September wasn't that long ago - why did it take this long to put lineman in the right place? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

September wasn't that long ago - why did it take this long to put lineman in the right place?

someone who can't snap the ball in september well enough isn't likely to become good enough in november

i think it's way more likely that they are correcting a mistake, which is good
Nobody Said or inferred that he couldn't snap the ball. He inferred that he wasn't ready early in the season, why he wasn't ready really, we dont know.

Dino also said he had been working at that position since August in practice. How much work he was doing outside of practice...we dont know that either or how hard he worked on it. Whether that work was on snapping or learning calls and technique, we dont know that either.

We do know that he is ready now based on his play.
I fear that this was done because Heckel wont be back, ever. Praying I am wrong.

Coaches make mistakes. Not moving Vet much earlier in the season, not playing Berg earlier in the season in hindsight were both coaching mistakes. It happens.
Look at VT. Now that they have made a QB change they are a completely different team.
College coaching is a crap shoot. It is the poster boy of the Peter Principal. Guys like Dino move up the ladder and out of loyalty bring their staffs with them. Unfortunately the assistants in many cases are not as capable as the main guy and struggle at the higher level.
Dino is very capable of successfully running a D1 power program. Some of his assistants are struggling to keep up. Its going to be interesting to see what additional changes Dino makes post season. My list includes the QB coach being let go ( wont happen) so reassigned. A new Oline coach. A new LB coach if Stanard gets the DC job and a new WR coach. Guys that seem ok: Ferri Lustig Swag Reynolds Stanard.
Out: Cav Martin.
On the hot seat: Lynch.

Coaches make mistakes. Not moving Vet much earlier in the season, not playing Berg earlier in the season in hindsight were both coaching mistakes. It happens.
Look at VT. Now that they have made a QB change they are a completely different team.
College coaching is a crap shoot. It is the poster boy of the Peter Principal. Guys like Dino move up the ladder and out of loyalty bring their staffs with them. Unfortunately the assistants in many cases are not as capable as the main guy and struggle at the higher level.
Dino is very capable of successfully running a D1 power program. Some of his assistants are struggling to keep up. Its going to be interesting to see what additional changes Dino makes post season. My list includes the QB coach being let go ( wont happen) so reassigned. A new Oline coach. A new LB coach if Stanard gets the DC job and a new WR coach. Guys that seem ok: Ferri Lustig Swag Reynolds Stanard.
Out: Cav Martin.
On the hot seat: Lynch.
Ferri is inside WR and Lustig is outside WR. Both have been pretty good coaches and great recruiters.
I agree OL needs a shake up but WR might not be that huge of issue once the OL is figured out, last few games should tell more

someone who can't snap the ball in september well enough isn't likely to become good enough in november

i think it's way more likely that they are correcting a mistake, which is good
He had troubles snapping the ball, never said he couldn't snap it.
Practice does make kids better.
End of the day we will never know if the whole staff made a huge 9 game mistake or if the kid just needed more time learning the position.

Ferri is inside WR and Lustig is outside WR. Both have been pretty good coaches and great recruiters.
I agree OL needs a shake up but WR might not be that huge of issue once the OL is figured out, last few games should tell more
Im underwhelmed with our WR play and pecking order. Cam possess the physicality we are missing on the outside, Where is Q? Why no discipline for Harris?
I agree both Ferri and Lustig are keepers im just saying that the WR group has been average at best.

Nobody Said or inferred that he couldn't snap the ball. He inferred that he wasn't ready early in the season, why he wasn't ready really, we dont know.

Dino also said he had been working at that position since August in practice. How much work he was doing outside of practice...we dont know that either or how hard he worked on it. Whether that work was on snapping or learning calls and technique, we dont know that either.

I fear that this was done because Heckel wont be back, ever. Praying I am wrong.
In terms of what you said on how you fear Heckel being done forever here at SU. I have an odd feeling that may be the case. Just a gut feeling. Even if he does get “healthy” at this point isn’t it more beneficial to use Vett at C here on out? I mean he wasn’t extraordinary, but I think he held his own. I liked what I saw from the line and I say we keep vett at C as he has 3 more years after this season. He could truly anchor the center spot for 3 more years, that’s huge.

Maybe it took a redshirt freshman until the 10th game of the season until he was ready to play center?

It may have also taken a true frosh [Bergeron] part way into the season for his understanding of the playbook and his blocking assignments to catch up with his physical capabilities.

much of oline play is learning to play together.. when you have mostly new guys in new spots its hard to play games and also make changes. I think the oline played better, but its gonna be a few games before you really know if they did or if Duke played into it.. Much of our best running was late in the game, we went almost 2 quarters with very little offense. we need to run better in running spots before you know its working

these are the key running plays. 1st down teams mostly dont know whats coming so i removed those except for down on the goal line.

11 plays 4 i would say we blocked well and 7 we did nothing.

2nd and 4 run for 33 great run
4th and 1, no hole neal steals a FD
2nd and goal.. nice run for TD by TD
2nd and 5. no gain
2nd and 6, 1 yd
2nd and 4, 1 yd run
2nd and 3, 1 yd run
3rd and 2, 5 yd run, good job
1st and goal. td run
2nd and 4, 1yd run
3rd and 3 1 yd run

then it started to really change
4/37/28 td
14/2/9/10/9/17/17 td

140 yds of rushing these 2 drives

140 for the rest of the game..

i have to see the same result vs UL/Wake before I say we made changes that worked.

I will say we saw holes in one game that we better than almost all the holes we had all season combined.

If Alexander didn't bail on the program, do any of these changes happen?

Really hoping we finish strong in '19, and liking how the pieces are stacking up for the future. We will know a lot more after Saturday. The Duke "epiphany" has me fired up.

i will take his word that he wasn't ready until this game. but he wasn't ready to play tackle either! that has to be part of the equation
Who would you have played at instead of him? He was the best we had there with Servais at center.

It's pretty simple.

i know what babers said. i would say the same thing

Who would you have played at instead of him? He was the best we had there with Servais at center.

It's pretty simple.
i would've preferred this switch much earlier, how many times do i need to say it.

well we beat the D issues over our heads for weeks too and then made a huge change.. as bad as the D was they still got blown up in 2 games had two ehh games WMU/fsu and then the other 5 allowed 0-3-6-16-27 which is fine if the Offense did what we expected. if we beat nc st and Pitt by scoring 30 and are 6-4 are we firing the DC? if we scored like last yr we are 7-3 which is about the same as last yr with 1 ND blow out and one bad effort vs Pitt.

i dont think we ever know why they waited so long but they had to have reasons? A better offense and the BC game becomes a winnable shootout even as bad as the D was and the same for FSU.

the only difference in SU and OK is that they scored the pts to pull out games where the D was awful in 3 of the 4 games

i would've preferred this switch much earlier, how many times do i need to say it.
Well, you can't have it.

Unless you have a time machine.

Well, you can't have it.

Unless you have a time machine.

Does Dino wish he had one? That’s the big question. Coaches are paranoid by nature when it comes to pulling the trigger on such moves. Was it perfectly timed based on progress or did he do it because his back was against the wall?

Speaking of time machines, remember when 88 mph seemed crazy fast? Now it’s just kinda fast, but not nearly a speed that would take you back 30 years so your mom could try to make out with you.

Does Dino wish he had one? That’s the big question. Coaches are paranoid by nature when it comes to pulling the trigger on such moves. Was it perfectly timed based on progress or did he do it because his back was against the wall?

Speaking of time machines, remember when 88 mph seemed crazy fast? Now it’s just kinda fast, but not nearly a speed that would take you back 30 years so your mom could try to make out with you.
Keep that time machine away from TTs Mom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom