Sad Day... | Syracusefan.com

Sad Day...

iommi

Living Legend
Sabbath played their final show in their hometown of Birmingham in the Midlands of England. I am "iommi" and though this is OT, I'm hoping the mods will give this a pass. This truly is their final show and I'm overjoyed at the win but sad that Sabbath and the godfather of heavy metal, Tony Iommi, have taken their final bows.

A sad day for sure.
Funny, I was just arguing with a friend the other day that Sabbath first 5 albums is more important, more influential, more pleasurable to listen to than the first 5 Zeppelin albums - and I love LZ

A sad day for sure.
Funny, I was just arguing with a friend the other day that Sabbath first 5 albums is more important, more influential, more pleasurable to listen to than the first 5 Zeppelin albums - and I love LZ

Love it. But why start at the first 5? Sabotage is so amazing and underrated.

Love it. But why start at the first 5? Sabotage is so amazing and underrated.
oh wait, I thought Sabotage was #5, but yeah it's actually #6 - you're right it's by far their most underrated release.

For me I rank them as

1) Paranoid
2) V4
3) Sabotage
4) Master of Reality
5) s/t
6) SBS

I should be really happy. Cuse wins a humongous game and more importantly I had my three-year cancer surgery follow-up yesterday. All good. cancer.

I think that's why Sabbath is my favorite band. They had plenty of light moments. Heck, pearl, just listen to the gorgeous "Laguna Sunrise" on Vol. 4, recorded after Tony saw a beautiful sunrise in... Laguna Beach. But that is backed up by some of the most brutal riffs of all times. I can relate to that light and shade. It's very personal to me in many ways.

Last edited:
I should be really happy. Cuse wins a humongous game and more importantly I had my three-year cancer surgery follow-up yesterday. All good. cancer.

I think that's why Sabbath is my favorite band. They had the plenty of light moments. Heck, pearl, just listen to the gorgeous "Latina Sunrise" on Vol. 4, recorded after Tony saw a beautiful sunrise in... Laguna Beach. But that is backed up by some of the most brutal riffs of all times. I can relate to that light and shade. It's very personal to me in many ways.
well said, brother -
and way to go on defeating that bastard 'C'!!!!! - I lost my dad to it this past year and my mom is battling it too

oh wait, I thought Sabotage was #5, but yeah it's actually #6 - you're right it's by far their most underrated release.

For me I rank them as

1) Paranoid
2) V4
3) Sabotage
4) Master of Reality
5) s/t
6) SBS

I go:

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Vol.4
Black Sabbath
Sabotage
Master of Reality
Paranoid
Technical Ecstasy
Never Say Die!

I love the last two. Love them so it's tough for me to rank them there. I listen to them more than Paranoid, which is classic but overplayed. The production sucked on TE and NSD but a lot of great songs.

Last edited:
well said, brother -
and way to go on defeating that bastard 'C'!!!!! - I lost my dad to it this past year and my mom is battling it too

Thanks. Best to your mom. My mom was Stage 4 colon and liver and is doing great. Miraculous really.

A sad day for sure.

I dont want to get in that argument, but you very well could be right. I was just yesterday lamenting the federal government's "war on good music", the only ****ing one of their "wars" they've actually won in how long??!?!?!

Seriously, out of just the 2 bands you named(not that they were American anyhow...cough, not to mention The Beatles, Floyd, etc), have we seen even ONE that can be considered peers? Seriously. Any ideas why?

As Pearl said, congrats on your victory, Iommi. I'm about to youtube that song(or possibly use other means in a moment) to honor you and your mother. You may have seen some of my posts against not only the disease but the industry. Just last night I sent a friend who used to work for Bristol Myers Squibb a text about some commercial of theirs I happened to catch while doing some relatively rare TV viewing while in a hotel for doing some volunteering of less dubious treatments. God bless you, and everyone for that matter. And long live Sabbath!

(The best workout of my life came to their greatest hits album, although I wasnt able to replicated it for whatever reason).

PS I enjoy the occasional off topic thread in the main forum. They make the board more enjoyable(like out Better Call Saul discussion that one time when someone flipped out about spoilers about 10 posts into the discussion lol), and if anyone deserves some OT action on here, it's you! May you rock(and write!) for many, many more years.

Thanks CaptainJ. What do you mean by "one band we can consider their peers?" You mean in the hard rock genre? Or level of greatness?

I go:

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Vol.4
Black Sabbath
Sabotage
Master of Reality
Paranoid
Technical Ecstasy
Never Say Die!

I love the last two. Love them so it's tough for me to rank them there. I listen to them more than Paranoid, which is classic but overplayed. The production sucked on TE and NSD but a lot of great songs.
Solid Iommi, very solid indeed!

Thanks CaptainJ. What do you mean by "one band we can consider their peers?" You mean in the hard rock genre? Or level of greatness?

I meant anything...anything since that ERA. Have we seen anything to capture the magic of those bands I listed? I mean they were kind of before my time, and yet I still pay homage because I havent sensed any magic that was anywhere as close to as timeless. Sure some lasts for a time. I mean many of us will remember that silly Macarena song/dance, but who has brought lasting magic, especially in hard rock...but even in general, that can be considered on the same level?

I'm just asking openly and honestly, because if there is magic I'm not aware of(be it in music or otherwise), I seek to find it. Actually, you just helped remind me to do something(take this vinpocetine supplement that is supposed to be a better "ginko biloba").

I also just listened to Laguna Sunrise, per your inspiration, and would have had no idea it was Sabbath! I'm about to leave my seat for a brief second(man, I may evoke images of that meme with the dude who was a bit portly, had a bown cut, and pimples lol) and return and listen to it again. I found it very relaxing, not what I exactly relate to Sabbath, but I dont claim to be very versed. Thanks for the recommendation!