Class of 2023 - SF Marcus Adams (CA) Offered | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 SF Marcus Adams (CA) Offered

College basketball as we know it is not long for this world. The athletes are semi-pro. They will unionize and demand a share of the gate. The current situation is unstable. Who knows what will happen. Will college teams become NBA farm teams? Will colleges lease out their stadiums to a new organization? Does the G league become AAA status and power conferences AA? The rest A? Amateurs only in Div. 2? What happens to nonmonetary sports when excess revenue is no longer availale?
One issue with that is Title IX requirements.

I have a feeling that Adam offered this young man X amount of $ and he's perhaps looking at X+$. Don't blame him whatsoever, it's the way it is now. Heck...UCLA might have to just match it or be close.

Roster makeup will also play in his decision. JB coming back or not might also affect his decision.

And all she had to do was undergo hormone therapy, and become a National pariah, so she could win at a non-revenue sport.

totally worth it. :rolleyes:

Point remains that it changes the entire landscape of Title IX.

And all she had to do was undergo hormone therapy, and become a National pariah, so she could win at a non-revenue sport.

totally worth it. :rolleyes:
I don’t think swimming with women was fair to the women, but I never believed the changes were undergone to win swimming events. (To be fair, I don’t think that was HoustonCuse’s point.)

I personally have zero insight into what someone must be experiencing to make such a drastic change. It is beyond my Ken. If the topic comes up, I admit my ignorance of the dynamics that lead to such a choice, and don’t judge. “A mile in one’s shoes.”

This study shows it is not the panacea I assume some are hoping for. These outcomes are even more startlingly given the amount of psychiatric groundwork that is laid before, during, and after the surgical procedures.

College basketball as we know it is not long for this world. The athletes are semi-pro. They will unionize and demand a share of the gate. The current situation is unstable. Who knows what will happen. Will college teams become NBA farm teams? Will colleges lease out their stadiums to a new organization? Does the G league become AAA status and power conferences AA? The rest A? Amateurs only in Div. 2? What happens to nonmonetary sports when excess revenue is no longer availale?
Ultimately, revenue sports could be split off from the school and become an athletic institute, similar to how baseball academies are run in South & Central America and soccer/football academies exist in Europe. NIL and the transfer portal have definitely thrown a wrench in the system and all the sprockets and pulleys are exploding. This is an opportunity to remake the revenue sport system in conjunction with the professional leagues. As it is, college football and basketball are untenable and chaotic right now, but it's a good step to remake the system. There's nothing that says the current framework is the only thing that's possible.

I mean, all these guys want is to get to the league. And the whole system needs to recognize that and work with kids to realize their dream as much as possible. College and professional sports rake in billions of dollars per year, but there are hundreds of other jobs in professional sports, marketing, and brand management. Go to the Syracuse University Athletic Institute, commit to a three year contract with the basketball program and you take a handful of classes tailored to the sports industry like sports management, marketing, coaching, physical fitness, announcing/media, accounting, statistics, etc. after your three years are up, you can go pro or transfer to another program. NIL deals have to be reviewed and approved by the NCAA and tampering would be the equivalent to a death penalty.

It seems like he will not be committing in February. It looks like after the AAU cycle now.
Well, his coach told me it's likely to be in 30 to 60 days, so we'll see about that. Lots of moving parts here!

UCLA has deeper pockets than us. I am in the LA area for a couple of weeks. There is more wealth than you can shake a stick at and people are as abundant as ants.

NIL is untethered. The pros have a salary cap and an inverted draft to encourage parity. In the ACC, unlimited NIL will reshuffle the deck. Miami has the deepest pockets.
There will be collusion between donors and staff. Now that the gates are open and the line blurs between NIL and the school, athletes will demand a share of the gate. If this happens, Title IX will collapse. We have not seen the end of change.

Last edited:
Hopefully all the chips go towards getting Marcus Adams here in 2023, keeping Judah for another year, and either getting Jesse back or getting a portal center. Those three plus our core equals a good team.

How I hate, loathe that term "Dream School." It seems to work wonders for other schools but us. For our sake, let's hope that UCLA has other highly ranked players committed and/or better current players at his position who will be back next year.
UCLA was my dream school too. Alas that was before NIL, and of course the lack of hoops talent didn't make me highly, if at all, recruited.

How I hate, loathe that term "Dream School." It seems to work wonders for other schools but us. For our sake, let's hope that UCLA has other highly ranked players committed and/or better current players at his position who will be back next year.
Really unsure if the “Syracuse is my dream school” kids understand the meaning of the word “dream.” Can’t remember the last one that chose us.

I don’t think swimming with women was fair to the women, but I never believed the changes were undergone to win swimming events. (To be fair, I don’t think that was HoustonCuse’s point.)

I personally have zero insight into what someone must be experiencing to make such a drastic change. It is beyond my Ken. If the topic comes up, I admit my ignorance of the dynamics that lead to such a choice, and don’t judge. “A mile in one’s shoes.”

This study shows it is not the panacea I assume some are hoping for. These outcomes are even more startlingly given the amount of psychiatric groundwork that is laid before, during, and after the surgical procedures.
I approach it more from the pov of the women who are screwed out of fair competition and who have to put up with biological males in their locker room.

All good points, and I hear ya about the "dream school" reference. Donnie Freeman has said SU has been a dream school, and he didn't include SU in his top 5, although per Mike M., SU seems to be back in the mix for him.

If he makes that unofficial to the WF game, then one would have to think that is to finalize the NIL deal and that we are the choice. At least, that's how I interpret it.
It’s all Orange, and rational, I like it.