Rule change I would propose | Syracusefan.com

Rule change I would propose

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
Everyone talks about a 30 second shot clock and I agree, but how about fewer timeouts? It's ridiculous when the final 2 minutes of a game takes 20 minutes. If you make a great defensive play and trap a player, you should be rewarded with a turnover, the offense shouldn't be bailed out with a timeout that they wouldn't need otherwise. Thoughts?

I am all for 30 second shot clock. How about going to the nba rule, and allowing a team to advance the ball to mid court after a timeout.

I'd give the players 6 personal fouls too. Extra one to compensate for the inconsistent reffing.

Right now teams get five TOs, but lose one at the half if they haven't used any yet. I think your rule change would put greater value on TOs, coaches would use them less to draw up plays and save them for emergency situations like players getting trapped...idea has some merit.

I think coaches would start to push even more for fouls to get called when the player being trapped is getting bumped/slapped/kicked/tripped and otherwise assaulted in ways that would lead to criminal charges if it occurred off a basketball court as well - because the rewards for continuing the aggressive Butler/Louisville style of defense would be even greater than it is now.

As much as people hated it - and there were some odd calls - the ONLY way the college game is going to get cleaned up is for more Oklahoma St- Gonzaga type games to occur. But interestingly the same people on these boards that cry about Syracuse getting mauled when we play Pitt whined about the officials taking center stage in that game. Can't have I both ways.

So I'd like to see fewer TOs, which would help save time for the 58 foul calls that are needed to get the college physicality down to NBA levels. Once teams back the heck off on defense and fewer foul calls are needed, we'll be cooking with fire.

The fix here is no live ball timeouts, like in FIBA. TV guys won't go for fewer timeouts, but with this rule at least teams can't be bailed out by a TO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom