Gotta play Roberson.

Absolutely. We need another warrior down low to help Rak. Tyler is an absolute beast, and his offensive game is coming around. People always talk about the high ceilings of Chris Mc and Kaleb, but I'm just as excited about Tyler's progression.

I get the sense that at this point, JB actually feels more confident with Buss handling the ball late in the game than he does KJ.

Also, don't forget that JB gets to see these guys taking free throws in practice. I understand there is more pressure during a game, especially late in a game, but JB mentioned in the presser that Buss shoots free throws well in practice, and he is confident that Buss will do better in the future with that aspect.

Buss is doing a much better job of playing within his current capabilities than KJ is. That is to be expected as Buss is a Soph & KJ is a Frosh.

There was only catching and fouling no handling needed and it started at about 2+ minutes to go.

OttoMets said:
Yep, but his form is good. I don't know if he'll take a lot of free throws in his career, but he's got the ability to make most of them. Gbinije, on the other hand...
G totally holds the ball weird on free throws.

OrangeXtreme said:
But he's close to making one sooner or later. :D
Damn that was classic JB. Close? This is college Ronnie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom