Saw Boeheim In Midtown Manhattan Wednesday | Syracusefan.com

Saw Boeheim In Midtown Manhattan Wednesday

bryanradams

Walk On
On Wed, around 5pm or so, I was walking east on 52nd Street trying to get to a meeting and I look up and see Coach. I wish I would have stopped him in the street and talked to him a bit. I only said, "Hey there, Coach!" And he said hello. I guess if it was Erich Santifer or Lawrence Moten, I would have locked down the block.
Does anyone know why Boeheim was in NYC on Wednesday?

On Wed, around 5pm or so, I was walking east on 52nd Street trying to get to a meeting and I look up and see Coach. I wish I would have stopped him in the street and talked to him a bit. I only said, "Hey there, Coach!" And he said hello. I guess if it was Erich Santifer or Lawrence Moten, I would have locked down the block.
Does anyone know why Boeheim was in NYC on Wednesday?

Boeheim is so introverted, you probably handled it the right way.

I've shared this story here before, but my best friend from high school had a painting company he ran in Syracuse in a past life. About 10 years ago, he got hired to do an interior job in Manlius during the summer--and it turns out that it was at Boeheim's house.

Now, my friend isn't a huge sports fan. He's more of a baseball guy, and a casual NFL fan, but not a die hard by any means. He roots for SU, but isn't passionate about it like all of us are or follow it nearly as closely like we do. But he is a very outgoing guy, the type of guy who is a great conversationalist and puts people at ease, you feel like you've known him for years after meeting him for 5 minutes.

So he gets to Boeheim's house and is setting up. Juli and Jim show him what they want done. While he begins working, JB is kind of milling about, leaving the room and coming back intermittently. JB asks if it is bothering my friend having him look over his shoulder, and my friend says "not at all." So Boeheim proceeds to sit down, and they end up chatting for several hours.

And the funny thing is: basketball doesn't come up at all. My friend is probably the one guy in CNY who wouldn't want to talk JB's ear off about hoops, or find out the skinny on some recruit.

There's no doubt in my mind that if he'd done that, JB wouldn't have stuck around--and certainly wouldn't have wanted to talk hoops with some random guy who obviously doesn't know as much about basketball as JB himself does. Instead, they had a pleasant, casual conversation. His take afterwards to me was that he couldn't see why JB gets so much criticism for being abrasive--that he was perfectly friendly. But again, it was probably all a function of my friend not looking to chat him up about hoops.

It also wasn't a post-game press conference.

He's a perfectly nice guy on his weekly in-season radio show - unless somebody says something stupid or obnoxious, which rarely happens.

Boeheim is so introverted, you probably handled it the right way.

I've shared this story here before, but my best friend from high school had a painting company he ran in Syracuse in a past life. About 10 years ago, he got hired to do an interior job in Manlius during the summer--and it turns out that it was at Boeheim's house.

Now, my friend isn't a huge sports fan. He's more of a baseball guy, and a casual NFL fan, but not a die hard by any means. He roots for SU, but isn't passionate about it like all of us are or follow it nearly as closely like we do. But he is a very outgoing guy, the type of guy who is a great conversationalist and puts people at ease, you feel like you've known him for years after meeting him for 5 minutes.

So he gets to Boeheim's house and is setting up. Juli and Jim show him what they want done. While he begins working, JB is kind of milling about, leaving the room and coming back intermittently. JB asks if it is bothering my friend having him look over his shoulder, and my friend says "not at all." So Boeheim proceeds to sit down, and they end up chatting for several hours.

And the funny thing is: basketball doesn't come up at all. My friend is probably the one guy in CNY who wouldn't want to talk JB's ear off about hoops, or find out the skinny on some recruit.

There's no doubt in my mind that if he'd done that, JB wouldn't have stuck around--and certainly wouldn't have wanted to talk hoops with some random guy who obviously doesn't know as much about basketball as JB himself does. Instead, they had a pleasant, casual conversation. His take afterwards to me was that he couldn't see why JB gets so much criticism for being abrasive--that he was perfectly friendly. But again, it was probably all a function of my friend not looking to chat him up about hoops.

and when the job was done and your friend was about to leave he turns to jb and says "by the way coach, why dont you play more man?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom