Rules question | Syracusefan.com

Rules question

Oakland

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Record
The ball is passed to someone, who is moving and catches it and clearly has possession while standing on one leg. His momentum then causes him to put his other leg down, then he picks up his original possession leg and plants it next to his other leg without dribbling. Is this traveling? This happened multiple times in yesterday's game and is a fairly common occurrence in other games - a good example happens at 15:17 in the second half.

According to the rule book, that is a traveling violation.

Section 72. Traveling

Art. 1. Traveling occurs when a player holding the ball moves a foot or both feet
in any direction in excess of prescribed limits described in this rule.
Art. 2. A player who catches the ball with both feet on the playing court may
pivot, using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot.
Art. 3. A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and
establish a pivot foot as follows:
a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;
2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the
pivot foot;

3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land
on both; neither foot can be the pivot foot.
b. When one foot is on the playing court:
1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step;
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both;
neither foot can then be the pivot foot.
Art. 4. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before
the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

Oakland said:
The ball is passed to someone, who is moving and catches it and clearly has possession while standing on one leg. His momentum then causes him to put his other leg down, then he picks up his original possession leg and plants it next to his other leg without dribbling. Is this traveling? This happened multiple times in yesterday's game and is a fairly common occurrence in other games - a good example happens at 15:17 in the second half.

Do they play for Duke?

did they not also amend the rules a few years back to say that a player who goes to the floor with the ball is traveling? never see it called.

did they not also amend the rules a few years back to say that a player who goes to the floor with the ball is traveling? never see it called.
yes

they are really letting the travel go on so many dunk plays now its just sad. no attempt at all to come down with 2 feet these days

no different then post guys doing a jump dribble move that centers love to do but is never called a travel.

You have to complete the football play.
lol...a "football play". I almost got T'd up today when an opposing player wrapped his arms around my player from behind and grabbed his arms, not the ball. They called a foul but I stood up and crossed my arms over my head and asked "Isn't that intentional?" The ref near me (who didn't call the foul) says "no, he was making a basketball play." My response "what kind of basketball play is wrapping your arms aroiund someone from behind?" "Sit down coach." I sat down but not without muttering "looked more like a football play."

They're just not calling traveling. Watch Cooney catch a pass. He travels 75% of the time.

Unfortunately I don't get the sense that we get a direct advantage from this. It seems like opponents' walks get them baskets pretty frequently.