seed lines will be weighted towards computer rankings | Syracusefan.com

seed lines will be weighted towards computer rankings

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
Heard this on the way in to work today, from someone who spoke to a committee member. To get in the bracket it's Quadrants, eye test, who you beat, etc.. When they have the teams decided, the seed lines will be heavily weighted toward computer numbers as they are a predictive measures of success. Thoughts?

My thought is that this isn’t the right thing to do if they’re primarily using the NET.

NC State is a good example. They are ranked 30th in the NET, and lower in every other reputable computer metric I’ve seen. NET is too heavily weighted towards rewarding efficiency and doesn’t value who you’ve played nearly as much. So because NC State crushed low majors while playing a schedule that ranks 353 in non-conference SOS, they’ve been rewarded by NET. In reality, that’s not the 30th best team in college basketball.

I’ll be interested to see how the committee seeds these teams with outlier NET rankings. They shouldn’t be putting too much weight on the NET in year 1 and should instead focus on fixing its obvious flaws for future years.