Scientific explanation for what happened to us in the Carrier Dome, Feb. 1, 2014 | Syracusefan.com

Scientific explanation for what happened to us in the Carrier Dome, Feb. 1, 2014

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
Dear friends, last weekend I was perusing an interesting and odd book called The Synchronicity Key. It is a book about Everything (as opposed to Seinfeld's Nothing) and although I was drawn to it because of my interest in consciousness, imagine my delight when I came upon the excerpt below. The author is a geeky scientist and was discussing the idea that thought exists as energetic waves, and he uses as an example his experience at a baseball game. To whit:

This (energetic) system seems to work very well at public gatherings, which have gone on since the dawn of civilization. I was invited to attend a Detroit Tigers baseball game in 2011, while they were in the midst of play-offs that would determine if they would go to the World Series. I was not a sports fan and had no attachment to the outcome when I went to the game. This put me in a unique position, as I soon felt an incredible rush of energy from being in this packed stadium. This appeared as a euphoric state of mind as well as a strong sense of physical excitation. In particular, when the home team's batter got a good, strong hit, and the ball was looking like it might go the distance and become a home run, my mind and body raced into pure ecstasy. Almost every pair of eyes in the stadium was focused directly on that ball as it flew, creating a powerful focal point for the attention of the group. When the ball did make it past the outfield, the crowd leaped to their feet and all the energizing feelings reached an orgasmic peak. Within ten or fifteen minutes, I discovered that I absolutely loved baseball.

I was really quite surprised by this - and with my background in this new science, I realized that what people were calling "team spirit" had a direct energetic component. The overall energy of the crowd gave each person more vitality than he or she brought in on his or her own, and people were willing to pay hundreds of dollars a ticket to participate in it. This same system seems to explain why teams seem to do better at home games. When the crowd is right there, hoping for their team to succeed, they are beaming a much stronger rush of biophotons into the players than the players receive at an opponent's venue. The minds of the players then become sharper and more alert, and their bodies become stronger, more energized, and capable of much greater endurance.

And Jim Boeheim begins his autobiography with that night.

Dear friends, last weekend I was perusing an interesting and odd book called The Synchronicity Key. It is a book about Everything (as opposed to Seinfeld's Nothing) and although I was drawn to it because of my interest in consciousness, imagine my delight when I came upon the excerpt below. The author is a geeky scientist and was discussing the idea that thought exists as energetic waves, and he uses as an example his experience at a baseball game. To whit:

This (energetic) system seems to work very well at public gatherings, which have gone on since the dawn of civilization. I was invited to attend a Detroit Tigers baseball game in 2011, while they were in the midst of play-offs that would determine if they would go to the World Series. I was not a sports fan and had no attachment to the outcome when I went to the game. This put me in a unique position, as I soon felt an incredible rush of energy from being in this packed stadium. This appeared as a euphoric state of mind as well as a strong sense of physical excitation. In particular, when the home team's batter got a good, strong hit, and the ball was looking like it might go the distance and become a home run, my mind and body raced into pure ecstasy. Almost every pair of eyes in the stadium was focused directly on that ball as it flew, creating a powerful focal point for the attention of the group. When the ball did make it past the outfield, the crowd leaped to their feet and all the energizing feelings reached an orgasmic peak. Within ten or fifteen minutes, I discovered that I absolutely loved baseball.

I was really quite surprised by this - and with my background in this new science, I realized that what people were calling "team spirit" had a direct energetic component. The overall energy of the crowd gave each person more vitality than he or she brought in on his or her own, and people were willing to pay hundreds of dollars a ticket to participate in it. This same system seems to explain why teams seem to do better at home games. When the crowd is right there, hoping for their team to succeed, they are beaming a much stronger rush of biophotons into the players than the players receive at an opponent's venue. The minds of the players then become sharper and more alert, and their bodies become stronger, more energized, and capable of much greater endurance.

And Jim Boeheim begins his autobiography with that night.

Very interesting stuff that the media doesn't seem to like to talk about. Orangeyes saw one of my posts about synchronicity, and rather than banning or shunning it, actually PMed me and shared some of his experiences with it, things apparently beyond reasonable probability. I miss that guy, and think he brought his own energy to the board that brought out the best in many of us.

My familys religious background is bible believing Christians (energetic worship and the like) and although I am not religious in that way I do believe in the power of belief and I noticed that often times concerts and sporting events have the same underlying energy feeling as the rowdier church worship sessions that I sat through as a young man (the stained glass was also very nice to look at after catching a buzz). The feeling is amplified tenfold at larger events and obviously certain stimulants and depressants can make you much more open to it. There is undoubtedly some real boost in energy that can be felt by the group and has always been a basic component of the human experience.

My familys religious background is bible believing Christians (energetic worship and the like) and although I am not religious in that way I do believe in the power of belief and I noticed that often times concerts and sporting events have the same underlying energy feeling as the rowdier church worship sessions that I sat through as a young man (the stained glass was also very nice to look at after catching a buzz). The feeling is amplified tenfold at larger events and obviously certain stimulants and depressants can make you much more open to it. There is undoubtedly some real boost in energy that can be felt by the group and has always been a basic component of the human experience.

People recognize this experience because we've all had it in so many ways; at a Christmas eve service, on top of a mountain, under the sea, and most certainly at a basketball game! It is beyond language, really. If losing a basketball game takes me out of that vibration, I try to get back in as quickly as possible. After all, that's what the players try to do.

That description is basically every Duke homegame.

I didn't get a chance to go to Duke @ Cuse, but did drive 2 hours north for Cuse @ Duke. My first time attending a game at Cameron. It was pretty crazy.

Oh and I just went back and looked at that game's box score...syracuse shot 57%, damn.