Ryan Kelly's performance got me thinking | Syracusefan.com

Ryan Kelly's performance got me thinking

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Why in the holy lord's name do we run screens using Baye as the screener? What's the threat? The point of a pick is to either a) roll, b) pop for a jumper, or c) free your teammate for an open look. Since our guards are shooting sub 30% from three, we need an a or b.

I had this discussion with two of my friends last night (both my age, but we know a bit of basketball). The best shooter on the team should be setting the screens. That would be James. Baye setting a screen is only bringing another defender to our guard.

Watch the duke game. Ryan Kelly feasted on the pick and pop.

Glad he'll be gone by next season and won't get to light us up.

Why in the holy lord's name do we run screens using Baye as the screener? What's the threat? The point of a pick is to either a) roll, b) pop for a jumper, or c) free your teammate for an open look. Since our guards are shooting sub 30% from three, we need an a or b.

I had this discussion with two of my friends last night (both my age, but we know a bit of basketball). The best shooter on the team should be setting the screens. That would be James. Baye setting a screen is only bringing another defender to our guard.

Watch the duke game. Ryan Kelly feasted on the pick and pop.
Actually, I think JB uses the ball screen to get the guard a step ahead so he can penetrate but that's not working either. It may be because the guy setting the pick isn't a threat but I think it's because either the big men are setting rotten picks or the guards don't know how to run their man into the pick. Either way, the picks don't usually accomplish anything.

Earlier in the season, they used to pick and pop with JS. Haven't seen it since he came back which is too bad because I think it worked, at least once in a while.