Selection Committee To Monitor Embiid Injury | Syracusefan.com

Selection Committee To Monitor Embiid Injury

This is super annoying to read about. This would NEVER be talked about if this were happening to our team. NCAA constantly one up's itself.

So0ooooooooo, they're going to watch Sportscenter?

I'm sure Kansas is going to err on the side that gets them the best seed. Why wouldn't they?

AKA we know you are lying and there is no chance he is going to come back but we need to pretend we are doing out due diligence to still give you favorable seeding.

This is such total BS. Are we going to get any consideration for Grant? No. But yet Kansas will get a #2 seed.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ee-monitor-injury-joel-embiid-kansas-jayhawks

This is a totally different situation then the Grant injury. Grant is back and established he is healthy.

They are not looking to up the Kansas seed based on the W/L they have accomplished - they are looking to downgrade the seed they earned, because looking forward Embiid may not be on the team.

I personally think downgrading the seed would be unfair,. I hate for the committee to play the what if / god game (either upgrading or downgrading seeds). Assess W/L and seed accordingly. You earn your seed based on what you have done, not what they expect you to do.

Last edited:
This is a totally different situation then the Grant injury. Grant is back and established he is healthy.

They are not looking to up the Kansas seed based on the W/L they have accomplished - they are looking to downgrade the seed they earned, because looking forward Embiid may not be on the team.

I personally think downgrading the seed would be unfair,. I hate for the committee to play the what if / god game (either upgrading or downgrading seeds). Assess W/L and seed accordingly. You earn your seed based on what you have done, not what they expect you to do.

Great point. I guess I misunderstood the point of the article.

Great point. I guess I misunderstood the point of the article.

Kansas has got the benefit of the doubt so much this year, I think it is only natural to go into any article on them thinking they are going to get it again and have some losses reversed.

And who knows, that may have actually happened if Embiid had come back in B12 tourney -- unfairly again from my view.

One other thought.

I think this confirms that committee is still considering Kansas for a #1 seed based on W/L which is absurd.

The instances where downgrade's have occurred or were considered based on ??? that we know about (Loren Woods and Emeka Okafor per article above, Onauku) were all for team's that were still considered for the #1 line.

I don't think they would make as much effort to downgrade a non #1 seed

I think he raises an interesting point about whether the committee's role is to reward what teams have done or project what they think they will do in the tournament. I absolutely think it should be based on what you've done, and the only reason I can see that the prognosticators have us as a low 2 or even 3 seed is that they're trying to project what we'll do. Only two power conference teams have fewer losses than us, but everyone is over-weighting losing 4 out of the last 6 with some close games before that (and close shouldn't matter either). I hope the committee really does look at what teams have done rather than try to predict the future.

i get the reward what you have accomplished line of thinking, but at the same time, Embiid is at worst, their second most important player? If he isn't there, I think it's very fair to assume Kansas isn't quite the same team.

I do understand you kind of get into a slippery slope after that; because they don't want to focus just on the last few games if one team has been playing a lot better/worse lately, but to me, if a team is losing an important player, I would consider that when I seed them

Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops
not dropping below a 2 no matter what RT @MattBuek: Wow many games in the Big XII tournament does Kansas need win not to drop?

This is the crap that bothers me. Without Embiid and if they lose to Oklahoma State then the Jayhawks need to be a 3 seed.

Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops
not dropping below a 2 no matter what RT @MattBuek: Wow many games in the Big XII tournament does Kansas need win not to drop?

This is the crap that bothers me. Without Embiid and if they lose to Oklahoma State then the Jayhawks need to be a 3 seed.

I don't know if they need to be a 3 seed in that case, but I'd be inclined to agree. However, I wouldn't get too worked up over what Seth Davis says, he makes his living being wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom