Roberson with the right lineup | Syracusefan.com

Roberson with the right lineup

20Plus

It actually might not be about the lineup but the style of play.

Obviously he's not a threat in a half court set offense but with an aggressive style offensive and defensive style. I really like the lineup of...

Roberson,Lydon, White, Tyus, Gillon and run.

We should be decent enough of a rebounding and defensive team to run. If we decide to go half-court take Thompson for Roberson

Roberson has to play. and white has to play less. and sometimes, they need to play at the same time. the only thing I know is that Roberson is one of the best players on the team and the staff needs to get over themselves and figure out how to play him.

It's not about how Roberson has to play we all know they have to all play well. The point is how do we get them all there ? iI's all about style of play always has been always will be!

Hard to not have one of our best lineups include Thompson. I know Roberson is better on D and the boards, but we are horrible offensively without Thompson. I agree we need to run though. I think after Lydon everybody elses minutes are open for discussion.

Roberson is an energy low skill guy who is best coming in for a few minutes at a time when they need some spark. No way should he be in the game in lieu of TT. They can both be out there at times, but him stealing minutes from TT (outside of foul trouble issues) is a recipe for long scoring droughts.

It actually might not be about the lineup but the style of play.

Obviously he's not a threat in a half court set offense but with an aggressive style offensive and defensive style. I really like the lineup of...

Roberson,Lydon, White, Tyus, Gillon and run.

We should be decent enough of a rebounding and defensive team to run. If we decide to go half-court take Thompson for Roberson
So far this team has not shown enough proficiency on the defensive glass, nor enough defensively in the zone or when applying pressure, to generate an effective transition offense. I don't think that lineup you've proposed would do the trick.

One great dunk and one energetic effort does not sell me on T-Rob. Engaged - get him out there. Disinterested - get him out of there. He rarely to my recollection has gotten more interested as the game goes on. You pretty much know his mindset from the moment he steps on the floor.

Thompson at the 5 on D in ACC play isn't going to cut it. He is not strong enough to play that and we will killed inside. I really like the line-up we had with the run against Cornell when it was Roby, Lydon, White, Gillon, and Battle. Thompson needs to get better on D, I know JB indicated that on his presser after game. I would rather see him at the 4 but think the only reason JB is playing at the 5 is to try to hide him since he's been good on O.

TT's playing time doesn't have a big impact on Roberson because they're both at different positions now. TT is and will probably remain our #1 Center. DC2 will likely continue to get token starts, but TT should be looking at close to 30mpg at the 5. That leaves 80 minutes at the two Forward positions for 3 guys. Lydon needs to be an ironman who comes off the court for only a couple minutes at a time; 32 minutes for him should be the absolute minimum. If White stays so one-dimensional, how hot he is from behind the arc should determine his minutes and Roberson's minutes. If White is hitting 3's, give him 30+ minutes and let Roberson scoop up the remaining 10 or 12. If White is struggling from deep, he gives us little value on either end of the court; give him 25-ish and give Roberson 25-ish. Roberson is the better defender and rebounder at the back of the zone than White is. If White's not making 3's, he gives us no more on offense than Roby does.

The tough thing with Roby is that when he is inserted into the lineup he takes away from Lydon and TT's post-up game. The weakest link on the other team defensively can sag off of Roby and dare him to shoot the midrange jumper. Lydon and TT put tremendous pressure on the defense with one or both creating a mismatch.

I agree with the assessment that White's minutes should be cut if he is just going to hoist up 3s. Roby, Lydon, and TT would dominate both the offensive and defensive boards. In ACC play if TT doesn't commit to the defensive end, he will soon be exposed and Roby will need to be ready to provide instant energy. Despite what Jim and the other coaches have to say about Roby, he has shown throughout his career that he can dominate a game on the boards and blocking shots. His minutes should increase in ACC play to compete with the level of athletes on some of these teams.

The tough thing with Roby is that when he is inserted into the lineup he takes away from Lydon and TT's post-up game. The weakest link on the other team defensively can sag off of Roby and dare him to shoot the midrange jumper. Lydon and TT put tremendous pressure on the defense with one or both creating a mismatch.

I agree with the assessment that White's minutes should be cut if he is just going to hoist up 3s. Roby, Lydon, and TT would dominate both the offensive and defensive boards. In ACC play if TT doesn't commit to the defensive end, he will soon be exposed and Roby will need to be ready to provide instant energy. Despite what Jim and the other coaches have to say about Roby, he has shown throughout his career that he can dominate a game on the boards and blocking shots. His minutes should increase in ACC play to compete with the level of athletes on some of these teams.

Roberson isn't a good enough passer, that's part of the problem.

But I don't love him shooting jump shots from 10 feet. Lydon and Thompson are both better than him at that, and Coleman is probably better at the midrange game, too.

If he is going to play in the half court, I want him on the weak side attacking the offensive glass and setting picks at the foul line for pick and rolls.

And they could run occasional weak side screen and back cuts for the guy for an alley oop attempt or two. He has great springs.

He's at his best running the floor. We should make certain he's on the floor when we press.

Boeheim used to be great at putting players in positions on the floor where they can score.

He needs to get over his anger at some of these guys and get back to that, before it's too late. And honestly, it's already probably too late, although I hold out hope that with the talent on this roster, it could suddenly click and they could go win 10 in a row.

Roberson isn't a good enough passer, that's part of the problem.

But I don't love him shooting jump shots from 10 feet. Lydon and Thompson are both better than him at that, and Coleman is probably better at the midrange game, too.

If he is going to play in the half court, I want him on the weak side attacking the offensive glass and setting picks at the foul line for pick and rolls.

And they could run occasional weak side screen and back cuts for the guy for an alley oop attempt or two. He has great springs.

He's at his best running the floor. We should make certain he's on the floor when we press.

Boeheim used to be great at putting players in positions on the floor where they can score.

He needs to get over his anger at some of these guys and get back to that, before it's too late. And honestly, it's already probably too late, although I hold out hope that with the talent on this roster, it could suddenly click and they could go win 10 in a row.
Have you seen the ACC teams play? It will be very tough for us to win 10 league games. Let alone 10 in a row.

Have you seen the ACC teams play? It will be very tough for us to win 10 league games. Let alone 10 in a row.

I've seen enough to know that when they play with confidence and the secondary guys make shots, we are very tough to beat.

I've seen enough to know that when they play with confidence and the secondary guys make shots, we are very tough to beat.
Matt, we have played 5 "real" teams and lost to all 5. I think we can get better but it's asking a lot to win 10 in a row in this league.

Roberson is an energy low skill guy who is best coming in for a few minutes at a time when they need some spark. No way should he be in the game in lieu of TT. They can both be out there at times, but him stealing minutes from TT (outside of foul trouble issues) is a recipe for long scoring droughts.

And we gave up 90+ to BC????? White can't play zone.

Matt, we have played 5 "real" teams and lost to all 5. I think we can get better but it's asking a lot to win 10 in a row in this league.
I disagree, we have played ZERO "real" teams... It would be a de rigueur undefeated season to date for even the most average of Syracuse teams in the Boeheim era...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom