Shafer and crew need to coach and stop playing gameboy | Syracusefan.com

Shafer and crew need to coach and stop playing gameboy

kcsu

Living Legend
This staff seems to over coach or coach in a bubble. Gameboy coaches are what my friends label them. Going to a 3-4 against GT with your second best LB out may have looked good in a gameboy enviornment but the reality of this was pure stupidity. Our front 4 is strong against the run has been all year. We needed to crash the DE's and collapse the pocket with Jay. I truly believe that our base D could have stopped GT and i have no idea at all what Shafer and Chuck were thinking. Crazy stupid gameboy type coaching needs to stop. I have been a huge Shafer fan and will continue to support him but regardless of yesterdays score thinking that we could pull off a 3-4 against GT with one week to prep is not hard nosed it is hard headed.

I was ok with "trying" the game boy 3-4 but they didn't have a backup plan if that didn't work. Clearly showed their inexperience as they only had 1 defensive plan in place.

shafer is coaching scared- he brought in all his old friends for comfort-not because they are great
this was a huge mistake-

if he doesnt start to grow as a head coach it will be a very short career

shafer is coaching scared- he brought in all his old friends for comfort-not because they are great
this was a huge mistake-

Or, maybe he brought in all his old friends because it was the middle of January and he wanted to try and salvage most of the recruiting class?

It's not like he was hired after Thanksgiving and he had 2 full months to assemble a staff.

I agree but now depending on how this season goes he will have some hard calls to make as these are his friends and i for one do not see him letting Chuck go. The good news is that because Chuck is a friend he can simply tell him what to do and become more involved. This D has taken a major step back and with the talent we have back there is no reason for it. Yes we lost a couple of good players but on paper this is a much stronger D than we had last year. The only change is the coach

This staff seems to over coach or coach in a bubble. Gameboy coaches are what my friends label them. Going to a 3-4 against GT with your second best LB out may have looked good in a gameboy enviornment but the reality of this was pure stupidity. Our front 4 is strong against the run has been all year. We needed to crash the DE's and collapse the pocket with Jay. I truly believe that our base D could have stopped GT and i have no idea at all what Shafer and Chuck were thinking. Crazy stupid gameboy type coaching needs to stop. I have been a huge Shafer fan and will continue to support him but regardless of yesterdays score thinking that we could pull off a 3-4 against GT with one week to prep is not hard nosed it is hard headed.

The staff, by their own admission, have been game planning for GT since Feb. and prepped for it once a week since this summer.

The staff, by their own admission, have been game planning for GT since Feb. and prepped for it once a week since this summer.

and it totally showed yesterday...

if that doesnt bring up nightmares about robinson what will?

Everything about this scares the **** out of me.

Everything about this scares the **** out of me.

What worries me is the fact that record books are being consulted with each new epic loss in the ACC.

Having said that, I think we need to temper jumping to absolute conclusions about this staff's ability at this point in time. The NC St game was an indication of the good this group is capable of. But, I am not blind to the fact that the "evidence" is mounting in a negative direction. Let's see what happens with the WF game and the remainder of the season.

I felt at the start of the year that 6 wins and a bowl game were THE goals of success, and not the minimum expectations. I still feel that way, and those goals are still within reach. But, I don't think we will be favored to win any of those games, including WF at home.

Or, maybe he brought in all his old friends because it was the middle of January and he wanted to try and salvage most of the recruiting class?

It's not like he was hired after Thanksgiving and he had 2 full months to assemble a staff.

Don't believe that for a second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom