Roberson is no threat to shoot | Syracusefan.com

Roberson is no threat to shoot

GooseMutt

All Conference
And that's a problem! The defense plays him softly cause they know he'll pass. Most teams have 5 capable scorers Just like last year it feels like there are only selected players with green light You have a guy like Roberson you help the defense immensely by signaling he's not a threat. It bothers me every game including last year.

Very hard to have a decent offense if your PF and C are zero threat to hit an open jump shot.

Stretch 4's are becoming the norm. You just can't have two guys clogging the paint anymore.
I agree, but Coleman does have a pretty decent jumpshot. Roberson on the other hand, worries me. He has made some this year, but I'm not sure he can be trusted taking it all the time.

Roberson has shown ability to consistently hit short jumpers. What he's needed is some kind of back-to-basket game, which he never developed. I have no idea why a PF with some good size and athletic ability was never able to come up with any post moves. Did the coaches not prioritize it? Is he that hopeless?

He can hit the 12-15 footer and he has. The problem is that our offense is not set up to get those open shots unless it's off a dribble drive and TR doesn't have the handle to do that. He doesn't have a "stop and pop" move so when he puts it on the floor, it means he's going to the rim, but he's not big enough to go inside most of the time or he loses the ball or gets called for a charge before he gets there.

He's really more of a Rodman-type who can rebound and get put-backs and he can play D. When he's dialed-in, he can be a nightmare for the opponent, but he has many games where he just doesn't seem to be there.

I thought Coleman was quite solid against Wisky. He can give them paint points. Roberson against looks shy and timid. Just too inconsistent for a senior

And that's a problem! The defense plays him softly cause they know he'll pass. Most teams have 5 capable scorers Just like last year it feels like there are only selected players with green light You have a guy like Roberson you help the defense immensely by signaling he's not a threat. It bothers me every game including last year.
It's not just that he isn't a good shooter he also doesn't have any decent low post moves whatsoever. I mean Happ can't shoot outside of 5 feet but is very effective offensively. Roberson is athletic and there is no reason he can't have a few decent low post moves. I blame the coaching staff to some degree for this but also think it falls on him. Rak was able to develop a solid low post game over time. So was Ric Jackson and various other people so I don't understand why that hasn't happened to any degree for Roberson. See how I just questions the coaching staff Zelda. I bet you didn't see that coming.

tyler roberson has proven himself to be an elite rebounder in the ACC. you want scoring too ? then run some friggin offense to get him the ball.
he's shooting 53 % from the field and 91 % from the line. not too shabby.

Last edited:
We need a thread stating things more obvious than "sh** stinks " and "gtown sucks"?

He's not a shooter on a good enough level here. As far as the rest if every 6'9" guy could develop a back to the basket game they would. TR is an energy guy when the stars line up right.

If only we had a prototypical stretch 4 to play the majority of the minutes at that spot.

A guy can dream...
Do we know if the White @ 3 and Lydon @ 4 is ever going to be a thing or is it just a concept conjured up by the messageboard, because, on the surface, it makes all the sense in the world.

However, a couple games in, we seem dead set on those two playing out of position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom