Roster Makeup | Syracusefan.com

Roster Makeup

CU44SE

All Conference
I keep seeing posts that we need to pound the portal for a center if Jessie leaves or the need to hire a devoted big man coach. Obviously, it goes without saying that we are a better team next year with Jessie Edwards returning. But if he does decide to move on, I don’t believe there is a massive need to pound the portal for a Center. In the past, I think we have been extremely dependent on a center because of the zone defense. We needed a defensive anchor to man the middle of the zone. If we do indeed go away from full time zone, the need for the center position to take up 40 minutes of the game isn’t necessary.

In the future, I think we really need to look at going away from the center position and playing 3 guards and 2 longer athletic forwards the majority of the game. For one, it is a lot easier to find guards and forwards to recruit. There is really not a lot of sure fire centers. Secondly, College basketball is a guard oriented game. Generally the teams with the better guard play in March, move on. Who is the last team to win with a dominant center? Obviously a center to bring off the bench would be useful for certain situations. But I don’t believe it is necessary, or imperative that we recruit/transfer portal for a center just to have a center to start or play a majority of the minutes. The game has completely changed over the past several years. Playing more guards and athletes allows us to play faster, space the floor better, pressure defense, etc. The last several champions have all had this type of makeup.

Last dominant center to win 2015 with Okafor?

Edit: Original post didn’t save.

Last edited:
Can't argue too much about the need for a dominant center, BUT, if you go with 3 guards and 2 forwards, you'd better have guys that are strong rebounders.

Can't argue too much about the need for a dominant center, BUT, if you go with 3 guards and 2 forwards, you'd better have guys that are strong rebounders.
And the two forwards still need to be athletic and long and good rim protectors.

I keep seeing posts that we need to pound the portal for a center if Jessie leaves or the need to hire a devoted big man coach. Obviously, it goes without saying that we are a better team next year with Jessie Edwards returning. But if he does decide to move on, I don’t believe there is a massive need to pound the portal for a Center. In the past, I think we have been extremely dependent on a center because of the zone defense. We needed a defensive anchor to man the middle of the zone. If we do indeed go away from full time zone, the need for the center position to take up 40 minutes of the game isn’t necessary.

In the future, I think we really need to look at going away from the center position and playing 3 guards and 2 longer athletic forwards the majority of the game. For one, it is a lot easier to find guards and forwards to recruit. There is really not a lot of sure fire centers. Secondly, College basketball is a guard oriented game. Generally the teams with the better guard play in March, move on. Who is the last team to win with a dominant center? Obviously a center to bring off the bench would be useful for certain situations. But I don’t believe it is necessary, or imperative that we recruit/transfer portal for a center just to have a center to start or play a majority of the minutes. The game has completely changed over the past several years. Playing more guards and athletes allows us to play faster, space the floor better, pressure defense, etc. The last several champions have all had this type of makeup.

Last dominant center to win 2015 with Okafor?

Edit: Original post didn’t save.
I saw an article recently talking about rebounding % is one of the strongest indicators for Wins and losses in this era (I guess it always has been too??)...

but whatever a team uses. 2 forwards or 2 forwards and a center...they have to be able to dominate on the glass. period. current forwards on the roster wont do that. so going without a center with these forwards...might just be suicidal.

the zone was bad for rebounding...never blocking out.

teams like villanova and baylor didnt have much height, it seemed, but are great on the glass...so it is possible to rebound without a center...but look at North Carolina and Kansas...they use centers. a lot.

I saw an article recently talking about rebounding % is one of the strongest indicators for Wins and losses in this era (I guess it always has been too??)...

but whatever a team uses. 2 forwards or 2 forwards and a center...they have to be able to dominate on the glass. period. current forwards on the roster wont do that. so going without a center with these forwards...might just be suicidal.

the zone was bad for rebounding...never blocking out.

teams like villanova and baylor didnt have much height, it seemed, but are great on the glass...so it is possible to rebound without a center...but look at North Carolina and Kansas...they use centers. a lot.
If you happen to come across that article, pass it along. Would be interested in it. Rebounding is big. Especially preventing further attempts on defense and getting extra shots on offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom