Sean Miller on his Arizona tea - "I can't get them to play hard." | Syracusefan.com

Sean Miller on his Arizona tea - "I can't get them to play hard."

Deano

All American
"With our team, it's really hard to get our guys to run as fast as they can. That's not them. That's me. I have a hard time reaching our guys. I can't reach them, I really can't.''

Maybe if he and the boosters give them a pay raise they would.

I think it's funny to a slimy coach like him this is happening.

Arizona's Miller 'can't reach' struggling Wildcats

I get your point about it being funny that it is happening to Miller but college basketball sucks this year. The best games I have seen are the Big East games. Butler, Nova, and Providence are fun to watch. Too many teams don't seem to have any idea what it takes to win consistently in the major conferences.

I get your point about it being funny that it is happening to Miller but college basketball sucks this year. The best games I have seen are the Big East games. Butler, Nova, and Providence are fun to watch. Too many teams don't seem to have any idea what it takes to win consistently in the major conferences.

College b-ball in general in the last few years has been hard to watch. I know someone posted that in another thread a week or so ago but it's true. Give me the days when we had kids staying 3-4 years and the game was great. This one and done has really killed college b-ball which in turn has affected the NBA product.

"With our team, it's really hard to get our guys to run as fast as they can. That's not them. That's me. I have a hard time reaching our guys. I can't reach them, I really can't.''

Maybe if he and the boosters give them a pay raise they would.

I think it's funny to a slimy coach like him this is happening.

Arizona's Miller 'can't reach' struggling Wildcats

Very sad that kids won’t play hard for themselves, teammates, the university and for their coaches. Some tough love may be in order out in Tucson.

These kids don’t know how to play hard or play for a team. They can do lots of cool two ball dribbling drills though!

Everything is too individualized all the way up.

Back in my day ...

Uphill both ways ...

Loaded 16 tons, whaddya get ...

On a hitting home relating matter, listening to Frank Howard after this pathetic loss was brutal. Saying that our guys basically weren't giving it their all with the same grit and gumption they did earlier in the year and becoming somewhat complacent by their apparent early season success is a joke. Having a false belief they've actually already accomplished/proved something only solidifies the deep lack of leadership this team has. Hello Frank (McFly) neither you nor this team have proven anything this season, and to think that (if true) you guys had already done so, well, shame on you as the floor (pseudo) general of this current team. :(:mad:

Watch the video of the last 17 seconds of play. Notre Dame rallies late to hand Syracuse basketball its 2nd straight loss

I think after TB's final turnover, watch Frank and Marek slow down and not hustle down to rebound a possible missed shot. Pfluger got that rebound and put back because he hustled down court and didn't stop to just watch the play unlike Frank and Marek. That was just laziness, a lack of any sense of urgency, not fatigue - an actual visual of the conscious decision to let other teammates do the work. I'm certain we could look at a number of clips where mistakes, laziness etc occurred where the players committing the mistakes or lapses changed, but this last clip seems to me to be a synopsis of a losing attitude and lack of real teamwork at even the most crucial part of the game.

College b-ball in general in the last few years has been hard to watch. I know someone posted that in another thread a week or so ago but it's true. Give me the days when we had kids staying 3-4 years and the game was great. This one and done has really killed college b-ball which in turn has affected the NBA product.

Yep positively affected the NBA product according in any factual metric you can measure

On a hitting home relating matter, listening to Frank Howard after this pathetic loss was brutal. Saying that our guys basically weren't giving it their all with the same grit and gumption they did earlier in the year and becoming somewhat complacent by their apparent early season success is a joke. Having a false belief they've actually already accomplished/proved something only solidifies the deep lack of leadership this team has. Hello Frank (McFly) neither you nor this team have proven anything this season, and to think that (if true) you guys had already done so, well, shame on you as the floor (pseudo) general of this current team. :(:mad:
Soooo, they're not quite ready to start flashing the "Dynasty" fingersigns?

Really unfortunate. I’m not saying this loss is on Frank but he did us no favors yesterday. 4 more turnovers in a low possession game. That lob attempt to Chukwu had no chance. It was defended. Even as offensively challeneged as we are all you really need is a PG who can get by the defense and cause them problems. Then you get the easy dump offs, lobs, etc. I rewatched the game just now. In the M2M he couldn’t get by Flueger then in the zone (they kept on getting by us at will but missing easy shots) I counted only FOUR POSSESSIONS the whole game where he actually got past a defender via screen or split the zone up top. One ended up as a charge, one was the TO to Chukwu, and the others were passes to Tyus and Brissett for threes. IMO, it’s a combination of him being too hesitant and too slow. He just can’t get by these guys consistently. I don’t see how one can argue this. I mean how many damn times a game is he going to have to say or point that it is his fault. That stuff can’t keep happening. 6 more TOs against Wake Forest. The kid has become a pretty good scorer and a pretty good shooter from deep. He has pretty good vision. He’s becoming a solid 2G which is what he truly is. I’ve just never been more nervous watching any kid handle the ball as a lead guard on any team anywhere as I am with him. Very lucky they aren’t hitting him with carries as well.

Now, there were plenty of good passes any dummy can make from him to Dolezaj or him to Oshae in the high post. Or Dolezaj to Oshae there. They GOTTA knock those short jumpers down. Still, as in last year we are living with the jump shots since there is very little dribble penetration going on this year. Gillon had moments but he was so hesitant. He certainly had the speed but he played like a 2G.

Tyus continues to make a lot of bad plays. He gave up a couple of token threes again where he just forgets about a shooter and/or doesn’t slide over in time. They weren’t distorting the zone much either. I can live with Oshae struggling at times with those corner threes but Tyus has to be better than this.

Hopefully Bourama’s issue isn’t going to be a continuing problem going into next year. We need another big in here next year. Someone strong and physical. I think it was CuseinCincy who posted about Bazely’s most recent game commenting on how he is more like a 2G than a forward. He sort of reminds me of DerMarr Johnson. If Bourama is going to to continue to have problems and if Pascal still can’t put on weight and/or improve his offense then we will be another jumpshooting team with very little paint production. Marek ain’t going to be Ivan Drago next year. I hope we can bring a gritty and strong big man in.

Last edited:

I can only assume you watch Syracuse basketball and not much else.

#1. NCAA Basketball is not where it was in the 3/4 year days, but those days have not existed for over 15 years. College basketball is actually pretty decent this year in terms of game play, and is certainly not regressing. Probably better then where it was 4 or 5 years ago.

#2. Your comment about the NBA being killed. It is as at the highest skill level it has been in a very long time.

I think the NBA calling fouls, fouls had the most to do with that.

NBA refs favor offense, college favors defense. Now what's more fun to watch?

NBA product is great. The guys getting hurt are the early entries who are just AAAA churn.

upload_2018-1-11_22-26-27.png

Things are not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom