Rutgers Stadium Impressions | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers Stadium Impressions

JSOrange97

All Conference
Just a few quick hits from Saturday about parking/venue at the Rutgers game:

Parking in Johnson Park was quite easy and convenient for tailgating. Orderly in and out (though the Ranger starting kicking everyone out a bit early IMHO. It was nice to see other Orange faithful (that's you, Cuseguy, SUBarney, and nycfan.) We had about a dozen folks in our tailgate which was mostly family including a friend of my sister who played OL for the Orange in the late '90s. We had a great time leading up to the game.

Getting through security and the gate was straightforward and staff was courteous.

I was surprised with how empty the stadium was. Eventually the student section came close to filling up, but the rest of the turnout was fairly dreadful for a 19/20th ranked team. The place was quiet for most of the day (except for when we were giving the ball and points away.)

Now I had seen the references to the UConn board about all of the negatives regarding the stadium itself. I wanted to have an open mind, but I must say that some of it was right on. The facility itself is totally underwhelming (and folks say the Carrier Dome is drab.) The look of the place is ho-hum. The main complaints I have were that the bathroom lines were horrendous (and the stadium wasn't even close to being full), and the concessions were dreadful.

Now you could say that with a tailgate, why bother with the concessions? With my children in tow, I thought I'd treat to popcorn, pretzels, and some drinks. Well, what an ordeal that was: burnt popcorn and stale/dry pretzels. At least they didn't screw up the Gatorade - but they couldn't because it was bottled! The staff was clueless. I ask for a bucket of popcorn (silly me, that is what it says on the menu), and they ask "small or large?" I say, "a bucket". Again, "small or large?". So now I am on to them, "Large" (which I guess means bucket in their language.) Whew. And then she proceeds to forget the popcorn...

Just trying to pay took forever. They have these little calculators that these folks don't understand how they actually work. Sigh. Now I know that a lot of these stands might have volunteers, etc. but so do a lot of stadiums, and I have to say that Rutgers was the worst I've seen.

Well, I won't have to worry about that stadium anytime again soon, which is actually a bit of a bummer. Since we live in NJ, it was nice to have a day trip and tailgate to see my beloved Orange. Even if we did lose (which sucked, and topic of other posts), it was a beautiful day for football.

Rutgers: Decently Good but expensive to park for Tailgating (still think UConn is better), ignorant home fans, awesome recruiting lounge, well lit helicopter landing pad, and craptastic stadium for seating, peeing and eating.

Bathroom lines caused problems.

Food was eh.

Stadium was not full by any stretch.

Hard to get around at times.

Still, not a bad place to see a game.

Nice meeting you, JS. Like you said, too bad it's the end of the series. Easy game to get to for those of us in the metro area. Hope to meet up with you again.

Just a few quick hits from Saturday about parking/venue at the Rutgers game:

Parking in Johnson Park was quite easy and convenient for tailgating. Orderly in and out (though the Ranger starting kicking everyone out a bit early IMHO. It was nice to see other Orange faithful (that's you, Cuseguy, SUBarney, and nycfan.) We had about a dozen folks in our tailgate which was mostly family including a friend of my sister who played OL for the Orange in the late '90s. We had a great time leading up to the game.

Getting through security and the gate was straightforward and staff was courteous.

I was surprised with how empty the stadium was. Eventually the student section came close to filling up, but the rest of the turnout was fairly dreadful for a 19/20th ranked team. The place was quiet for most of the day (except for when we were giving the ball and points away.)

Now I had seen the references to the UConn board about all of the negatives regarding the stadium itself. I wanted to have an open mind, but I must say that some of it was right on. The facility itself is totally underwhelming (and folks say the Carrier Dome is drab.) The look of the place is ho-hum. The main complaints I have were that the bathroom lines were horrendous (and the stadium wasn't even close to being full), and the concessions were dreadful.

Now you could say that with a tailgate, why bother with the concessions? With my children in tow, I thought I'd treat to popcorn, pretzels, and some drinks. Well, what an ordeal that was: burnt popcorn and stale/dry pretzels. At least they didn't screw up the Gatorade - but they couldn't because it was bottled! The staff was clueless. I ask for a bucket of popcorn (silly me, that is what it says on the menu), and they ask "small or large?" I say, "a bucket". Again, "small or large?". So now I am on to them, "Large" (which I guess means bucket in their language.) Whew. And then she proceeds to forget the popcorn...

Just trying to pay took forever. They have these little calculators that these folks don't understand how they actually work. Sigh. Now I know that a lot of these stands might have volunteers, etc. but so do a lot of stadiums, and I have to say that Rutgers was the worst I've seen.

Well, I won't have to worry about that stadium anytime again soon, which is actually a bit of a bummer. Since we live in NJ, it was nice to have a day trip and tailgate to see my beloved Orange. Even if we did lose (which sucked, and topic of other posts), it was a beautiful day for football.

Why bother?

As you said yourself, its unlikely SU will play at that stadium anytime in the next decade.

Granted that it is not the New Meadowlands, but I've always had a good time going to the games at Rutgers.

- It's easy to get to from the NY Metro area
- Good tickets are usually easy to find
- I have never had any issues with their fans, even when decked out in Orange
- Finding a good spot to tailgate is always easy (I don't mind taking the shuttles)

There are only things a few that really bother me about the stadium -- the annoying "3rd Down" and "That's another Rutgers... First down" choreographed cheers. I think doing stupid things like that kills that atmosphere instead of just having the students go wild.

The only other thing that I would complain about is their desperate need for pee-troughs. I never get the concessions - that's what tailgating is for.

The RAC is no longer viable for tailgating. They now have solar powered over hangs that make it look like airport parking. Who the hell wants to be tailgating practically indoors?

Like I said in another thread, considering everything about the experience, UConn's Rent iscfar better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Like I said in another thread, considering everything about the experience, UConn's Rent iscfar better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I agree.

Overall, UConn has better tailgating, access to stadium and better sight lines.

I don't like that UConn is miles from campus. Takes away from some of the college atmosphere.

We've certainly enjoyed parking in the Johnson Park lot at RU. Can't get much closer to the stadium.

But now it no longer matters.

BC and Maryland replace UConn and Rutgers.

BC really has no tailgating. About as bad as I've ever seen.

Maryland has tailgating but it will probably be a hike for visitors without season parking passes, from what I can recall from lax final four trips there.

The RAC is no longer viable for tailgating. They now have solar powered over hangs that make it look like airport parking. Who the hell wants to be tailgating practically indoors?
there are plenty and were plenty of spots out in the sun at the RAC before and after the game.

There are only things a few that really bother me about the stadium -- the annoying "3rd Down" and "That's another Rutgers... First down" choreographed cheers. I think doing stupid things like that kills that atmosphere instead of just having the students go wild.

That was bush, it came through pretty clearly on television. The PA and all the canned music gave things a very minor league feel.

I really wish Syracuse would recognize how badly that comes across - both in person and on TV - and limit the canned music and keep a lid on Mr. Excitement. It should be easy to notice that the Rutgers atmosphere is lacking; we ought to move in the opposite direction.

Wow, if i didn't know I was on the Syracuse board, I would have thought some of this was from our board.

Concessions SUCK. We recently changed to Sodexo, and the service and selection has been awful. And what is with the $1.99 calculators? Can't agree more.

Stadium empty at kickoff, especially for early games is a huge complaint. People hang out at the tailgates well into the 1st quater. Is it because there is no beer sales? Because the tailgate food is so much better? Culture? All of the above in my opinion.

I agree with the trough suggestion too. Lines for bathroom suck!

I am not sure I agree with the first down cheer, but definitley the 3rd down music.
Also, the crowd was 48k, stadium holds 52.5K. The corners of the end zones look sparse but they are often students/young alum who jam into the students section because it is more fun. The wings of the upper deck are usually empty, that is definitley the difference in numbers between full house and announced crowds. We definitely need to do a better job there.

I was dissapointed that there weren't as many orange shirts this year. I dont want to get into the rivalry discussion, but I always enjoyed Cuse games because there was a good turn out from the visitors, and it added to the level of intensity. This year felt subdued. I have been going to games every year since 1976, and been a seaons ticket holder since the 90's.
I have seen a lot of awful football, great football and everything in between. I always look forward to Cuse on the schedule, even when it is 50-3 and you kneel at the 1 4 times.

I for one will miss you guys, good luck in the ACC. Hope we can get you on our schedule again down the road.

I agree.

Overall, UConn has better tailgating, access to stadium and better sight lines.

I don't like that UConn is miles from campus. Takes away from some of the college atmosphere.

We've certainly enjoyed parking in the Johnson Park lot at RU. Can't get much closer to the stadium.

But now it no longer matters.

BC and Maryland replace UConn and Rutgers.

BC really has no tailgating. About as bad as I've ever seen.

Maryland has tailgating but it will probably be a hike for visitors without season parking passes, from what I can recall from lax final four trips there.

I don't know where you parked at Maryland, but I'd have to disagree on the availability or parking and space for tailgating. There's a huge parking lot adjacent to the stadium and it's big enough to accommodate just about everybody who attends a game at Byrd Stadium.

I don't know what your definition of a "hike' is? But even from the far end of that big parking lot to the stadium is not much of a walk (10 minutes?)

Visiting Washington, DC and environs is light years better than visiting Central New Jersey. By any measure ... bars, restraunts, hotels, tourist sites, etc., etc. Unless you are writing a research paper on deteriorating strip malls. The NJ is your spot.

I don't know where you parked at Maryland, but I'd have to disagree on the availability or parking and space for tailgating. There's a huge parking lot adjacent to the stadium and it's big enough to accommodate just about everybody who attends a game at Byrd Stadium.

I don't know what your definition of a "hike' is? But even from the far end of that big parking lot to the stadium is not much of a walk (10 minutes?)

Visiting Washington, DC and environs is light years better than visiting Central New Jersey. By any measure ... bars, restraunts, hotels, tourist sites, etc., etc. Unless you are writing a research paper on deteriorating strip malls. The NJ is your spot.

If they only played in DC and not Byrd in PGC...

My tailgate sources sez Maryland has some secret lots on campus that can be used for free. I'll try to ferret those out.

I'm resigned to a game at BC to be different. I'm thinking we meet somewhere for food n drinks and shuttle in...it sucks but it beats playing Temple.

Like upstate said, plenty of sunny spots. Got there at 9:15 and pretty much had our choice of spots.

Just not up to speed on the parking situation at Maryland. If that's the case, fine.

My tailgate sources sez Maryland has some secret lots on campus that can be used for free. I'll try to ferret those out.

I'm resigned to a game at BC to be different. I'm thinking we meet somewhere for food n drinks and shuttle in...it sucks but it beats playing Temple.

Is the BC game - home and away - set in stone for the day after Thanksgiving every year? Hope not.

If they only played in DC and not Byrd in PGC...

You mean RFK? Nationals Park? Actually, that's an interesting idea. It'll never fly. But it is "out of the box" thinking.

I actually don't think many visiting fans are going to take side trips to the National Mall and other places. But they are there and in an abundance that New Brunswick, NJ can't hope to compare to. We live here, so we are used to it all. But, if you are coming from CNY, DC is a great place to visit. If they stop at Gettysburg, they won't be sorry.

The best combo of stadium, parking lots for tailgating, hotels, sites and eating places is Ravens Stadium. You can walk everywhere.

Wow, if i didn't know I was on the Syracuse board, I would have thought some of this was from our board.

Concessions SUCK. We recently changed to Sodexo, and the service and selection has been awful. And what is with the $1.99 calculators? Can't agree more.

Stadium empty at kickoff, especially for early games is a huge complaint. People hang out at the tailgates well into the 1st quater. Is it because there is no beer sales? Because the tailgate food is so much better? Culture? All of the above in my opinion.

I agree with the trough suggestion too. Lines for bathroom suck!

I am not sure I agree with the first down cheer, but definitley the 3rd down music.
Also, the crowd was 48k, stadium holds 52.5K. The corners of the end zones look sparse but they are often students/young alum who jam into the students section because it is more fun. The wings of the upper deck are usually empty, that is definitley the difference in numbers between full house and announced crowds. We definitely need to do a better job there.

I was dissapointed that there weren't as many orange shirts this year. I dont want to get into the rivalry discussion, but I always enjoyed Cuse games because there was a good turn out from the visitors, and it added to the level of intensity. This year felt subdued. I have been going to games every year since 1976, and been a seaons ticket holder since the 90's.
I have seen a lot of awful football, great football and everything in between. I always look forward to Cuse on the schedule, even when it is 50-3 and you kneel at the 1 4 times.

I for one will miss you guys, good luck in the ACC. Hope we can get you on our schedule again down the road.

It is slowly dawning on the Rutgers crowd that SU is gone. This guy is quicker on the uptake than most.

One more BB game and one more lacrosse game and we are off to the ACC with little reason to schedule them in anything..

You need to meet some people at BC. Always loved my tailgates there, but have to know someone, preferably at Shea Field.

If you do the food and drink thing at Cityside or one of the other BC bars, it's a nice walk around the water to the stadium. 1 mile tops.

Chestnut Hill is one of the best campus atmospheres I've been to on a fall day (not necessarily stadium atmosphere), and then knowing you have a fun city to enjoy the rest of the night. Best of both worlds. It's better if our game is in early to mid October.

1) Stadium empty at kickoff, especially for early games is a huge complaint. People hang out at the tailgates well into the 1st quater. Is it because there is no beer sales? Because the tailgate food is so much better? Culture? All of the above in my opinion.

2) Also, the crowd was 48k, stadium holds 52.5K. The corners of the end zones look sparse but they are often students/young alum who jam into the students section because it is more fun. The wings of the upper deck are usually empty, that is definitley the difference in numbers between full house and announced crowds.

1) We have a similar problem, people can't make it to the game by the 1st quarter. Unfortunately for us they don't make it for the 2nd or 3rd. When the old folks finally pull themselves from the bar and get their legs up the hill they can't get in the dome because of the rush of fans exiting the dome in the 3rd quarter. I think our crowd size would increase if we just tallied up all the people in the general 20 mile radius of the dome.

2) Again, similar problem. On t.v. it appears that nobody shows up to the game because of all the silver they see on the screen. The reality is they've all trickled into the huge student section and in the SUMB areas of the stadium.

You need to meet some people at BC. Always loved my tailgates there, but have to know someone, preferably at Shea Field.

If you do the food and drink thing at Cityside or one of the other BC bars, it's a nice walk around the water to the stadium. 1 mile tops.

Chestnut Hill is one of the best campus atmospheres I've been to on a fall day (not necessarily stadium atmosphere), and then knowing you have a fun city to enjoy the rest of the night. Best of both worlds. It's better if our game is in early to mid October.

Yeah, BC can definitely be a very fun experience, you just have to plan ahead and know where to go. Being proficient at the interwebs makes that process pretty easy.

I'll take a game in Chestnut Hill over Piscataway or East Hartford any day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom