Rutgers has done Mike Rice a favor and fired him | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers has done Mike Rice a favor and fired him

CaliCuse

All American
I guess the video going sarong that shows the wild eyed mike Rice beating on his players was enough to make them part ways. It breaks your hear ,right?Getting away from Rutgers is just the right punishment or reward for Rice.The guy always looked like he was one egg short of an omelet.in his head He never "looked" right there. He should have tried Jimmy's calming finger up his nose routine. It tends to make people look away quick of fear of seeing something worse.:p

Honest question. What happens to Rice now? Can he get another job at a small time crap school that has never been good? Or is he off limits for any AD.

Honest question. What happens to Rice now? Can he get another job at a small time crap school that has never been good? Or is he off limits for any AD.
Good question. I would imagine, if he has made some friends in this industry (questionable based on his behavior), he might become an assistant somewhere. I just don't see any AD trusting their program to him. He has not demonstrated any ability to restrain himself. If he were allowed to continue, who knows what might have happened. I can't imagine any parent allowing their child to play for him.

He's going to have to be an assistant somewhere.
I agree. Maybe he heads back to Pitt. He worked for Dixon in the past and is friends with him.

His dad is the color commentator for the Trailblazers and a bit of a wild card himself. He is the only broadcaster ever thrown out of an NBA game.

Mike has two sisters, Stephanie and Susan, who both played tennis at Syracuse, so the family isn't all bad.

Good question. I would imagine, if he has made some friends in this industry (questionable based on his behavior), he might become an assistant somewhere. I just don't see any AD trusting their program to him. He has not demonstrated any ability to restrain himself. If he were allowed to continue, who knows what might have happened. I can't imagine any parent allowing their child to play for him.
He has come out and apologized but far too little too late. As coach you must be aware of your emotions at all times.The Bobby Knight and Woody Hayes coaching style is DOA ZFollowing them out of the profession isn't a good idea. I give Jim credit for never having been accused of this s#it.:confused:

I agree. Maybe he heads back to Pitt. He worked for Dixon in the past and is friends with him.

His dad is the color commentator for the Trailblazers and a bit of a wild card himself. He is the only broadcaster ever thrown out of an NBA game.

Mike has two sisters, Stephanie and Susan, who both played tennis at Syracuse, so the family isn't all bad.
I have always felt that the man who really pushed SU basketball into the limelight wasFred Lewis who never received enough credit for his accomplishment. He came here in the midst of a Carl Vernick led team that was the bottom of the barrel in college competition. He convinced Dave Bing to leave Michigan and added him to Sam Penceal Chuck Richards along with RickDean and the other person has long eluded my recollection but I believe there were five players on the court. No .Not Jimmy! or Trowbridge.

I have always felt that the man who really pushed SU basketball into the limelight wasFred Lewis who never received enough credit for his accomplishment. He came here in the midst of a Carl Vernick led team that was the bottom of the barrel in college competition. He convinced Dave Bing to leave Michigan and added him to Sam Penceal Chuck Richards along with RickDean and the other person has long eluded my recollection but I believe there were five players on the court. No .Not Jimmy! or Trowbridge.
Dave Bing was from DC.

His brother-in-law is a Syracuse alum as well. His b-i-l is a good friend of mine. We both went to the same high school and Syracuse. I helped Mike Rice move his wife (girlfriend at the time) to a new apartment in NYC and have been out with him in the city. I’m going back to the mid 90’s here. I feel bad for his wife and kids.

His brother-in-law is a Syracuse alum as well. His b-i-l is a good friend of mine. We both went to the same high school and Syracuse. I helped Mike Rice move his wife (girlfriend at the time) to a new apartment in NYC and have been out with him in the city. I’m going back to the mid 90’s here. I feel bad for his wife and kids.

So what is your opinion of him as a person? Is he a decent guy who has anger problems and is being made to look really bad or is he an a$$hole?

It will take time and it's impossible to tell if he will ever get a chance to coach a major college team again but things like this aren't unprecedented. The most damaging aspect for Rice is that there are copious amounts of tape which explicitly demonstrate Rice's maniacal penchant for not only humiliating his players but wanders way outside the boundaries of political correctness with homophobic slurs, vile language.

It was only a few months ago that the flap occurred with Mike Montgomery pushed Allan Crabbe of Cal. A big flap ensued but the dust settled and little or nothing was heard of it when we played Cal in the tourney.

Some guys only get one chance at the Major college level. Remember Quin Snyder from Missouri? He had some issues and next thing you know he was banished to some obscure team in Texas. Now he currently an assistant coach for CSKA Moscow of the Russian Professional Basketball League.

I think the personal nature of the attacks and that his behavior involved both physical as well as emotional assaults upon the young adults that he supposedly is mentoring will make it difficult for someone to feel good about giving him an opportunity to work in the same capacity with players.

Bruce Pearl's transgressions were more along the line of breaking NCAA rules and perhaps the worst element was the lying when he was called out on it. That resulted in questions to his character, again, a poor role model for young athletes that he is not only coaching but mentoring. So Pearl's offense while meriting punishment and losing his coaching position did not exclude him from getting a nice offer to work doing commentary for a major network. I don't see something similar happening with Rice. His persona is really damaged and any path back to coaching would likely be only through getting an offer to work as an assistant under the supervision of a head coach and letting some time pass without further incident.

There's a lot of coaches who appear pretty disheveled on the side of the court. But Rice really projected the image of a guy who was near the edge of becoming completely unglued in some of the games I remember seeing. And those tapes... well that's some pretty powerfully damning stuff.
People who do things like that have deeper underlying issues. Those will need to be addressed by Rice in convincing fashion before we see him at the helm of a team again.

Plus, I think there would have been a significant chance that had Rice stayed, someone would have violently attacked him.

I can't see anyone risking their reputation or their position by hiring him. I wouldn't hire him to mow my lawn or shovel my driveway.

What?!? How does that happen?