round of 32 or 16? | Syracusefan.com

round of 32 or 16?

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
When will we see a repeat of the game tonight? It seems to happen every year.

Blah...this game was UConn's whole season. Really, this game is the UConn program's swan song.

On the opposite side, this game really means nothing to us.

Blah...this game was UConn's whole season. Really, this game is the UConn program's swan song.

That doesn't excuse our performance tonight.

When will we see a repeat of the game tonight? It seems to happen every year.

This used to happen a lot more frequently and would lead to midseason stretches when we would lost 4 of 6 or 5 of 7. The difference is in 09-10 and 11-12 we could have games like this and still sneak out a win. This team doesn't have the same talent.

What's frustrating to me is that UConn isn't exactly playing well. Other than shooting well from three they have 17 turnovers. We are just shooting terrible and making a ton of stupid mistakes.

This used to happen a lot more frequently and would lead to midseason stretches when we would lost 4 of 6 or 5 of 7. The difference is in 09-10 and 11-12 we could have games like this and still sneak out a win. This team doesn't have the same talent.

What's frustrating to me is that UConn isn't exactly playing well. Other than shooting well from three they have 17 turnovers. We are just shooting terrible and making a ton of stupid mistakes.

17 turnovers, and we're still down 10. What does that tell you about the disparity in effort tonight?

We've been killed on the offensive boards. Against a poor rebounding team.

We've been killed on the offensive boards. Against a poor rebounding team.

Funny thing is that leading up to this game a lot of the posters on this board said our inside play is why UConn couldn't beat us. As an undersized forward who went against plenty of better athletes and bigger players I can tell you playing inside and especially rebounding is about effort. It looked like tonight we thought we would just magically get rebounds because we were better athletes and bigger.

I'm sick of that excuse. I figured this game would be a rock fight and close through out, but our performance has been the worst of all season..which is impressive considering our previous losses.

What on our team should scare opposition? Our zone? I've been saying this ALL year. Our half court offense is god awful, especially magnified when we have literally nothing from the post. We jack up threes at some of the most ill advised times, and our guards start forcing with their head down.

Props to Uconn's guards. They absolutely owned us in attacking the zone. During that 3-4 minute stretch they had wide open shots. I'm not just posting this because of this loss, it's been like this for awhile now.

Think about this objectively. How ugly have some of these games been? The last word I would use to describe these games is fun. And not just because we lost, because it is simply ugly.

I understand that there is no great team in college ball this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost in the round of 32, and equally unsurprised if we made it to the elite 8. As far as I can see, the former seems more likely. Defense wins championships? Bull. Scoring comes first.

Consistently inconsistent won't cut it when you are trying to win 6 games against a variety of different styles of basketball.

I'm sick of that excuse. I figured this game would be a rock fight and close through out, but our performance has been the worst of all season..which is impressive considering our previous losses.

What on our team should scare opposition? Our zone? I've been saying this ALL year. Our half court offense is god awful, especially magnified when we have literally nothing from the post. We jack up threes at some of the most ill advised times, and our guards start forcing with their head down.

Props to Uconn's guards. They absolutely owned us in attacking the zone. During that 3-4 minute stretch they had wide open shots. I'm not just posting this because of this loss, it's been like this for awhile now.

Think about this objectively. How ugly have some of these games been? The last word I would use to describe these games is fun. And not just because we lost, because it is simply ugly.

I understand that there is no great team in college ball this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost in the round of 32, and equally unsurprised if we made it to the elite 8. As far as I can see, the former seems more likely. Defense wins championships? Bull. Scoring comes first.

Consistently inconsistent won't cut it when you are trying to win 6 games against a variety of different styles of basketball.

First, I didn't make an excuse.

Second, in the grand scheme of things this game is not an indicator of how we will perform in mid to late March.

We played like crap, UConn played great. Don't make it more than it is. We will be fine in March. UConn, on the other hand, will be sitting at home in March and are headed for playing in C-USA for basketball. Relax, I'll take our position any day of the week.

Second, in the grand scheme of things this game is not an indicator of how we will perform in mid to late March.

We played like crap, UConn played great. Don't make it more than it is. We will be fine in March. UConn, on the other hand, will be sitting at home in March and are headed for playing in C-USA for basketball. Relax, I'll take our position any day of the week.

Fair enough.

Regardless, my original points stand.

good thing tournament games are played on a neutral court

It should've meant something. Doesn't it count in the standings as we're trying to win the conference?

good thing tournament games are played on a neutral court

I wasn't at the game but it didn't look to intimidating to me if you are insinuating the home court advantage played a large role in the game. UConn shot well and played with a lot of energy and effort. We shot poorly, chose shitty shots most of the night and showed little effort in most of the game. If those things happen in an empty gym we lose this game.

I tend to agree with this post. But it is hard to look at that game and not be concerned. My biggest disappointment was the lack of adjustments after time-outs.

honestly I am always the most nervous about this team in tourney time. JB is not the best in march

I wasn't at the game but it didn't look to intimidating to me if you are insinuating the home court advantage played a large role in the game. UConn shot well and played with a lot of energy and effort. We shot poorly, chose shitty shots most of the night and showed little effort in most of the game. If those things happen in an empty gym we lose this game.

doesn't have anything to do with being intimidating. there is a reason it's called home court advantage. you play 20 something games a year on your court, or in uconn's case at least 10 or so i'd assume. it has to do with familiarity, and not having to travel etc. and the crowd seemed pretty energetic. neutral court would be a huge difference. once we start losing home games then i will start to worry.

It should've meant something. Doesn't it count in the standings as we're trying to win the conference?
This team was never going 16-2 in the BE this year. 9-0 at home and 5-4 in the road was always the bar. 14-4 wins the conference this year.

They still played terrible today. Poor rebounding, jacking threes early in the shot clock, letting Napier and boatright get into the lane over and over again. Trice actually started to take it to the rack at the end. MCW too. They need to do this. What was up with CJ also? Jimmy pulled him after one series. Someone has to become a post presence. I don't care if its one of the guards posting people up like old school mark Jackson. There has to be spacing on offense.

Starting to see a trend here losing to real mediocre teams? MCW doesn't like to be pressed with a guard in his grill all game. He has a hard time protecting his handle and it effects his whole ability to get the team into any offensive flow. Happened against Temple, Pitt, and now UConn. It will likely happen in the NCAA tourney too. BT runs hot and cold and he was ice cold tonight. Very poor shot selection all game and SU is not going to beat anyone in a 3 pt shooting contest. No effort on the boards either despite a huge size and talent advantage. Wow, I better go have a beer and chill.

The wild inconsistency night in and night out should trouble everyone. Flip a coin before any game. Heads they come out and play like the '95 Bulls, tails it's St. John Fisher time. The talent is there no question, they just don't seem to have the necessary work ethic and chemistry. They can turn it on when they want but seem to sleepwalk through games far too often.

This team was never going 16-2 in the BE this year. 9-0 at home and 5-4 in the road was always the bar. 14-4 wins the conference this year.

Doubt we only lose one more in conference. After the Nova game, I figured 13-5, 12-6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom