Sad to report ... | Syracusefan.com

Sad to report ...

ar inj

2nd String
Rick Dean died suddenly yesterday morning. He was the center on the B'ball team in 66 and 67 and a teammate of Boeheim and Bing. He had an amazing life--athelete, army, Vietnam, FBI agent, teacher, school principal, and Methodist minister. He was a great guy.

Rick Dean died suddenly yesterday morning. He was the center on the B'ball team in 66 and 67 and a teammate of Boeheim and Bing. He had an amazing life--athelete, army, Vietnam, FBI agent, teacher, school principal, and Methodist minister. He was a great guy.

He was one of the really excellent centers to wear orange. I remember back in the late 60's that there were rumors he had died in 'nam. Next thing we heard was he g-man. RIP.

Wow, that is too bad. One of my early childhood SU favorites. R.I.P. Rick.

Very sad.

This crossed my mind, I wonder if Bernie Fine will go to the services. If so him and JB will probably cross paths, love to be a fly on the wall.

He was the center when I first started follwoing SU basketball. A real warrior who was also a talented player. He was 6-6 240 and hsi battled in the paint with Cornell's Walt Esdaile who was 6-5, 250 were classic. I remember Rick scoring over Esdaile at the buzzer to beat the Big Red 66-65 on 1/10/67. RIP, indeed.

All American in many ways. Watched him play many times. RIP.

He was the center when I first started follwoing SU basketball. A real warrior who was also a talented player. He was 6-6 240 and hsi battled in the paint with Cornell's Walt Esdaile who was 6-5, 250 were classic. I remember Rick scoring over Esdaile at the buzzer to beat the Big Red 66-65 on 1/10/67. RIP, indeed.
I had forgotten about Esdaile, but now that you mention it. We certainly were nowhere near the success now achieved, but with Bing & Boeheim, followed by Dean, Hicker, et al, those were some very enjoyable years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom