S.U. great Walt Sweeney dead at 71 | Syracusefan.com

S.U. great Walt Sweeney dead at 71

a piriah to Syracuse history. I always felt for the guy since that horrible play at NotrE Dame that even as a kid knowing it was BS. One of the primary reasons but not the only one to detest NotreDame in anything they do.Even JFK waved a question about that game off in a press conference He knew it was BS.WHAT MANY DON'T KNOW IS thataSyracuse victory would have made us the first team in their history to beat ND on the first visit to South Bend. You only get one chance to do that. We did it but the fate decided otherwise.RIP Walt,You are still one of my favorite names in my memory bank.The balance in that bank gets less every year.:(

Coach Schwartzwalder loved to tell a story about that ND game. SU had a time out prior to ND trying the FG and he stressed the fact that their kicker couldn't make one from that far out. Just let him kick it was his final instruction. Per his prediction the kick was short, but Sweeney ran off the field yelling, "Did you see me get that guy, Coach." He'd run into the holder and ND got a second attempt from 15 yrds closer and made it for the win. The irony was that at that time there was nothing in the rulebook regarding roughing the holder. ND later said they'd forfeit the win if that was truly the case. We're still waiting.

Coach Schwartzwalder loved to tell a story about that ND game. SU had a time out prior to ND trying the FG and he stressed the fact that their kicker couldn't make one from that far out. Just let him kick it was his final instruction. Per his prediction the kick was short, but Sweeney ran off the field yelling, "Did you see me get that guy, Coach." He'd run into the holder and ND got a second attempt from 15 yrds closer and made it for the win. The irony was that at that time there was nothing in the rulebook regarding roughing the holder. ND later said they'd forfeit the win if that was truly the case. We're still waiting.
Ben never forgave Sweeney for that ply. He took it to the grave.Unfortunate for them both.:(