Saturday Announcers: Shulman, Dickie V | Syracusefan.com

Saturday Announcers: Shulman, Dickie V

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
Dickie V is just too hard to take anymore. Talks about everything but the game being played. Mute button please.

he will spend half the telecast hyping up next week's Dook/UNC game...the other half will be spent talking about Calhoun

Dickie V gets a bad rap. Yes his schtick has grown old but the guy is almost 75 and he is a true ambassador for college hoops. His constant pursuit for a cure for cancer is remarkable and I give him credit for the effort he puts in.

Having attended a couple Jimmy V events where he spoke, I can tell you he is a very passionate and powerful speaker, who obviously cares about the causes he supports. As Marsh says, he is a true ambassador for college hoops.

I always feel the obligation to defend him as my wife and I met he and his wife in a restaurant in South Beach about six years ago. We ended up spending almost 30 minutes talking about everything from Syracuse basketball to Celine Dion (his topic, not mine). A week later he sent me all kinds of stuff in the mail including a personalized autographed copy of his book. That being said, he has been a true Hall of Famer and champion of college basketball and Cancer fundraising. You cannot argue those facts.

However, his schtick does get old on TV sometimes, but he does love Boeheim and I am sure he will have lots of great things to say about both coaches tonight.

Dickie V gets a bad rap. Yes his schtick has grown old but the guy is almost 75 and he is a true ambassador for college hoops. His constant pursuit for a cure for cancer is remarkable and I give him credit for the effort he puts in.

Marsh, I gotta agree with you here. I understand why people don't like him, but Dickie V is a wonderful ambassador to the game. He just loves the game and he uses his status to try to do good. Class act if you ask me.

The other night, while doing the Duke-FSU game, Dickie V suggested that just being Duke means you get your opponent's best effort every single night.

Said the "name on the front of the jersey" got teams to play harder and as a result, Duke never gets an opponent that gives less than everything.

Dan Schulman was quick to point out this was also the case for North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas and Syracuse.

If we don't get The Three Wise Men (Bilas, McDonough, Raf) doing the game, gimme Vitale. Love that guy and his passion for the sport and life.

Marsh, I gotta agree with you here. I understand why people don't like him, but Dickie V is a wonderful ambassador to the game. He just loves the game and he uses his status to try to do good. Class act if you ask me.

I also agree with you and Marsh (and others). As annoying as he may be at times, he is supremely dedicated to the sport and all student-athletes. He has invested an incredible amount of time, money and energy to promote college basketball as well as for charitable causes and medical research foundations. But I must admit, the volume button comes in handy once in a while.

I love everything about Dickie who lives a short distance form me (he was here first of course). I have also met him several times at the Broken Egg, his favorite breakfast hangout. He is always ready to talk BB and give autographs and couldn't be more outgoing and friendly. He absolutely loves JB and SU. Actually all things college basketball, but SU is one of his favorites for sure.

But please stop calling the game (and not always sure what game he happens to be discussing as the one in front of him often is neglected)... it hurts to see him having deteriorated to his current abilities and constant Duke/NC diatribes. He would now be perfect to just get spot shots working the crowd and being the "Glamour" sideline reporter.

All that said he is surely deserving of the "Hall of Fame" and couldn't be a more genuine man. God bless you Dickie V!!

The other night, while doing the Duke-FSU game, Dickie V suggested that just being Duke means you get your opponent's best effort every single night.

Said the "name on the front of the jersey" got teams to play harder and as a result, Duke never gets an opponent that gives less than everything.

Schulman was quick to point out this was also the case for North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas and Syracuse.

I didn't watch the game so thank you for sharing this. It's always nice to hear when the Orange is rightfully included in the otherwise exclusive, blue and white parties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom