Rules Changes Just in. | Syracusefan.com

Rules Changes Just in.

TerryM

Scout Team
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9259772/ncaa-basketball-rules-committee-approves-more-replays-bounds-shot-clock-violations

Now, Hyland said the defensive player cannot move into the space once the offensive player has started his upward motion with the ball.
"We think this will allow the official to make the call correctly and perhaps increase the scoring," Hyland said. "If you call a charge, then the ball is taken away. If it's a block, then the player gets to the line or could convert a three-point play. If that happens two or three times a game that's seven or eight points more in a game."

I thought that was always the rule... Is this different than not being allowed to slide under a player in the air? I mean, the difference between starting upward and actually leaving the ground is like .02 seconds. I'm not sure this will make a big difference.

How about giving the head coach 2 challenges per game like the NFL? If they want to use technology more, let the coaches have a chance to challenge.

Too late for Brandon (screwed 2 years in a row), but at least they finally got it right with the "upward motion" rule, pointed out in the thread:

Now, Hyland said the defensive player cannot move into the space once the offensive player has started his upward motion with the ball.
We're trying to make it easier for the refs. It is very difficult for the officials to see when the defender is in legal guarding position before the dribble took off.
-- St. Peter's coach John Dunne, NCAA men's basketball rules committee chair

"We think this will allow the official to make the call correctly and perhaps increase the scoring," Hyland said. "If you call a charge, then the ball is taken away. If it's a block, then the player gets to the line or could convert a three-point play. If that happens two or three times a game that's seven or eight points more in a game."

Hyland said by moving it to when the dribbler begins his upward motion for a shot or a pass, it pushes back a few steps to allow the official more time to make the call. He said this may lead to more blocking calls.

upward motion? what does that mean? does that refer to legs only or can you just raise your arms and be credited with upward motion?

I guess I'm confused. If a player is dribbling the ball down court, the defensive player dose not have to establish position to be called for a block. Does that mean it's a charge or a no call when the offenesive player runs into him? A block only occurs if the offensive player is in the act of shooting or passing (raising the ball).

I thought that was always the rule... Is this different than not being allowed to slide under a player in the air? I mean, the difference between starting upward and actually leaving the ground is like .02 seconds. I'm not sure this will make a big difference.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. How was that ever legal?

I guess they have too much pride to say, "we are adopting the NBA charge/block rules"

In the NBA almost everything is a block. In college almost everything is a charge. I doubt this fixes it. I guess the handchecking rules remain the same. Which means we can look forward to the defensive player continuing to put his hands on the offensive player and push/shove/grab him at will and if the offensive player pushes his hand off it's an offensive foul. And they wonder why teams can't score out of the 50's these days.

This rule change will revolutionize college hoops, and by revolutionize college hoops what I really mean is that I expect absolutely zero change.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9259772/ncaa-basketball-rules-committee-approves-more-replays-bounds-shot-clock-violations

The dude assumes DC is going to hit his fts .. He is wrong. 2 more pts per game.

My favorite rationale is this:

"We felt that two minutes was better than one minute," Dunne said. "Obviously, a possession with 1:10 left is just as important as one with just under a minute left."

there can be a momentum-changing blown call with 8 minutes left, too, but you can't review everything or the games will take over 3 hours to finish and become as boring as football.

just accept that blown calls are part of the game. replay doesn't change that, it just changes the time, place and nature of the errors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom