San Diego St. thoughts | Syracusefan.com

San Diego St. thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
For people like me who are big fans of the strategy of it all, this game wasn't very much fun. It played out in accelerated speed, and five minutes into the game I had the sense it was over.

Here is how it went down.

San Diego St. couldn't hit an outside shot - Realized they couldn't score inside against our zone - Tried desperately to force transition opportunities where there were none - Ended up giving SU transition opportunities with bad turnovers trying to make something out of nothing - Finally getting frustrated and choosing to degenerate the game into a "scrappy" "physical" but really just dirty affair that they were never going to win because they were already too far down and they were not athletic enough to win anyway.

All this happened in five minutes. It was over after that.

I had a slight interest in what would happen when the teams switched sides at half time. San Diego St. was so bad from the line I wondered if the wind or sun was so horribly bad on that side that the second half would look like the exact opposite of the first with San Diego holding Syracuse to almost no points. In less than five minutes I found that was not the case, and the game got boring as I waited for Syracuse to finish with a win and hoped San Diego St. would not hurt anybody with their dirty play.

Have you noticed that Boeheim never makes any calls that take Syracuse out of games? The guy hasn't been out coached in decades. More often than not, good coaches aren't. Its a phrase that fans throw around too much. Styles might not match up well, there might be personnel mismatches, but good coaches rarely make in game moves that hurt their team (with the two big exceptions being Izzo and Calapari).

This game was no exception. Boeheim knew exactly what to expect, despite the fact he had never coached a game like it. The most telling stat of the game was 3 pointers taken. Syracuse took four. San Diego St. took eighteen. Those of us who have been watching SU long enough to remember what it was like before the three point line had some nostalgia (at least I did) as it seemed like Boeheim dusted off those old playbooks and went with those old strategies.

Back then, basketball was an uglier game, where more often than not both teams forced the ball down low and the bigger stronger team won. Boeheim is no novice at winning those kind of games. From 1976 (his first year as a coach) to 1986-87 (the season they implemented the three point line) Boeheim never had a losing record. In fact he was 230-77 in that time.

Clearly he has not forgotten how to coach in games where outside shooting is an afterthought.

Just a few quick observations. I was very unimpressed with San Diego St. I was expecting them to be far more athletic than they were. They were small but also slow. That said, its not fair to dump on them too much. I'm not sure there is a team in the country that could have beat Syracuse on that ship under those conditions. The zone is an absolute nightmare to play against when shooting from deep is not possible.

I'm not overly surprised that the three freshmen were not big parts of the game plan. Throwing them into action against a ranked veteran team was never going to be a great idea. Grant played about as much as he's going to against good teams. Cooney is a shooter who couldn't shoot, so not much reason to force PT on him. Coleman isn't quite ready yet, and this was the kind of game where Keita thrives - the other team had nobody who could bully him around.

Fair looked fantastic, but then again he always looks fantastic in ugly scrappy games. Remember last year's game at Louisville?

These guys have been on All-Star teams and on AAU teams practically their whole life. They are not used to playing outside. Frankly, I'm just glad nobody got hurt.

Overall it played out almost exactly how you would expect given the wind and sun. Carter-William's and Triche out played a San Diego St. backcourt that was suppose to be their equal or their superior (but they might have looked pretty bad too if they had to go up against their own defense). The freshmen were not used much and Coleman only played center for the time he was out there. Keita thrived against a smaller team. Christmas looked improved from last year. Fair loves scrappy games. Southerland and Cooney didn't force outside shots when it wasn't a good idea to. And most importantly nobody can score against our zone when stretching it with outside shooting is impossible.

Dirty play? Impossible - I read on here that the refs called the game very evenly.

Boeheim and Keita get As for yesterday's performance; love to see our guy outcoach the other guy.

Everything else was a slopfest and I hope our whole group returned healthy.

a veritable dissertation on that "event" that went down yesterday? do you get paid by the word?

That said, its not fair to dump on them too much. I'm not sure there is a team in the country that could have beat Syracuse on that ship under those conditions. The zone is an absolute nightmare to play against when shooting from deep is not possible.

Yeah, I think one major advantage of playing the zone in general is that teams tend to get better offensively as the year goes along and tend to be much more comfortable playing vs. man-to-man, at least early. While this sometimes leads to unfair expectations for Cuse teams, it does give us the benefit of giving most teams fits early in the year. I always think of the success we've had in preseason tourneys.

And yeah, I think the group's intelligence, even though there were a bunch of turnovers, was the key to that game. It's one thing to say "get to the basket" and another thing to actually turn down open jumpers and work to get the ball in the paint. Nice to see.

Lots of interesting facets to that game, though, sure, the conditions were challenging.
Lead, once established, didn't fall -- also we didn't pull away. SDSU played us even in the second half and they were hurt more by the conditions. Lots of miscues by our guards.
Scoring for SU will come from BT, MCW and Fair -- maybe Southerland does more in normal conditions. Our bigs are OK defensively -- very good in blocking shots. Christmas is improved, but still does not have an offensive game 5 ft away from the basket.
Keita won't be losing minutes.
Talk of one and done or two and done needs to be put on hold.

Man, having Keita as a back up is huge. We had years where are starting center wasn't as good as him.

Man, having Keita as a back up is huge. We had years where are starting center wasn't as good as him.

Surely, you aren't referring to the great Billy Celuck!

We didn't shoot but 4 3's because Boeheim probably told the entire team not to shoot from the outside with the wind. One thing I have noticed over the years is that Boeheim tells kids to do things and they do them. Some other coaches try to communicate things and they don't get through. Boeheim's comment to Andrews going into the half was great too. What advice are you going to give your team going into the sun and wind? Get close to the rim before they shoot. Classic!

Nice recap. I actually thought their basic M2M was solid. We often weren't able to get around their guys. They obviously couldn't keep up with our long gazelles in the open court. I liked how they competed inside. I thought they were pretty solid and am happy we didn't play them in a gym where we would truly need to execute and run some good sets to beat them.

I largely agree with your take, except that I think SDSU is much better than they showed. I am sure that they would like to get another crack at the Orange, inside a gym, and I am certain they would present a much different challenge. I hope the selection committee does not grant them their wish next March

I largely agree with your take, except that I think SDSU is much better than they showed. I am sure that they would like to get another crack at the Orange, inside a gym, and I am certain they would present a much different challenge. I hope the selection committee does not grant them their wish next March

I would be ok with it if they did, as I assume it would be an elite 8 matchup or at worst sweet 16. I think that in indoor conditions we play a different game as do they. I am not willing to say that we wouldn't have competed just as well indoors as we did outdoors. We have an outside 3 point shooting game that may or may not be ready for prime time, but it was clearly not unleashed yesterday. I would like to see what would have happened if conditions had allowed us to throw the Dirty Cooney at 'em.

By the end of the year, I think we look immeasurably different hopefully for the better. The last couple of years our zone has improved greatly over the course of the season, factoring out the effect of injuries and we have two key players that are extremely young and inexperienced in MCW and DCII.

So, I say give them their due, SDSU is a good team, but I'd play them again later in the season.... I think we'll still come out ahead. Besides whether we play now or at the end of the season they still have Steve Fisher on their bench and we still have JB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom