Screening the Top of the Zone | Syracusefan.com

Screening the Top of the Zone

shandeezy7

Living Legend
For the life of me I can't figure out why our guards at the top of the zone did not adjust to the screens being set on them. For about the last 10 minutes, UConn ran pretty much the same play every time down the court. And every time down, instead of getting over the top of the screen or cutting the man off before he can use the screen, our guards would basically just "give up" and allow themselves to get screened. This forced the wing to come up to engage the penetrating guard, who made an easy pass to the corner for the wide open three. So frustrating to watch :bang:

Agreed! I re-watched the game last night. Our guards were getting beat off the dribble in the first half leading to easy dump-off passes. In the second half you are right they attacked James' or Grant's side basically staying away from CJ's side the whole night, but it was the guards in ability to get over the screen and help out the forward that killed us. Also on the weak side CJ needed to control the boards, which he didn't do in the last 2-3 mins before he got pulled and yelled at by JB. Honestly Uconn wasn't missing too much so there aren't going to be a lot of boards to be had but CJ only had 5 and one was offensive. We need needed to dominate the boards the way we were shooting and it didn't happened.

The offense was more concerning we took 20 more shots than Uconn and only made 2 more baskets! They got to the line more than us and hit more 3s. James was 4-9 from 3 the rest of the team was 0-14, but if was can't score down low against this team we can't score down low against anyone!

The quickness of UConn's guards coming off the ball screens exposed the lack of lateral quickness of our guards. That said, Rak did us no favors by not stepping up and cutting off the dribble on several occasions. Doing so forces the ball handler to make a decision with pressure on him. The forwards, particularly Southerland, did not help and recover to shooters well, either. I think it was Dick Bennett who said this is an almost impossible skill for a player to execute. After watching James last night, I think Coach Bennett may be correct.

The quickness of UConn's guards coming off the ball screens exposed the lack of lateral quickness of our guards. That said, Rak did us no favors by not stepping up and cutting off the dribble on several occasions. Doing so forces the ball handler to make a decision with pressure on him. The forwards, particularly Southerland, did not help and recover to shooters well, either. I think it was Dick Bennett who said this is an almost impossible skill for a player to execute. After watching James last night, I think Coach Bennett may be correct.

James was on an island and I think he was a step or two slow, but the entire zone must tilt to the overload because no one person can cover 2 spots all night long. The guards were not getting back into the play at all typically James or whomever is at the forward spot only has to go half way before the guard gets back into the play. Last night the guards never got back into the play.

Haven't seen an SU backcourt get owned like that in quite some time. Everyone talked about how our size would dominate those guys. Oy...

The only problem with Rak stepping up is that the wings were so far out that if Rak steps up to stop dribble presentation, it's an easy layup/dunk for a big down low. The guards need to be able to fight over/hedge on screens and prevent the guards from getting into the lane at all.

The only problem with Rak stepping up is that the wings were so far out that if Rak steps up to stop dribble presentation, it's an easy layup/dunk for a big down low. The guards need to be able to fight over/hedge on screens and prevent the guards from getting into the lane at all.

We agree on that, but Boeheim coaches the bigs (according to his Match-up 2-3 Zone DVD) to step up in that situation as quickly as they can. Doing so then sets in motion what the guards and forwards should do. If there is a shooter on the forward's side, he is to stay with the shooter. If there isn't, he is supposed to pinch down to take away the baseline pass and/or to cover the lane. The beaten guard should hustle back into position (in front of the ball) so the big can get back, and the other guard should look for a shooter near him. The same is actually true when the ball is passed into the high post.

Our guards did not recover to the ball well last night. That was a problem, for sure.

The center spot in the zone is the most difficult to play. The player is asked to do so many things, some of which can be contradictory. That said, Rak needs to be decisive in rotating to allow the other players to do the same. Fair or unfair, that is the case.

We agree on that, but Boeheim coaches the bigs (according to his Match-up 2-3 Zone DVD) to step up in that situation as quickly as they can. Doing so then sets in motion what the guards and forwards should do. If there is a shooter on the forward's side, he is to stay with the shooter. If there isn't, he is supposed to pinch down to take away the baseline pass and/or to cover the lane. The beaten guard should hustle back into position (in front of the ball) so the big can get back, and the other guard should look for a shooter near him. The same is actually true when the ball is passed into the high post.

Our guards did not recover to the ball well last night. That was a problem, for sure.

The center spot in the zone is the most difficult to play. The player is asked to do so many things, some of which can be contradictory. That said, Rak needs to be decisive in rotating to allow the other players to do the same. Fair or unfair, that is the case.

Not only were the guards not recovering, but even if they did cover, they didn't even put their damn hand up to try and distract the shooter. That's elementary school stuff and our guys weren't doing it last night. So disappointing to watch.

Not only were the guards not recovering, but even if they did cover, they didn't even put their damn hand up to try and distract the shooter. That's elementary school stuff and our guys weren't doing it last night. So disappointing to watch.

We totally agree.

Isn't part of that because after fighting over screens all game long even the most in shape college guard gets worn out? If we had anyone else to help out (where is that Trevor Cooney that I heard all about in the summer time - deadeye shooter and supreme athlete?) those guards wouldn't be dead. I know it's a bad excuse, but that's at least a 25% reason for what you saw. Lack of intensity probably makes up the other 75%.

Isn't part of that because after fighting over screens all game long even the most in shape college guard gets worn out? If we had anyone else to help out (where is that Trevor Cooney that I heard all about in the summer time - deadeye shooter and supreme athlete?) those guards wouldn't be dead. I know it's a bad excuse, but that's at least a 25% reason for what you saw. Lack of intensity probably makes up the other 75%.

I can buy the logic here. Coach B says that the players are young men and should be able to play 40 minutes with no problems given the amount of timeouts and such. I tend to think your rationale here is part of the equation, though.

For the life of me I can't figure out why our guards at the top of the zone did not adjust to the screens being set on them. For about the last 10 minutes, UConn ran pretty much the same play every time down the court. And every time down, instead of getting over the top of the screen or cutting the man off before he can use the screen, our guards would basically just "give up" and allow themselves to get screened. This forced the wing to come up to engage the penetrating guard, who made an easy pass to the corner for the wide open three. So frustrating to watch :bang:
Many of UCONNs screens were 3-4 feet beyond the 3 pt line. I was waiting for us to adjust and go under the screen. Let them have the deep 3. I would rather keep them out of the paint.

MCW was certainly gassed. He needs to work on his conditioning (among other things) if he's gonna be playing 3-4 games a week in the NBA next year.

Many of UCONNs screens were 3-4 feet beyond the 3 pt line. I was waiting for us to adjust and go under the screen. Let them have the deep 3. I would rather keep them out of the paint.

I noticed that as well and thought they would do the same thing. Must be a directive they have to go over the screen.

MCW was certainly gassed. He needs to work on his conditioning (among other things) if he's gonna be playing 3-4 games a week in the NBA next year.

He'll be watching most of those.

He won't be playing 38 minutes in a game next year, however.

He'll be watching most of those.
Yep. As ready as MCW appears to be for the draft, he is not ready to actually play in the NBA. His predicted draft position places him near where Austin Rivers and Jeremy Lamb were drafted, players with similar body types if nothing else. Rivers is a no apologies gunner/scorer whereas Lamb is a more rounded player who is a far better shooter than MCW. Rivers has started every game for the Hornets and is averaging 23 minutes, 6 points per game. Lamb is averaging 4 minutes and 1.7 points per game for OKC. Some of that may have to do with the teams each is with but bottom line is MCW can expect a lot of pine time next year in the NBA. I know he has to go because of the money (and his age), but after minimal time last year going to the NBA would almost be like repeating last year (eating steaks and drinking Courvoisier every night though).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom