Schwartz strikes again | Syracusefan.com

Schwartz strikes again

hplare

Skilled observer of photographs
Doing an on camera from the Dome for Game Day and obviously can't resist a shot at JB. Fair report until the end when he pointedly mentions that the incident has been deemed an accident with only one question remaining for the police. How fast was JB driving.

With Bilas already being there, having Schwartz there kind of feels like ESPN dispatched him Wednesday night the first time JBs name got mentioned on the scanner and now that it’s obvious that there is no “dirt” to unearth he’s left with nothing to report, but they feel like they have to use him because he’s there.

Feels like we’ve seen this movie before. I hope JB doesn’t give him the time of day.

schwartz needs to be reminded: the only things his bernie fine reporting accomplished were:
  • to out a closeted gay man against his will
  • to cost him his job
  • to break up his marriage
  • to devastate his children
top notch journalism. still can't believe espn let go of guys like andy katz & kept this jackhole on the payroll

Doing an on camera from the Dome for Game Day and obviously can't resist a shot at JB. Fair report until the end when he pointedly mentions that the incident has been deemed an accident with only one question remaining for the police. How fast was JB driving.
what a piece of garbage

th

Schwartz should do his research. DA Fitzpatrick said in his press conference JB was going within the speed limits.

Schwartz should do his research. DA Fitzpatrick said in his press conference JB was going within the speed limits.

Yes he did say that, but he wasn't speaking from facts. The police said they don't know and will be downloading data from his car's computer to determine the speed. So while I am absolutely no fan of MS, what he says is not incorrect. It is possible they could retrieve that data and determine JB was traveling at an unsafe speed.

Yes he did say that, but he wasn't speaking from facts. The police said they don't know and will be downloading data from his car's computer to determine the speed. So while I am absolutely no fan of MS, what he says is not incorrect. It is possible they could retrieve that data and determine JB was traveling at an unsafe speed.

But Schwartz's statement about speed may also prompt the viewers to wrongly conclude that the car's speed may have something to do with the accident and even potentially with the death. He doesn't know that. The police don't know that yet. If he's technically correct in reporting that the police are still investigating the speed of the car, he needs to also follow that up by mentioning that the speed of the car may not have had any role in the lethality of the accident.

What you don't say is often just as important as what you do say as a reporter. That's journalism 101.

But Schwartz's statement about speed may also prompt the viewers to wrongly conclude that the car's speed may have something to do with the accident and even potentially with the death. He doesn't know that. The police don't know that yet. If he's technically correct in reporting that the police are still investigating the speed of the car, he needs to also follow that up by mentioning that the speed of the car may not have had any role in the lethality of the accident.

What you don't say is often just as important as what you do say as a reporter. That's journalism 101.

There was zero reason to bring it up. Other than he’s garbage.

fitzpatrick bothers me. guy seems to lack ethics. not too long ago he threatened to have authorities look into pete davidson from snl because davidson made a disparaging comment about syracuse. davidson seems like a clown but that reeks of corruption. then, stating a party was going the speed limit without the data download seems overly eager. as you mention, that can be determined with certainty, but not immediately. have to download the data first.

fitzpatrick bothers me. guy seems to lack ethics. not too long ago he threatened to have authorities look into pete davidson from snl because davidson made a disparaging comment about syracuse. davidson seems like a clown but that reeks of corruption. then, stating a party was going the speed limit without the data download seems overly eager. as you mention, that can be determined with certainty, but not immediately. have to download the data first.

I watched that press conference and my take was that Fitzpatrick came across too defending of Boeheim. I thought the police reps there were factual and impartial sounding, but Fitzpatrick sounded like he was going to protect a friend no matter what. I don't say any of this because I believe JB did anything wrong, but in no way did I get the sense Fitzpatrick would bring any charges no matter what the evidence revealed from here on out. That isn't much of a confidence booster in general from a position like the DA.

cost him his job
/QUOTE]

Here we go with this again.

Bernie Fine was fired after an audio tape featuring his wife and one of the alleged victims turned up.
Bernie Fine's voice was never heard on the tape.
But Syracuse University decided to fire him.

It's the university that cost him his job by deciding that was enough to fire him after the earlier allegations.
And, despite a lot of talk at the time, Bernie never seriously fought to get his job back.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...the Orange beating Duke today.

Last edited:
schwartz needs to be reminded: the only things his bernie fine reporting accomplished were:
  • to out a closeted gay man against his will
  • to cost him his job
  • to break up his marriage
  • to devastate his children
top notch journalism. still can't believe espn let go of guys like andy katz & kept this jackhole on the payroll
In lessor importance...wasn’t it one of the dominos that led to the whole investigation into the program which got us the recruiting reduction? I thought it was all related.

This is from the appeal upon which Fitzpatrick made his name. He did so by cheating.

Having decided that the withheld evidence does not meet the test of materiality set out in Agurs (supra), we would, nevertheless, be remiss if we did not comment on the prosecutor's failure to divulge this information to defense counsel. Considering the circumstantial nature of the proof, the People's theory regarding the time of death, and the defense theory of a gangland execution, it is inconceivable that the prosecutor would not have perceived this information as a valuable lead for the defense. The prosecutor must always be aware of the obligations arising from the public trust invested in him. His responsibility in a criminal prosecution "is not that [he] shall win a case, but that justice shall be done * * * [H]e is in a peculiar and very definite sense the servant of the law, the twofold aim of which is that guilt shall not escape or innocence suffer" (Berger v United States, 295 US 78, 88). The defense should have been provided with the material in question and its significance should not have been overlooked.

If, as they said, the road was icy, I doubt that JB would be driving at an unsafe speed.
If the roads were icy, unsafe speed becomes questionable and up to interpretation. The speed limit may be considered unsafe on icy roads.