Roy Williams 16th in ESPN top 50 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Williams 16th in ESPN top 50

72Cuse

Walk On
Vote taken before the McCants news, but academic scandal mentioned in the write-up.

Guessing remaining ACC coaches will shake out something like this:

Bennett - 13-15 range
Boeheim & K - 4-6 range
Pitino - 1-3 range

Again, only based on current/very recent success, total career doesn't factor in.

Roy gets a lot of credit for starting his career as a head coach at a top two program. Yeah, he has two national titles and another six final fours. But at Kansas and UNC? And it's crazy to think he didn't win a title with some of those Teams at Kansas. To think people call Boeheim an underachiever. Other than the Adonis Jordan 1991 team and Tyler's Hansbrahs freshman year, I never got the sense that he "coached up" a team. He recruits overwhelming talent and rolls them out.

The fact that JB is 4-1 against him is telling. In all but one of those games, I would say Roy was considered to have the "better" team...and I think anyone who posts here could have coached that Kansas team to victory in 2001 against us.

Drew Gooden, Nick Collison, and Eric Chenowith vs Billy Celluck.

Roy gets a lot of credit for starting his career as a head coach at a top two program. Yeah, he has two national titles and another six final fours. But at Kansas and UNC? And it's crazy to think he didn't win a title with some of those Teams at Kansas. To think people call Boeheim an underachiever. Other than the Adonis Jordan 1991 team and Tyler's Hansbrahs freshman year, I never got the sense that he "coached up" a team. He recruits overwhelming talent and rolls them out.

The fact that JB is 4-1 against him is telling. In all but one of those games, I would say Roy was considered to have the "better" team...and I think anyone who posts here could have coached that Kansas team to victory in 2001 against us.

Drew Gooden, Nick Collison, and Eric Chenowith vs Billy Celluck.
I agree. I was there in 2003 when Kansas ran Marquette (with Dwayne Wade) off the court and thought there is no way JB will let them fast break like that against SU. After the Texas game I was sure. BTW, Tom Crean was the coach of Marquette.

The way Kansas dismantled that Marquette team was impressive. Seriously scary watching that game knowing we'd have to go through those guys to get a championship.

I agree. I was there in 2003 when Kansas ran Marquette (with Dwayne Wade) off the court and thought there is no way JB will let them fast break like that against SU. After the Texas game I was sure. BTW, Tom Crean was the coach of Marquette.

Roy's Achilles heel has always been defense. His teams run, run, and run some more. To beat him you either need to outscore the team or slow them down to a half court game. His UNC teams do the same things his KU teams did. They just run. He thought he could outrun the zone in 2003, but JB made that priority one: sprint back and set up. They had no shooters and no idea how to beat it. Even this year it was the same thing. We slowed them down and exposed their lack of half court offense. Roy's teams are great when they have the superior athletes and depth and are BALANCED. He hasn't had a balanced team since Hansbrough's senior year.

The way Kansas dismantled that Marquette team was impressive. Seriously scary watching that game knowing we'd have to go through those guys to get a championship.

I had no fear. I knew they couldn't play like that two games in a row.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom