Saw a bunch of pick and roll w/ Keita tonight | Syracusefan.com

Saw a bunch of pick and roll w/ Keita tonight

Makes no sense, but then again, there aren't exactly many better options.

Makes no sense, but then again, there aren't exactly many better options.

Keita was 0-0 from the field and 1-2 from the line. if you are a defender, why would you guard a rolling Keita? Why?

Literally any option is better.

I don't think I've ever seen a more limited offensive player than Kieta. He makes Billy Celuck look like Joel Embiid. When we have the offensive struggles we do he shouldn't be seeing 5 minutes a game. No matter what defense we play we're not going to win games with this offense. I'm one of the biggest supporters of the zone that I've ever met but out offense is so putrid (and out defense had been slightly above average at best) it almost seems smart to slip out of the zone every once in awhile and have the best possible offensive lineup on the court when we can. When Grant comes back I'm at the point that he plays the 5 splitting time with Rak and move BMK to the bench for good, he hasn't added much to the squad since last years tournament and before that he wasn't good either.

I don't think I've ever seen a more limited offensive player than Kieta. He makes Billy Celuck look like Joel Embiid. When we have the offensive struggles we do he shouldn't be seeing 5 minutes a game. No matter what defense we play we're not going to win games with this offense. I'm one of the biggest supporters of the zone that I've ever met but out offense is so putrid (and out defense had been slightly above average at best) it almost seems smart to slip out of the zone every once in awhile and have the best possible offensive lineup on the court when we can. When Grant comes back I'm at the point that he plays the 5 splitting time with Rak and move BMK to the bench for good, he hasn't added much to the squad since last years tournament and before that he wasn't good either.
LOL!!!!

Keita didnt even look like a D-2 player last night. Bizarro bad performance. Hes been bad before but last night was just mind blowingly awful. Strange thing is, he played awesome 2 games ago, but the last 2...just wow.

Boeheim's a great coach but he's made an absolute mess of the center position. Center should have been Rak's after Melo was deemed academically ineligible and Rak stepped up in March.

I understand Keita had a few games and is a motivational and defensive leader, but he's regressing.

Rak's put more effort in that most of the board members would like to admit, every time he gets on a roll it seems like he makes 1 mistake and Boeheim gives him the cane.

I'm tired of it.

everytime somebody throws a pass to Keita all I can think of is Robert Loggia in that Unnecessary Roughness movie yelling "Don't throw it to stone hands!"

The thing is, Keita does not dominate on the defensive end either... I understand he's vocal and understands it, but he fouls a ton and nobody is intimidated by his shot blocking. In fact he's not a good defensive rebounder... so...

The thing is, Keita does not dominate on the defensive end either... I understand he's vocal and understands it, but he fouls a ton and nobody is intimidated by his shot blocking. In fact he's not a good defensive rebounder... so...

Eh, with certain players the more they struggle on offense the more the legend of their defensive prowess grows. It's a rationalization.

Last edited:
No idea why we aren't running screen and roll with CJ or Jerami. Opposing teams literally DO NOT GUARD Keita. He can be standing under the basket by himself and nobody cares.

shandeezy7 said:
No idea why we aren't running screen and roll with CJ or Jerami. Opposing teams literally DO NOT GUARD Keita. He can be standing under the basket by himself and nobody cares.

Yes, Grant should be the screener. I've been preaching this all year.

In fairness, we have run some ball screens with Grant with varying degrees of success. Unfortunately, it's difficult for Grant to set the ball screen when he is stylin' and profilin' on the bench.

I'm not sure why we don't run more planned ball screens with CJ. His ability to pick-and-pop should be the perfect antidote for the hard-hedging/trapping that opponents use to stop Ennis from turning the corner off the screen. Ennis would just have to use a reverse dribble to get a little space to pass to Fair around the trap, which should put the defense in a bind as they scramble to recover. Fair should be able to catch and shoot, fake and drive if a help defender rotates to closeout on him, or reverse the ball to an open teammate (ideally Cooney if we set up properly) if the help rotates to him.

Either way, it's true that BMK is not an ideal screener for ball screens.

Unfortunately, Roberson is clueless on how to set a pick, and honestly, Grant, though he should be the ideal person to do so, is not that great at setting a pick either. Kieta sets a good pick, his only problem is that he 1) can't catch the ball when it is thrown to him, and 2) Can't score. Otherwise, he is the perfect player for the job. ;)

Boeheim's a great coach but he's made an absolute mess of the center position. Center should have been Rak's after Melo was deemed academically ineligible and Rak stepped up in March..

Did Boeheim do this, or did the lack of Bernie Fine do this? Who is waiving the broomsticks these days?

It seems we don't often talk about the negative impact of losing Fine.

Did Boeheim do this, or did the lack of Bernie Fine do this? Who is waiving the broomsticks these days?

It seems we don't often talk about the negative impact of losing Fine.
It certainly has impacted it but, in my opinion, Boeheim has not given Rak a chance to settle in and feel trusted for over 2 years. I think if given the chance Rak could be an 8 to 10 ppg scorer who could average near 8 rebounds and 2 or 3 blocks a game. The guys athletic, JB just keeps shooting him down though.

Unfortunately, Roberson is clueless on how to set a pick, and honestly, Grant, though he should be the ideal person to do so, is not that great at setting a pick either. Kieta sets a good pick, his only problem is that he 1) can't catch the ball when it is thrown to him, and 2) Can't score. Otherwise, he is the perfect player for the job. ;)

..when he doesn't get called for an offensive foul.

everytime somebody throws a pass to Keita all I can think of is Robert Loggia in that Unnecessary Roughness movie yelling "Don't throw it to stone hands!"
Extremely enjoyable and underrated movie. although it's titled Necessary Roughness.

On the other hand the defense will have to honor the roll and if he does happen to catch the ball he could dunk it or get two free throws out of it. Think positive thoughts...That is all!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom