Class of 2014 - Robert Martin, Rb, Harrisburg | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Robert Martin, Rb, Harrisburg

He's listed at 6'0", 190 pounds. Is that beefy enough for you, Cali?

By Andrew P. Shay | ashay@pennlive.com
on March 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM, updated March 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Pennsylvania Fab 25 for 2014

527048704d3038526f2b514143713149

Being on watch lists and getting plenty of attention from FBS schools probably seemed like a dream for Robert Martin a year ago.
TheHarrisburg junior missed most of his sophomore year with an injury, then transferred from Steel-High to Harrisburg for his junior season. The Cougars were coming off a 1-9 season and the possibility of even having a football season was in real jeopardy.
12462342-large.jpg
View full sizeHarrisburg running back Robert Martin is one of three running backs on the Pennsylvania 2014 Fab 25 after rushing for 1,812 yards and 18 touchdowns last season.The Patriot-News, File
In the span of six months, the Cougars went from 1-9 to District 3-AAAA finalists and Martin went from a running back nobody knew about to a bona-fide FBS recruit.
As a junior Martin rushed for 1,812 yards in fewer than 10 games as the No. 1 back. He amassed those yards in large chunks, 12.2 per carry on average, and rang up 18 touchdowns.
In addition to proving he's an elite running back, Martin is also a hammer middle linebacker. He registered more than 100 tackles for the Cougars last season.
One of three running backs on the Pennsylvania 2014 Fab 25 list, Martin is garnering more and more FBS attention with each passing month. Martin has six offers right now including West Virginia, Temple and Rutgers and attended Penn State junior day last month.
PennLive:Eventually you had what is easily classified as a breakout season in your first year at Harrisburg. What did you discover about yourself as a running back that you didn't know before?
Martin:The biggest thing I discovered about myself was that I am a next level running back and that I was able to help our team reach some of our goals during the 2012 season.
PennLive:Officially you have six offers, but the buzzword that keeps popping up with your name in recruiting circles is "stock on the rise." What are some of the things you have discovered about this process through your senior teammates and your own recruiting?
Martin: Some things I discovered about the recruiting process are that you have to have good grades and test scores so you don't miss out on a scholarship offers. And it's a good feeling to have daily contact with 20-30 FBS schools such as Penn State, Nebraska, Boston College, Maryland, North Carolina etc. ... Overall, it just feels good to have college coaches' attention!
PennLive:You excel at two positions, running back and linebacker. You are generally viewed as an FBS recruit at running back. Linebacker or running back and why?
Martin:My favorite position is running back. I like running back because I like to have the ball in my hands to be able to make plays for my team, especially in crucial moments of the game. Even though an old coach once said " in my eyes you are NOT a running back, you're a Division I linebacker." LOL... That statement stuck with me and gave me the fuel to prove that I am not only a running back, but a pretty good running back. Running back is my passion and that is what I am being recruited to play at the next level.
PennLive:Is there one school for you that maybe you've always been a fan of or followed that if they offered you it would be game over?
Martin:Honestly, I am just keeping my recruitment process open and taking it day by day. I don't want to rush anything or act off of impulse. I want to make sure the school is right for me academically and athletically.
PennLive:What will you work on most as a running back this offseason to get better? Is there something you learned or see on film as a weakness you need to address or focus on to reach the next level?
Martin:This offseason I am focusing on getting bigger, stronger legs and faster. I want to become better at pass blocking because that is something that is very important in our offense when I am not carrying the ball. If I can't help in pass protection, then our team can't pass! If our team can't pass, then our opponents will load up the box to stop our run game. So, pass blocking is one of my main focuses.

@ 8m
3-star Harrisburg (PA) RB Robert Martin just told me that Syracuse offered him today
The kid's video isn't bad at all. I saw decent speedagodd change of direction. Worthy of being on the depth chart. He is not a feature type running back but he could help the program.

Pet peeve. I put zero trust in "the rating". Hate that so many people lean on it like a crutch, and prospects are commoditized by it.

You should put even less trust in what offers have been received.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Why? Is it because some kids "stretch" the truth about their offer lists?

Why? Is it because some kids "stretch" the truth about their offer lists?

Absolutely. When we were at the last 2 sites, I had a lot of insight into that since I knew all the writers and analysts. Many kids hear from a school and claim an offer. They get told verbally they might get one they claim it. Some even embellishment or outright lie. Its not all of course but many.

Most if not all schools aren't in the habit of telling recruiting sites who they have actually offered, so more times than not it comes from the kid or his over zealous coach. I'd say 50-75% of the offer lists are wrong in one way or another.

I put trust in the evaluation of our hard-working coaches, regardless of staff. If they make good choices they'll be successful. If not, they'll be replaced. Either way I'm still cheering for and pulling for the kids.

Absolutely. When we were at the last 2 sites, I had a lot of insight into that since I knew all the writers and analysts. Many kids hear from a school and claim an offer. They get told verbally they might get one they claim it. Some even embellishment or outright lie. Its not all of course but many.

Most if not all schools aren't in the habit of telling recruiting sites who they have actually offered, so more times than not it comes from the kid or his over zealous coach. I'd say 50-75% of the offer lists are wrong in one way or another.

Some of these kids and their parents definitely use the "offer" claims to try to pump up their own stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom