Roberson's Basketball IQ | Syracusefan.com

Roberson's Basketball IQ

cuseincincy

All Conference
Or lack thereof will hurt this team all season. He's useless at the free throw line on offense against the zone, never looks for anything but a wing kick out. I've never seen a player receive so many alley oops that he ends up dribbling back out with ever even looking at the basket. On a made shot on defense what is he doing standing around looking for the ball to be inbounded to him? It's a shame becaue he is one of the more likeable players we've had but is just limited in basketball skills and basketball IQ. Its no wonder he's seen his time cut. He's 8th man at best right now. If this SU team is going to recover and have a good season there are several players that need to pick up their games, I don't think we should count on Roberson being one of them (that improves) anymore. He is what he is at this point. Prove me wrong Tyler! And yes I realize he may end up with a double double tonight.

He's not good at the basketball. And whatever happened to him improving his shot this offseason?

Not sure how he's likeable. He's not a bad kid or anything but what makes him likeable? He's not improved a lick in four years. Sometimes he works his arse off in games, other times he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else. Guys are likeable when they bring their best all the time. Outside of that line about him being likeable, I agree with your post.

No one will be calling him The Beast ever again. Wow, how off that moniker is.

Last edited:
He seems like he has regressed in the IQ dept. Just continues to not concentrate and makes dumb mistakes. Looks even more robotic/cyborg-esque when he is running around. I really hope he can just simply board, block shots, and god willing make some bunnies whenever he plays.

I would sit him every time he shoots outside of the lane. He showed glimpses of his NCAA play tonight. JB is telling him play like that all the time or don't play!!!!!! Oh and btw don't shoot jumpers, it's not happenin.

I think we need to start assigning real numbers to things like Basketball IQ. Everything else is quantified in sports, why not this.

I give him a 26. Still working on my scale though.

I think we might sing a slightly different tune against the big boys. We're going to need him against teams like Duke and I think he'll rise to the occasion. He's done so before.

His activity on the offensive glass and then the sequence of blocks in the 2nd half started giving me hope, but yeah he's still tight as a drum... and then at the FT line - he started off the year looking like a new FT shooter and now he's just a mess again

Let's not pile on. This kid now might play a more figural role, if Lydon is injured / out for any appreciable length of time.

The team needs him to play better than he has. Here's hoping he rises to the occasion.

Let's not pile on. This kid now might play a more figural role, if Lydon is injured / out for any appreciable length of time.

The team needs him to play better than he has. Here's hoping he rises to the occasion.

He might play a bigger role but we won't be better for it.

I agree with your post but I've already piled on with my above post. And yes, I'm done hoping he will be what we want him to be. JB seems sick of hoping too. His pressers have said a lot in that regard.

He almost got that double double, but your concerns are valid. At least he moved in the right direction tonight.

He is much more capable than he shows. Although I agree with the basketball IQ point made by the OP, I have always thought that the bigger issue with Roberson is a major lack of confidence which, in turn, causes him to play tight, think too much, and act afraid to make mistakes.

JB's handling of him compounds this, but most of this is a personality set, IMO.

If this kid would just relax and turn it loose, he is capable of dominating games with his rebounding and athleticism.

He's not good at the basketball. And whatever happened to him improving his shot this offseason?

Not sure how he's likeable. He's not a bad kid or anything but what makes him likeable? He's not improved a lick in four years. Sometimes he works his arse off in games, other times he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else. Guys are likeable when they bring their best all the time. Outside of that line about him being likeable, I agree with your post.

No one will be calling him The Beast ever again. Wow, how off that moniker is.

Watch that Duke game again. Kid was the biggest beast on the boards since Derrick Coleman.

Maybe it's not likable versus his impact when he focuses his potential into the reality of his skills. And it just doesn't happen 90% of the time. I have hope that as the eligibility clock winds down, something will click big time and he will become a mini-Rodman.

That said...I kept think Lobdell would become Johnnie Morant his senior year...

I'll say this.. I would never bring in a player with Robersons skill set ever again. He doesn't fit in CBB. Your 4 needs to have a jumpshot, especially if he's undersized.

That being said... Ever since he's got here, he's been a whipping boy for JB. How do you play relaxed in that circumstance? You want him to do what when he gets the ball at the foul line?.. Shoot a jump shot and get benched if he doesn't make it? Drive the lane and get benched if he doesn't convert? Nope, so he passes it out.

I saw Lydon stumble and throw it to the other team for a layup. If that was Roberson, he would've been done for the game. Hopefully JB and Roberson have some weird tough love bond because if not, I truly feel bad for him.

Last edited:
Hopefully JB and Roberson have some weird tough love bond because if not, I truly feel bad for him.
yeah I've long wondered about this - maybe Robey (and his parents) really do understand where JB is coming from with his, uh, style of motivation... maybe behind the scenes, in JB's office or whatever, the two of them are able to talk and understand eachother, making the digs in pressers not much of a deal... I don't know

I'll say this.. I would never bring in a player with Robersons skill set ever again. He doesn't fit in CBB. Your 4 needs to have a jumpshot, especially if he's undersized.

That being said... Ever since he's got here, he's been a whipping boy for JB. How do you play relaxed in that circumstance? You want him to do what when he gets the ball at the foul line?.. Shoot a jump shot and get benched if he doesn't make it? Drive the line and get benched if he doesn't convert? Nope, so he passes it out.

I saw Lydon stumble and throw it to the other team for a layup. If that was Roberson, he would've been done for the game. Hopefully JB and Roberson have some weird tough love bond because if not, I truly feel bad for him.

Yeah, I'm sure Robey and JB are SU's Riggs and Murtaugh (sp?).

I'm not sure it's an IQ issue. His goal is to play in the league and he knows to do that he needs to develop a foul line jumper. All the coaches want him to do is rebound, dunk and play with great energy. There is a conflict there.

maybe he's a stealth player for late season .. teams will ignore him

Robey was told since he was in HS that to get to the NBA he needed that 16ft jump shot, which has never come to fruition. Now, as a senior, he has seen a freshman come in that right away is doing offensively Roeby WANTS to do, but can't. Oh and this freshman is also taking all his playing time.

Robey was told since he was in HS that to get to the NBA he needed that 16ft jump shot, which has never come to fruition. Now, as a senior, he has seen a freshman come in that right away is doing offensively Roeby WANTS to do, but can't. Oh and this freshman is also taking all his playing time.

Robey is listening to the wrong people. He needs to utilize his strengths, which is defense and rebounding. He'll never be a shooter.

The kid just has never gotten "it". There was one play, soon after he came in for the first time, on the defensive end, where a guy ran to the corner and TR was busy shading up on the guard on that side for no reason. Ultimately, the player in the corner got the ball and had an easy lane to the rim. Luckily, DC or TT shut that off, but Roberson just in la la land allowed that to happen.

He also still doesn't box out and just watches shots. I think that's more on coaching since JB said they don't coach boxing out :)confused:), but there is just no instinct there.

Face it, the kid just isn't a good basketball player and doesn't understand all the nuances you'd expect at this point. He's a great athlete who can rebound when his head is in the game, but his offensive game is non-existent.

Coaches and message board posters do have favorites - I was meaning to bring this up.

When Frank Howard brings the ball behind his head on what should be a clean dunk against Georgetown, it's evidence that he's lazy and stupid.

When Lydon does the same thing the next game, it's...what? Just an unfortunate error, I guess.

Coaches and message board posters do have favorites - I was meaning to bring this up.

When Frank Howard brings the ball behind his head on what should be a clean dunk against Georgetown, it's evidence that he's lazy and stupid.

When Lydon does the same thing the next game, it's...what? Just an unfortunate error, I guess.

Happens in the real world as well. A high producer of sales, people of stature, $$$, etc. get far more leeway when it comes to their...let's just say, shortcomings. ;)