SEC's Slive..."we can expand to 16 quickly and teams would surprise U" | Syracusefan.com

SEC's Slive..."we can expand to 16 quickly and teams would surprise U"

arbitragegls

All Conference
from ESPNinsider and CBSsports, Sive indicates that the two they would want are:
NCState and VT...now that is a surprise. But SEC wants into Raleigh market as well as Virgina and DC.

Regardless how we all feel, the ACC better go after ND hard and try to get before a beginning leak turns into a swampped boat.

So what does the ACC do to get on top of all this media BS...if it is bs. We best get going.

The media keeps bringing up all these rumors, I am just curious where the teams would get the $20 mil needed to buy out of the ACC if any of these were even true. I am sure the money they would get to join another conference wouldn't make up for that huge out of pocket expense.

now that sec and big 12 signed a new years day bowl it makes good sense to raid the acc,but they are picking on the wrong states.

north carolina and duke could pressure the state pols to cut as much state funding to atheletics as possible and virginia has a lot of stroke in their state also.

most likely is is to put some pressure on clemson,fsu and or miami to bolt.

Why would the state legislatures be against things that would generate more revenue in their states? The SEC would be great for both the states of NC and VA. TV stations alone would reap more add dollars, more corporate sponsors, a move to host the title game at FedEx (which is 5 minutes from VA) and NC.

And both schools probably have deeper ties to their leglatures, being the bigger ag schools.

from ESPNinsider and CBSsports, Sive indicates that the two they would want are:
NCState and VT...now that is a surprise. But SEC wants into Raleigh market as well as Virgina and DC.

Regardless how we all feel, the ACC better go after ND hard and try to get before a beginning leak turns into a swampped boat.

So what does the ACC do to get on top of all this media BS...if it is bs. We best get going.
Haha if they want to take those two schools go right ahead. Trim the fat off. What do either of those teams really bring to the table?

Haha if they want to take those two schools go right ahead. Trim the fat off. What do either of those teams really bring to the table?

Quite honestly, I do not see any scenario where NCState breaks off from Duke and UNC. No way. They are part of the Research Triangle, have HUGE ties in sports other than football, etc. I don't see it happening. I'd bet Bill Gate's pay check on it. Slive is a blowhard that likes to puff his chest and hear himself talk. Every time the SEC wins a NC, the worse he gets. I doubt Tech leaves either after all the political favors that were cashed in to even get them into the ACC.

Quite honestly, I do not see any scenario where NCState breaks off from Duke and UNC. No way. They are part of the Research Triangle, have HUGE ties in sports other than football, etc. I don't see it happening. I'd bet Bill Gate's pay check on it. Slive is a blowhard that likes to puff his chest and hear himself talk. Every time the SEC wins a NC, the worse he gets. I doubt Tech leaves either after all the political favors that were cashed in to even get them into the ACC.

I actually agree with this. Which is different than saying NC State and VT have so little value that losing them could be considered "trimming the fat".

Cheers,
Neil

I actually agree with this. Which is different than saying NC State and VT have so little value that losing them could be considered "trimming the fat".

Cheers,
Neil
of course they are probably the lowest rated academic schools in the acc---and would fit in the sec. but the reality is that its time to come down hard on the questionable practices and phony academia in the southeastern conference.

Oh Lord And this is suppose to be the "smart" board?

Cheers,
Neil
Bit of an exaggeration but it would be better than losing Clemson or FSU from a football standpoint.

Bit of an exaggeration but it would be better than losing Clemson or FSU from a football standpoint.

Agreed. But the only reason why VT would consider leaving, remember they already rebuffed the SEC's advances earlier this year which is why the SEC had to settle on Missouri, is if FSU and Clemson leave. For the Jokies, the ACC is their dream conference.

Cheers,
Neil

Nothing could surprise me unless Syracuse

jumped jumped th ship before we actually got in. THAT would be about the only thing really. IT won't happen of course but you can bet someone is looking at the idea.:crazy:

How much do you want to bet that when the latest rumor dust settles Swofford still has both his conference intact and a strong position for the future? Swofford is no dummy. I just don't see a situation where Slive and whoever is running the Big 12 would get the better of him. He is not the type of guy that will be left holding his **** in his hand at the end of the day. You gotta trust the guy. He has a strong track record. This isn't the Providence Puppet Show, after all.

How much do you want to bet that when the latest rumor dust settles Swofford still has both his conference intact and a strong position for the future? Swofford is no dummy. I just don't see a situation where Slive and whoever is running the Big 12 would get the better of him. He is not the type of guy that will be left holding his **** in his hand at the end of the day. You gotta trust the guy. He has a strong track record. This isn't the Providence Puppet Show, after all.

He does. But I think we need to admit that what he has accomplished has been done mostly on "potential". Perhaps it's finally time "reality" caught up?

Obviously I hope that isn't the case.

Cheers,
Neil

He does. But I think we need to admit that what he has accomplished has been done mostly on "potential". Perhaps it's finally time "reality" caught up?

Obviously I hope that isn't the case.

Cheers,
Neil

Bringing in the Miami Hurricanes was "potential?". Swofford's biggest problem is that FSU and Miami haven't been the FSU and Miami that they once were, and still should be/can be.

Swofford still has ESPN. They won't let the ACC die, just like they wouldn't let the Big 12 die.

Bringing in the Miami Hurricanes was "potential?". Swofford's biggest problem is that FSU and Miami haven't been the FSU and Miami that they once were, and still should be/can be.

Swofford still has ESPN. They won't let the ACC die, just like they wouldn't let the Big 12 die.

Even with Miami, it could be argued that the ESPN/Raycom combo overpaid for the ACC back in 2004 considering the football tv contract was on equal footing then with both the Big Ten and the SEC with a lesser overall quality. It's one of the reasons why I give Swofford his props.

As for the latter comment, ESPN is already paying more per football game to the Big 12 (before the new contract is even signed which will only increase the disparity) than they are for every single ACC football game under the ACC new contract. So I think the ESPN will save the day thinking (which I, myself, thought was going to be the case) has been proven to be incorrect at least if one assumes ESPN is not going to renegotiate the deal they just signed - again.

Cheers,
Neil

I don't think the situations are mutually exclusive. One pair could go to the Big 12, another to the SEC, no?

Why wouldn't the Commonwealth of Virginia want VT in the SEC? Better potential for VT vs UVA in a Championship game.