Rutgers Preview | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers Preview

ivorytower

Starter
No Jeremy or Powell in depth preview yet so here is my superficially light rundown of Rutgers.

Faced Scarlet Knights twice in last two years and split home and away games with home team winning both... 14-10 loss at Rutgers in 18" with R attackman Jules Henisburg scoring 6 goals. Refhuss led Cuse with two goals in losing cause . ...Cuse won at Dome in 2019 by score 18-14 with their R attackman Charmbildes scoring 6 goals and fellow attackman Mullins having 6 assists .Jamie Trimboli led Cuse comeback from large early deficit with 4 goals. Both games were decide in the fourth quarter.

Rutgers entire attack returns and it is their strength with Charamlides, Mullins and Gallagher. They had seven goals and 11 assists in a 16-11 loss to Princeton this week. David Sprock has blossomed as their lead mid with just a sprinkling from other mids.

Their defense is considered neither a strength or weakness. Bullet is their #1 close defender. Goalie Edelman graduated and that position is now mannned by Cleveland St transfer Steven Russo who is competent at 50%.

Faceoffs has been an issue as they are at 33%. Should be big advantage here.

The only common opponent has been Army who beat them soundly.

Rutgers at Ridley took Loyola down to the wire losing 11-10 despite losing 23 of 24 faceoffs.

Weather Saturday is expected to be dry and in the low 50's. Syracuse is a draw, likely to have a large crowd as 2018 attendance at Rutgers for Syracuse game was over five thousand .

1583799259790.png

I went to the game 2 years ago up there. Man that train horn that goes off when they score is loud and at least on that day was more annoying than the Hopkins band.

I went to the game 2 years ago up there. Man that train horn that goes off when they score is loud and at least on that day was more annoying than the Hopkins band.
I just wanted to note that the members of the Johns Hopkins band looked like a casting call for a new Revenge of the Nerds movie.

it had to be the saddest group of misfits in college band history. I seriously doubt any of them are ever going to get laid. And they sounded exactly like they looked.

E2E37864-615E-449A-9966-552818993192.jpeg

Last edited:
No Jeremy or Powell in depth preview yet so here is my superficially light rundown of Rutgers.

Faced Scarlet Knights twice in last two years and split home and away games with home team winning both... 14-10 loss at Rutgers in 18" with R attackman Jules Henisburg scoring 6 goals. Refhuss led Cuse with two goals in losing cause . ...Cuse won at Dome in 2019 by score 18-14 with their R attackman Charmbildes scoring 6 goals and fellow attackman Mullins having 6 assists .Jamie Trimboli led Cuse comeback from large early deficit with 4 goals. Both games were decide in the fourth quarter.

Rutgers entire attack returns and it is their strength with Charamlides, Mullins and Gallagher. They had seven goals and 11 assists in a 16-11 loss to Princeton this week. David Sprock has blossomed as their lead mid with just a sprinkling from other mids.

Their defense is considered neither a strength or weakness. Bullet is their #1 close defender. Goalie Edelman graduated and that position is now mannned by Cleveland St transfer Steven Russo who is competent at 50%.

Faceoffs has been an issue as they are at 33%. Should be big advantage here.

The only common opponent has been Army who beat them soundly.

Rutgers at Ridley took Loyola down to the wire losing 11-10 despite losing 23 of 24 faceoffs.

Weather Saturday is expected to be dry and in the low 50's. Syracuse is a draw, likely to have a large crowd as 2018 attendance at Rutgers for Syracuse game was over five thousand .

SU travels, just like last week in Boston, B'more, and Coral Gables, the Orange Horde will take over the opponent stadium.

I just wanted to note that the members of the Johns Hopkins band looked like a casting call for a new Revenge of the Nerds movie.

it had to be the saddest group of misfits in college band history. I seriously doubt any of them are ever going to get laid. And they sounded exactly like they looked.

View attachment 177715

That's just mean, boomer.

Btw, hate that freaking song.

Thanks IT, this is a good overview and I had many of the same thoughts as well. To me, with a big game at Duke in a week, this has "Let Down, Look Ahead" written all over it. Rutgers does not have a good record, and they haven't lost to the same quality of teams as Hopkins has, but save the Army game all have been close. This team has big time talent and it would be a shame if SU took this one for granted.

I hope Mellen and Dearth are back for this one, if only to get them ready for Duke and the ACC schedule. Imagine that Kennedy will stay at close defense regardless of if Mellen is back. I think if Syracuse is able to win faceoffs they could run away with this one, but they can't take their foot off the gas like they did against Hopkins. Like IT has pointed out, over the past two years our defense has not been able to figure out their attack, and if we give them opportunities they will cash in.

This seems as good a spot as any to post this. Just some fun facts after looking at the individual stats for the team so far this year:

-Chase Scanlan is shooting it at 46% this year including a team best 80% shot-on-goal percentage. Highest SOG % last year was Voigt at 70% for reference. Basically if he shoots it the goalie has to do something about it.
-Trimboli is shooting it at a whopping 47%, a 23% improvement from last year. That is pretty insane for a middie, especially a cuse middie in recent years. Highest shooting % on the team last year was Voigt and Solomon at 44%. Highest for a middie besides Buttermore's 40% was trimboli at 24% (yuck).
-Curry has also shown massive improvement in shooting percentage so far. Has gone from 21% to 37%, another great percentage for a middie.
-Dordevic is at 30% which is especially impressive when you consider he was at roughly 10% through the first 2 or 3 games. Been very efficient in the last two contests.
-Griffin Cook leads the team in caused turnovers! He has 7 already. More than any attack had for us in all of last season (Rehfuss had the most at 6). I'm assuming he is on a national leader board across all positions for caused turnovers as well. Impressive to say the least.
-Nick DePietro leads the defense in caused turnovers with 6. Kennedy right behind him with 5.

Agree about the need to prepare our sidelined talent for Duke but not ideal game for Mellen to return. Dont know if its Rutgers schemes or personnel but he frankly has been lost in last two matchups agaisnt Rutgers . He wouldn't be covering Charambildes and rather have DiPietro and Murphy who are in sync on the 2nd and 3rd attackman right now . Know that sounds blasphemous but without many practice reps be more pragmatic to ease him back if game allows either way.
Dearth's injury is more recent and his rest limited. He's critical for those ACC games because his size , speed and transition will be needed. Perhaps best to be cautious with him . He wouldn't have much rust if off two weeks and Rutgers game could afford him another week if trainers are not completely sure . Sprock is very good but their offense is really not mid oriented . Looking at top teams listed and all appear to be pushing pace outside highly efficient Cornell and Cuse . Slow JHU appeared to transiytion more than we. Set offense has been efficient mainly due to mid accuracy but cant see Cuse winning a chip without pace that loosens defenses.. Every analyst seems to question limiting the dimension that Kennedy brings and Mellen return will further raise the question. Planning for next year successions shouldn't preclude best lining up this year because window is there now. Very clear that all units are solid with good depth but still would tinker even with attack. Syracuse fortunately is strong in the two positions, goalie and fogo, that boy itself can win or lose games . There was only one game were both sputtered some (Hobart) but its been a large advantage and should be for Rutgers. This schedule becomes more daunting and Cuse will lose some games , very important to get this win. Gotta be mentally ready and realize that as #1 you are the hunted. Rutgers has some talent and will be up for this game.

Agree about the need to prepare our sidelined talent for Duke but not ideal game for Mellen to return. Dont know if its Rutgers schemes or personnel but he frankly has been lost in last two matchups agaisnt Rutgers . He wouldn't be covering Charambildes and rather have DiPietro and Murphy who are in sync on the 2nd and 3rd attackman right now . Know that sounds blasphemous but without many practice reps be more pragmatic to ease him back if game allows either way.
Dearth's injury is more recent and his rest limited. He's critical for those ACC games because his size , speed and transition will be needed. Perhaps best to be cautious with him . He wouldn't have much rust if off two weeks and Rutgers game could afford him another week if trainers are not completely sure . Sprock is very good but their offense is really not mid oriented . Looking at top teams listed and all appear to be pushing pace outside highly efficient Cornell and Cuse . Slow JHU appeared to transiytion more than we. Set offense has been efficient mainly due to mid accuracy but cant see Cuse winning a chip without pace that loosens defenses.. Every analyst seems to question limiting the dimension that Kennedy brings and Mellen return will further raise the question. Planning for next year successions shouldn't preclude best lining up this year because window is there now. Very clear that all units are solid with good depth but still would tinker even with attack. Syracuse fortunately is strong in the two positions, goalie and fogo, that boy itself can win or lose games . There was only one game were both sputtered some (Hobart) but its been a large advantage and should be for Rutgers. This schedule becomes more daunting and Cuse will lose some games , very important to get this win. Gotta be mentally ready and realize that as #1 you are the hunted. Rutgers has some talent and will be up for this game.

Kennedy has had maybe four or five opportunities this year on the fast break and has not looked that comfortable in any of those situations (including this past week against Hopkins). Not sure what the issue is, maybe he feels like he's out of position since there is an urgency for him to get back and play defense, but he hasn't been making good decisions. Maybe he would have more opportunities if he was playing midfield, but I don't think that is why he is struggling. He can still get up the field in a hurry and on a number of plays he's had open looks. His mind just might be working overtime trying to adapt to a new role?

Would have thought the ssdms would be putting up more points, but I do think a lot of teams are making a concerted effort to get back on D (hence why the Orange clearing % is so high).

Agree on the tinkering point - although I must remind myself I was pushing for the staff to shake up the midfield units and now that looks silly given how well the first unit has been playing. Cook looked like he might lead the team in scoring during fall ball/spring scrimmages so we might just have to give him more time to make a bigger impact.

Hear ya, Could have pulled up for two shots , traveling longer distances means a additional second or two for defenses to fall in. Been some hesitation whether to attack or pass, had to be exhausting to sprint sixty and then get back eighty on that one run. Maybe Ill try bicycling that today lol. Good observation about opponents falling back . Desko had mentioned our ability to go by so pressure isn't all out. Very efficient on clears at 91% but miss the push of last two years, meanwhile it appears many teams are picking up their pace . UVA Rode just flings it upfield immediately after every save, can look bit sloppy at times but love how they play and we have personnel to do likewise. Had expected former om's Dami and Aviles to join Dearth in providing upfield push and the occasional score but hasn't happen yet. Likely will but gotta be greater focus because it will become increasingly difficult to attack the better defenses when settled. Biit wary of expecting mids to both initiate and shoot lights out every game. Vast improvements that may be difficult to maintain week in week out. Gonna have to give opposing defensive coordinators different looks like we did in Army with Dordevic and Curry inverting. Seebold size could also be used at X that can turn heads and pulls defenses in. No wholesale changes, just tinkering when situations call for it.

Kennedy has had maybe four or five opportunities this year on the fast break and has not looked that comfortable in any of those situations (including this past week against Hopkins). Not sure what the issue is, maybe he feels like he's out of position since there is an urgency for him to get back and play defense, but he hasn't been making good decisions. Maybe he would have more opportunities if he was playing midfield, but I don't think that is why he is struggling. He can still get up the field in a hurry and on a number of plays he's had open looks. His mind just might be working overtime trying to adapt to a new role?

Would have thought the ssdms would be putting up more points, but I do think a lot of teams are making a concerted effort to get back on D (hence why the Orange clearing % is so high).

Agree on the tinkering point - although I must remind myself I was pushing for the staff to shake up the midfield units and now that looks silly given how well the first unit has been playing. Cook looked like he might lead the team in scoring during fall ball/spring scrimmages so we might just have to give him more time to make a bigger impact.
Other teams discovered Kennedy last year. They lean toward him when he goes over the midfield. And your point about his new position is a good one. I think his caution is wise. While his scores are spectacular, they are not as necessary as they were a year ago. Scanlan is always hanging around for his passes and that must terrify defenses.

I am ambivalent about Mellen's return this coming Saturday. The defense to this point has played far above my expectations without Mellen. DiPietro and Murphy have done yeoman work within the scheme and Helmer in his quiet way covers well for their mistakes. Rutgers always seems to disrupt SU's defensive cohesion and like Hobart they have excellent attacks who move the ball very creatively and quickly. I'd give Mellen another week off. Dearth will be missed if he cannot go, but the other ssdms have done very well in his absence. Apart from Brock, the Rutgers mids are not as dangerous, so I'd scheme to bring the ssdms quickly to double the attacks and see whether their mids could beat us. I'll go out on a limb to assert that the Rutgers goalie could be scorched. I watched him in a couple games for Cleveland State. Shaky at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom