Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

How much due diligence is there to do on our side? The kid is a 5 star stud.
I don’t think this is due to a lack of due diligence on the staffs end. They were on him early and were near a commitment at the home game vs I think it was UNC.

The issue was/is, the kid wanted to commit to Cuse but his circle thought this was too hasty a decision (could be for a variety of reasons we don’t know what the motivation behind stalling is), and as a result this has drawn out longer than I’m sure the staff had hope. Gayle is now in a position to commit and put the staff in a position where they’d feel more comfortable moving on.

Kinda bummed about where this one has headed, just like everyone else. However, what is everyone's take on which of the two, between Chance and Roddy, is actually the better fit for us? I'm not that familiar with either's game, just know that they are both very highly rated and there's been a lot of drooling going on in Roddy's thread. Are either of them bit time shooters? What about handle and ability to get to the basket?

How much due diligence is there to do on our side? The kid is a 5 star stud.
its not always on the kid. Hence why there’s a meeting with lsu and they are now very involved. The kid is a great kid but sometimes you take on more than the kid with this type of talent. Everyone has different scenarios so I am always respectful to everyone on here that SU is recruiting.

I don’t think this is due to a lack of due diligence on the staffs end. They were on him early and were near a commitment at the home game vs I think it was UNC.

The issue was/is, the kid wanted to commit to Cuse but his circle thought this was too hasty a decision (could be for a variety of reasons we don’t know what the motivation behind stalling is), and as a result this has drawn out longer than I’m sure the staff had hope. Gayle is now in a position to commit and put the staff in a position where they’d feel more comfortable moving on.
Correct-a-mundo my friend. And by due diligence on staff end I mean I don’t think they anticipated how involved others would be around him considering the kid was all in early and he was ready to go

I don't think that is even an "issue." The kid is a sophomore in HS -- the family wanted to take a more methodical approach rather than make a quick decision. Nothing wrong with that.

It just goes to show that reporting on recruiting outcomes shouldn't be made in absolutes this far out.

From what I’m hearing, nothing has fundamentally changed in his recruitment. Dad is running the show and SU is exploring other options. I’m extremely bullish on our odds though. I’ll stake my entire rep on that.

that’s why I said “cooling for time being” because I think once family understands how good of a program SU is, it will be an I told you so moment from chance to them...

that’s why I said “cooling for time being” because I think once family understands how good of a program SU is, it will be an I told you so moment from chance to them...

Helicopter parents are the worse. Let the kid make their own decisions.

Thing is that by then it may be too late if Roddy and/or Zion commit.

They could be put in a position where it's not up to them. If someone else takes the scholarship, they're on the outside looking in.

They could be put in a position where it's not up to them. If someone else takes the scholarship, they're on the outside looking in.

My point exactly.

I love the whole "perfect for our system". Great players are great in any system.
Above average players can be great in the perfect system. There aren’t too many “great” players in college hoops so having a system and recruiting to it is important for 99.9% of schools to be a contender consistently.

Florida State and Virginia have been killing it in that sense

Just a little tid bit, but this has been very very quiet on Chance. Roddy has become the focus for weeks now. Roddy is the guy apparently and it is definitely cooling on Chance for the time being... ahh the ups and downs of following the recruitment of 17 and 18 year olds
I suspect because Roddy always liked Cuse and may be willing to commit early. We like early commits. I still think we could get Chance, but disappointed to see his family talking to Will Wade. That guy should be ostracized in the sport.

Above average players can be great in the perfect system. There aren’t too many “great” players in college hoops so having a system and recruiting to it is important for 99.9% of schools to be a contender consistently.

Florida State and Virginia have been killing it in that sense
True, but 5-star guys aren't considered above average. They can fit almost anywhere.

Helicopter parents are the worse. Let the kid make their own decisions.
Disagree. WhenI was a soph in high school I was naive and somewhat immature and dangerously thought I knew everything. Guidance is absolutely necessary but I do despise the helicopter types