Serious question regarding BE name | Syracusefan.com

Serious question regarding BE name

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
With the Big East name now going to the basketball schools, will they also take the automatic bids for the NCAA tournament? Will schools like Uconn and Cinci have to win the "Whatever-the-hell-it's-called" conference tournament to get into the big dance?

Interesting question, but I think the "Big Crap" will still retain its bid. Conference has not dissolved, it just sold its name and gave itself a new name, its has enough teams.

IIRC, the Catholic 7 meets the minimum threshold for teams disbanding to from a new conference and to get an auto bid. I think it had to be at least 7 teams.

All conferences that have tournaments only have the tourney winner automatically get it. Even the current Big East. the is no auto-in if you win the conference Championship (with the exception of the Ivy League). Whatever new conference is created will submit application to the NCAA and it will be granted. One at-large is going to be lost.

The rule may have changed ... but back in the beginning of the Big East, a conference had to be in existence for a certain number of years before its tourney winner got an automatic bid. That is why in 1981 -- after we beat Nova in the three-OT title game -- we did not get a bid. We instead went to the NIT... where we lost the title to Tulsa (and Nolan RIchardson) in OT at MSG

The "Old Big East" will keep its' AQ.

The "New Big East" will get an immediate AQ because at least 7 of the schools have played together for a min of 5 years.

There will be 32 AQ's and 36 at-large spots starting next year.

The rule may have changed ... but back in the beginning of the Big East, a conference had to be in existence for a certain number of years before its tourney winner got an automatic bid. That is why in 1981 -- after we beat Nova in the three-OT title game -- we did not get a bid. We instead went to the NIT... where we lost the title to Tulsa (and Nolan RIchardson) in OT at MSG
I refer to it as "The 1st Snub"

Interesting question, but I think the "Big Crap" will still retain its bid. Conference has not dissolved, it just sold its name and gave itself a new name, its has enough teams.

IIRC, the Catholic 7 meets the minimum threshold for teams disbanding to from a new conference and to get an auto bid. I think it had to be at least 7 teams.
I think I heard they're adding Butler and Xavier too.

If you're going to pooch Xavier and Butler from the A10 why not take Dayton and St. Louis as well. That's a pretty good league.

If you're going to pooch Xavier and Butler from the A10 why not take Dayton and St. Louis as well. That's a pretty good league.

Butler and Xavier next season.

Dayton, St Louis, and Creighton the season after that.

Old news.

Confirmed by ESPN last night.
I think that's where I heard it this morning. I'm definitely not what anyone would consider an insider, haha.

I think that's where I heard it this morning. I'm definitely not what anyone would consider an insider, haha.

I just happened to see it scroll during the Gonzaga/BYU game last night.