Saw Battle play last night | Syracusefan.com

Saw Battle play last night

subarney

Walk On
Battle plays for St. Joe's of Metuchen, NJ. Strong sports school that has produced several NBA players over the years. Battle's teammate will play for Ole Miss next year (Tyree). First thing that jumped out with me is his size. Has a similar build to Gbinije. 6'7 probably 200 /210 pounds. Battle didn't bring the ball up much, pretty much played the wing. Started out game hitting a 3. I don't think he has a very smooth shot (like Richardson) but I'm no expert. Liked his defense. Quick hands and moves well. Gets his body in position allot. Offensivelly I'm not sure he is true point guard. Though he did pass the ball fairly well. Has some jump to him. He finished with 17, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals. As cuse guy said, we need finishers at the point. Not sure Battle is that but a solid player in the mode of Gbinije...

Not worried about finishers I think Howard may be the best finisher on this current team right now, just needs to get up to the speed of the game you can tell hes a small step behind.

I really really really am looking forward to next year so much. Alot of proven talent, and the ability to take second third options and move them to 4th on off nights.

He's a combo guard with size. I think we'll see a lot of that at PG for us going forward.

I don't expect a ton from him right away on the offensive end of the court. I think his incredible value is going to come on the defensive end. We might have the longest zone in Syracuse history next year.

Brooky03 said:
He's a combo guard with size. I think we'll see a lot of that at PG for us going forward. I don't expect a ton from him right away on the offensive end of the court. I think his incredible value is going to come on the defensive end. We might have the longest zone in Syracuse history next year.

If Battle starts and doesn't provide much offense, the onus is going to fall on Malachi and Lydon because Roberson and Chukwu won't score a lot.

He's a combo guard with size. I think we'll see a lot of that at PG for us going forward.

I don't expect a ton from him right away on the offensive end of the court. I think his incredible value is going to come on the defensive end. We might have the longest zone in Syracuse history next year.
I disagree with this. Battle will be that rare frosh who will be effective on offense from day one.

The guy can score. And pass. And rebound. And dribble. And defend. Etc.

I disagree with this. Battle will be that rare frosh who will be effective on offense from day one.

I agree--if he can stay healthy, this kid is a transcendent talent.

Not sure that he's a point, but he'll provide versatile offense day 1.

Forget about Battle being a pure point guard, we don't necessarily need that for next year. The template for next year's team will be the Dion Waiters/Fab Melo team. That team was arguably the best defensive team in the country and the best in transition in the country.

One of the big reasons they were the best defensive team was that they had Fab Melo blocking shots. One of the reasons they were the best in transition is that Dion released after every shot, and he could not be stopped 1 on 1 (most times not even 1 on 2).

The hope will be that Chukwu replaces Melo's shot blocking. We need Battle to be Dion Waiters. We need him to be the guy who we get the ball to in open space, and who nobody can stop. If he can do that we might be even better than that Waiters/Melo team, which I think was something like 27-1 with Melo, because that team was weak rebounding and weak in half court. With Roberson and Lyden, next year's team will not be weak on the boards, and assuming Richardson and Lydon progress naturally, they should be good in the half court as well.

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying I don't expect him to play well on the offensive end. Just that I think his defense is going to be the x-factor.

If Battle starts and doesn't provide much offense, the onus is going to fall on Malachi and Lydon because Roberson and Chukwu won't score a lot.

Adding to the post above, I don't doubt his offensive ability, I just don't expect him to be the main, or possibly not even the secondary, scoring threat. I do think, though, that he will run the offense better than most freshman would and he will get other players involved more than G has/will this season.

Brooky03 said:
Adding to the post above, I don't doubt his offensive ability, I just don't expect him to be the main, or possibly not even the secondary, scoring threat. I do think, though, that he will run the offense better than most freshman would and he will get other players involved more than G has/will this season.

I wish they'd let him run the point in high school this year. But doesn't appear that will happen.

I hope you're right. I don't share that expectation, but that would be great.

I hope you're right. I don't share that expectation, but that would be great.
Considering his resume and hype the expectations will be high regardless.

Malachi Richardson returning is key. If I had to pick between him and Gbinije next year I would oddly enough say Malachi is more important.

negative view-Without him who will be the one on one scorer?
I don't want to see Battle forced into the isolation scoring role from day one, unless we know hes ready for it.

positive view- Malachi returns, we could have two isolation scorers something we haven't had in recent years.
The team would be much more fun to watch having two as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom