Sector SPDRs May Madness: Men's DI Bracketology, Sixth Look (IL) | Syracusefan.com

Sector SPDRs May Madness: Men's DI Bracketology, Sixth Look (IL)

orange79

Internet Sleuth
upload_2015-5-3_16-35-34.png

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...adness-men-s-di-bracketology-sixth-look/31960

Mileage Sccenarios

One of the difficult variables that the selection committee has to weigh is the distance between universities that could potentially match up in the first round.

The NCAA has implemented a 400-mile limit on bus rides; distances beyond that require the visiting team to travel by plane. From a cost perspective, however, the NCAA provides a guideline that limits first round matchups requiring air travel to two; in some years, the committee has received an exception to provide a third flight.

The middle ground is: the committee tries to maintain "bracket integrity" (i.e. seeding the bracket from the first to the 16th team), however makes concessions in an effort keep costs down.

The issue particularly pertains to Denver and Notre Dame because of their comparatively remote locations; both teams are presumed to host, yet Ohio State to Notre Dame is the only feasible first round matchup wtihin 400 miles based on our bracket projection. Maryland, on the other hand, could theoretically host any team presumed to be on the road in the first round.

upload_2015-5-3_16-39-48.png

Everyone seems to have Cuse Duke Albany and Denver on the same side of the bracket. Gotta think the committee will shake it up somehow

Everyone seems to have Cuse Duke Albany and Denver on the same side of the bracket. Gotta think the committee will shake it up somehow
You may be right, but I hope the shake-up doesn't include UNC. I don't want to see them before the NC game, if at all. Those 4 on one side of the bracket makes sense to me, given the overall seeding.

Interesting idea: Notre Dame will be a 3 seed and will host Ohio State as a way of addressing the transportation issues. The committee has done stuff like this before. UNC would be the 2. That would be a real screw job on Notre Dame, not that there is anything wrong with that.

You may be right, but I hope the shake-up doesn't include UNC. I don't want to see them before the NC game, if at all. Those 4 on one side of the bracket makes sense to me, given the overall seeding.

I get your drift. UNC is the one team that outplayed us. My initial reaction is to want to avoid the 4/5 Duke/Denver winner, but then I realize we would only have to play one of those two teams.

Interesting idea: Notre Dame will be a 3 seed and will host Ohio State as a way of addressing the transportation issues. The committee has done stuff like this before. UNC would be the 2. That would be a real screw job on Notre Dame, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Not to say it couldn't happen, but ND beat UNC, and has more Top 20 wins (albeit one). I think it would be an upset if the 1-2 wasn't SU-UND. But I'm not on the committee.

I get your drift. UNC is the one team that outplayed us. My initial reaction is to want to avoid the 4/5 Duke/Denver winner, but then I realize we would only have to play one of those two teams.
I'm really not sure how we match up with the Pios. But I think I'd like to take my chances. I don't want to see Duke for a 3rd time, especially after having beaten them twice. Then again, we have to play someone... ;)

A few years back the committee chose Duke as number 1 even though Cornell was undefeated and had beaten Duke in Durham. Historically they haven't been married to fairness. They have put something together that works within the parameters they are given. I won't be surprised by whatever they do. I will be surprised if they settle on 3 plane trips.

I'm really not sure how we match up with the Pios. But I think I'd like to take my chances. I don't want to see Duke for a 3rd time, especially after having beaten them twice. Then again, we have to play someone... ;)

Be careful what you wish for. But, I agree. I'd rather play Denver than Duke.