Scoop would solve everything! | Syracusefan.com

Scoop would solve everything!

BostonOrange

2nd String
Guy made every big shot. Flawless decision making. Best leader since Abraham Lincoln. Oh wait...last season he averaged 4.5 pts a game on 8-34 shooting against ranked opponents? And turned it over 4 times a game? Hmmm.

What Scoop did last year was step up big in the tourney. Played lights out. But...I think there is a lot of revisionist history going on about him...the reality is he was really not that different from Triche...capable of playing really well, and capable of playing very badly.

Guy made every big shot. Flawless decision making. Best leader since Abraham Lincoln. Oh wait...last season he averaged 4.5 pts a game on 8-34 shooting against ranked opponents? And turned it over 4 times a game? Hmmm.

What Scoop did last year was step up big in the tourney. Played lights out. But...I think there is a lot of revisionist history going on about him...the reality is he was really not that different from Triche...capable of playing really well, and capable of playing very badly.

Scoop had his inconsistancies but what his presence did on that team is tenfold what Triche brings when his game is off. Scoop led that group whether on the court with them or from the bench. Leadership is often full of intangibles that statistics can't measure. The other thing is that scoop understood when to attack much better than MCW/Triche currently do. He waited to see what to do before he did it vs knowing the moment the possession started. If triche and MCW had that mindset we would turn it over less. A lot of our turnovers this year in the backcourt have been unforced by the defense.

I honestly think that the biggest difference is that there is not a capable third guard on this team that JB can turn to if MCW or Triche are stinking it up. Having a guard off the bench who could either drive or fill it up from the outside would probably do wonders to take the pressure off of two guys who simply are not good shooters. They are a bad complement to each other, and their relief is just not ready.

I honestly think that the biggest difference is that there is not a capable third guard on this team that JB can turn to if MCW or Triche are stinking it up. Having a guard off the bench who could either drive or fill it up from the outside would probably do wonders to take the pressure off of two guys who simply are not good shooters. They are a bad complement to each other, and their relief is just not ready.
I think you are exactly right. Last year when Scoop or BT was having a bad night JB would put in an NBA lottery pick. This year he could put in Cooney

Dion was the ultimate weapon last year off the bench. Arguably he was the best guard in the country.. so far in the rookie season of the NBA it appears Lillard might have been that guy with Dion 2nd. I think Dion is better than Beal. Given his talent level - I think we all hoped MCW would be so good that he could be our Dion this year as a starter. Instead he is closer to being a scoop productivity wise and like Mason is saying - all we have is Cooney.

Dion was the ultimate weapon last year off the bench. Arguably he was the best guard in the country.. so far in the rookie season of the NBA it appears Lillard might have been that guy with Dion 2nd. I think Dion is better than Beal. Given his talent level - I think we all hoped MCW would be so good that he could be our Dion this year as a starter. Instead he is closer to being a scoop productivity wise and like Mason is saying - all we have is Cooney.

I think MCW would look a lot better if his backcourt counterpart was a more capable player. Triche was fine as a 4th option player for 3 years but he just is not talented enough to be the go-to guy. Mike's shooting has been abysmal as well but when he's focusing more on distributing he can be very productive at times. MCW and BT just make a bad combination together and there is no real alternative. This team also has no one other than CJ who can step up and play well against high major competition. It has a bunch of frontrunners who dominate the Providences of the world. That shows a lack of leadership and toughness.

Agree Dion was a beast but he wasn't athe most amazing college guard last year. He had some awfull games to go with his good ones. Once fab went out for 3 straight games he was awfull. Triche, KJO and Scoop alone won the wvu and cincy games. Rautins senior season and Devendorfs jr. seasons they were more consistant. I think they would be better for this particular team who needs some offensive killer instinct and upperclass leadership without a night off.

Wrote this in another post. Mike is a 6'5 1/2 pg who shot the ball really well in high school. How a passer with his capability can't get a jabstep with a mookiesque jumpshot release to draw more double teams closer to him is tough to swallow.

He is playing alot of pass it around the perimeter ball from way out, when he should be drawing doubles left and right. imo,We really could use him to step up and go on a scoring tear. He really needs to recieve the ball right at or inside the three point line before he dribbles. He starts some of his drives way further out then he needs to thats all about where you recieve the ball.

Brandon all I ask is he continues to drive. If he has 5-6 turnovers I don't care just drive.

I think MCW would look a lot better if his backcourt counterpart was a more capable player. Triche was fine as a 4th option player for 3 years but he just is not talented enough to be the go-to guy. Mike's shooting has been abysmal as well but when he's focusing more on distributing he can be very productive at times. MCW and BT just make a bad combination together and there is no real alternative. This team also has no one other than CJ who can step up and play well against high major competition. It has a bunch of frontrunners who dominate the Providences of the world. That shows a lack of leadership and toughness.

Great point..

This is exactly why what won't happen ( MCW returning) would be really interesting with having so many different backcourt options with the new guys coming in. Yes they will be frosh but there is no telling what MCW could do with a better counterpart. Also - the flashes we saw last year were with Scoop or Dion out there alongside MCW. I have noticed in some of MCW's better games - when Triche also played well - there have been instances where MCW could play off the ball for a few possessions. When it worked it was a pleasure to watch. When MCW had the chance to step into a few shots they looked pure. This year most of the time you see Brandon, Cooney, James etc get themselves stuck and giving the ball back to MCW with 12-13 seconds on the shot clock and nobody open.

I don't think anyone is saying Scoop was Gods gift to point guards but he led and was respected on the court and yeah he had stupid turnovers usually when he may have seemed to overestimate his own gifts but never saw him literally hand the ball to the opposing team and I mean hand them the ball like I have MCW do this year :bat:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom