Class of 2014 - Scholarships Available? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Scholarships Available?

Louie and Bouie

Starter
Love all the excitement for the class and with 2 big visitor weekends and NSD around the corner its a great time to follow recruiting. My question is seemingly simple yet the answer doesn't seem readily available. How many scholarships do we have to hand out for 2014? The most credible number i have seen is 21 to bring us to 85. Currently, we have 16 commits (if WW is on the roster) which only leaves room for 5 unless there are non-qualifiers which would then bring the total available up one per non-qualifier. The only current commit that had been openly questionable as far as qualifying was Erv Phillips so what gives in this situation.

Thanks in advance for any information.

i don't know but i can't see us saying no to:

Ishmael
Edoicy
Watson
Prater
Thomas
Rodney
Ward

Love all the excitement for the class and with 2 big visitor weekends and NSD around the corner its a great time to follow recruiting. My question is seemingly simple yet the answer doesn't seem readily available. How many scholarships do we have to hand out for 2014? The most credible number i have seen is 21 to bring us to 85. Currently, we have 16 commits (if WW is on the roster) which only leaves room for 5 unless there are non-qualifiers which would then bring the total available up one per non-qualifier. The only current commit that had been openly questionable as far as qualifying was Erv Phillips so what gives in this situation.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Gotta be more then 5 available, right?

That's what i'm wondering Whitey. Obviously the staff has a piece of info. none of us have and that is who will qualify and who won't. That certainly allows for a higher number of commits than available schollies although its more ceremonial as all non-qualifiers can go somewhere else after a year of prep anyway.

I am just hearing so many different names right now (definitely a positive as most are quality guys) that i want to know more about how many we can actually take. I also think its important to know the number as guys that sign elsewhere may not have been extended a final seat at the table which definitely changes the game so far as Cuse football is concerned. Real nice if we're doing the selecting at the end.

If we overbook, we can always have someone "grayshirt" and delay his enrollment until January 2015. Or someone ends up at Milford.

The numbers always work themselves out.

I thought we worked it out before that the number was around 23.

I thought we worked it out before that the number was around 23.

I've got 64 players returning:

Broyld, Morgan, Funderburk, Eskridge, Kimble
Reddish, Wilson, Arciniega, Desir, Vigille
Hunt, Kirkland, Norton, Winfield, Thompson
Scissum, Hale, Kelly, Estime, Whigham
Flemming, PTG, George, Kobena, Morris,
DMF, Hodge, AAM, Davis, Krautman,
Lynch, Fisher, Rodgers, Perry, Simmons
Crume, Trudo, Coleman, Miller, Palmer
Hickey, McGloster, Lasker, Robinson, Hayes
Foy, Burton, Knapp, Emerich, Provo
Cornelius, Avant, Lewis, Batten, Moore
West, Parris, Johnson, Dixon, Robinson
Welsh, Raymond, Trejo, Sloan.

Unless there's some last minute changes, we've got room for only 21 newbies.

Say a high schooler is on the fence for qualifying.
At what point in the year does that player's opportunity to retake the SAT (or ACT?) run out?

It seems like that deadline has passed and coaches have a good idea which kids are going to qualify and which ones are going to need to go to Milford or wherever.

Yeah 5 is way too small a number considering the number of visitors. I'm sure there are some prep placements in this group that won't qualify but even so, there are still way too many visitors for there not to be more offseason movement on that list above.

Also, looking at the positions visiting - Ishmael WR, Watson LB, Prater S, Enoicy TE, Rodney DT, Ward OT, Dowels CB, Thomas LB, it's all over the place. Usually if you're limited to a set limit, you see multiple guys at the same position and that's about it.

Yeah 5 is way too small a number considering the number of visitors. I'm sure there are some prep placements in this group that won't qualify but even so, there are still way too many visitors for there not to be more offseason movement on that list above.

I'm sure there will be a few surprises when practice opens in March. There always are.

On the bright side, Marrone used to say that recruiting was finished in October when we all knew he still had scholarships available. :noidea:

Looking at the list of visitors there might be 3-4 that might not qualify and need a semester at prep...Zeek, Thomas, Erv, and Dowels. There have been questions on all four concerning academics.

Thanks Orange. That's what i was looking for. So it looks like we're entertaining/hosting a few non-qualifiers to build toward next season's class. I like the ploy. It worked with Cooper. Get them in early show the love and you got the inside track for 2015.

Unfortunately you have to think that these guys will reopen their recruitments if they need more time. Seems like they were aiming higher and we are some of the last schools standing

Unfortunately you have to think that these guys will reopen their recruitments if they need more time. Seems like they were aiming higher and we are some of the last schools standing
Also a good reason not to fill all of your schollies early in the cycle as there seems to be a lot of late movement based upon the selector schools choices and also with post-season coaching changes that free up prime talent late and alot of them are looking for a life raft. Enter Syracuse.

Louie and Bouie said:
Also a good reason not to fill all of your schollies early in the cycle as there seems to be a lot of late movement based upon the selector schools choices and also with post-season coaching changes that free up prime talent late and alot of them are looking for a life raft. Enter Syracuse.

That would assume the early kids weren't our first choice or that they are not as good as these late offers...

Looking at the list of visitors there might be 3-4 that might not qualify and need a semester at prep...Zeek, Thomas, Erv, and Dowels. There have been questions on all four concerning academics.

What really concerns me about that is even if we sign Zeek and Erv they may not make it here in 2014. We are going to be scary thin at DT in 2014 and pretty thin at RB. Then in 2015 we are going to be absurdly thin at RB with just Morris and McFarlane as non true frosh and absurdly thin at DT with just Sloan, Big Wayne and Coleman as non true frosh. That assumes no injuries or academic casualties. Going to have to get some Jucos and/or play some true freshman.

As good as we seem to be recruiting and bringing in some quality guys for final visits its a little disconcerting they are not at some major positions of need.

That would assume the early kids weren't our first choice or that they are not as good as these late offers...
not exactly. its getting your early targets to commit and resisting the tendency to scramble when numbers are low by filling with B-listers as some on this board would have had happen just because there available and from the south (i.e. the numerous i would take a flyer on joe recruit with no offers etc.) its practicing patience while building relationships with recruits and knowing the landscape versus panic and attempts at filling the class with to many long shots. this coaching staff gets the game for sure.

Its gonna be a great start to February. Cuse is on the rise.

Not necessarily.